• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Vibration Free!

DCM

Reaction score
Visit site
I’ve had a good number of bikes and currently ride a 2015 NC700X. My question to you is, which bike has the smoothest vibration-free ride, particularly, the handlebars.

I’ve had a good number of bikes and currently ride a 2015 NC700X. My question to you is, which bike has the smoothest vibration-free ride, particularly, the handlebars.
Are you asking to separate the suspension ride characteristics from engine vibration? Both my NC and BMW R1200RT transmit low frequency vibrations to the grips while my 2006 Goldwing transmits virtually none. However the Goldwing front forks are not as good as the NC and RT forks plus the Wing has long aluminum handlebars (think wheelbarrow handles) that accentuate road shocks coming through the forks.

Of the ones I own, from least motor/engine vibration to most:

Zero DSR (least vibration)
Goldwing 1800
NC700X and Ruckus scooter (tie)
CRF250L Rally (most vibration)

While engine vibration is worst on the CRF dual sport, it’s long travel plush suspension and large wheel diameters probably offers the smoothest ride over rough roads.

Are you asking to separate the suspension ride characteristics from engine vibration? Both my NC and BMW R1200RT transmit low frequency vibrations to the grips while my 2006 Goldwing transmits virtually none. However the Goldwing front forks are not as good as the NC and RT forks plus the Wing has long aluminum handlebars (think wheelbarrow handles) that accentuate road shocks coming through the forks.
I’m specifically referring to handlebar vibration. Good shocks/suspension is nice, but increasingly handlebar vibration makes my left hand go numb.

I’m specifically referring to handlebar vibration. Good shocks/suspension is nice, but increasingly handlebar vibration makes my left hand go numb.
Well to make it more complex, the frequency of the vibration may also be Important. High frequency buzzing may make hands numb, while low frequency rumbling may not. The NC, being a low reving twin, has a low frequency, non numbing vibration in the bars, in my opinion.

Reactions: DCM
There are 2 types of vibrations, primary and secondary. Some are quelled by engine design, some by counter balancers, some by rubber mounting. But most tend to exhibit some kind of vibration. Lots of moving parts in an engine. I-4s tend to high rpm buzz, 270 twins and 90 degree V twins tend to low rpm throb, 360 twins tend to shake all the time, singles tend to simply vibrate.

I will also say that the GL1800 is the smoothest engine I have ever owned. The Kawasaki Z1300 was a close number two. However I will agree with dduelin's comments about the GL forks. They resulted in handlebar vibration (as You outlined) that at times were a nuisance over rougher roads. I have a similar fork issue with my X-Adv that I have not managed to alleviate.

There are 2 types of vibrations, primary and secondary. Some are quelled by engine design, some by counter balancers, some by rubber mounting. But most tend to exhibit some kind of vibration. Lots of moving parts in an engine. I-4s tend to high rpm buzz, 270 twins and 90 degree V twins tend to low rpm throb, 360 twins tend to shake all the time, singles tend to simply vibrate.
You nailed it. There are many moving and reciprocating parts in an internal combustion engine. That’s why, in contrast, electric motorcycles are so smooth.

Sometimes internal combustion engine motorcycle manufacturers intentionally design in vibration, for “character”. There may be customers that would complain if a motorcycle is too smooth.

If choosing the motorcycle engine was the answer to ergonomic comfort it would be so easy. Maybe like 670cc we would all choose electric motors. No vibrations there.

I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow to begin to find out why my right hand, specifically the forefinger and thumb, go numb after a short time of riding. It happens on any of the four two wheelers I ride and they have widely varying ergos and handlebar vibrations. I suspect I'll soon learn more about nerve damage or carpal tunnel syndrome.

I suspect they will find SOMETHING that requires hospital testing and surgery. It seems to be their motus operandi for making a living.

If choosing the motorcycle engine was the answer to ergonomic comfort it would be so easy. Maybe like 670cc we would all choose electric motors. No vibrations there.

I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow to begin to find out why my right hand, specifically the forefinger and thumb, go numb after a short time of riding. It happens on any of the four two wheelers I ride and they have widely varying ergos and handlebar vibrations. I suspect I'll soon learn more about nerve damage or carpal tunnel syndrome.

Similar issues here. I am putting it down to wear and tear with age and possibly a circulation issue.

You nailed it. There are many moving and reciprocating parts in an internal combustion engine. That’s why, in contrast, electric motorcycles are so smooth.

Sometimes internal combustion engine motorcycle manufacturers intentionally design in vibration, for “character”. There may be customers that would complain if a motorcycle is too smooth.
I agree! I had an 80’s Honda CB650 that still sets the benchmark for smooth. I have heard of manufacturers making an engine less smooth in search of character… sigh

Good luck, it’s very frustrating. I’m thinking about going to a DCT but have been managing at least for a while longer.

I agree! I had an 80’s Honda CB650 that still sets the benchmark for smooth. I have heard of manufacturers making an engine less smooth in search of character… sigh
The NC, with it’s 270* crank, is an example of a motorcycle that has intentional character built in. Maybe there was too much character on the 700, as Honda put a second balance shaft on the 750 engine. (Frankly I noticed no difference in vibration between the 700 and the 750).

From Kevin Ash’s article at the introduction of the NC700X, “Just one balance shaft is used in the NC700X engine, partly to endow it with some character by allowing for a degree of vibration, . .”

Don't do surgery , let them do testing etc to find reason for numbness , and than study and try holistic , yoga , accupuncture , pt , whatever to address issue. EVERY Surgery has unwanted consequences
I agree. I associate my hand issue with my left hip (like the song says) it’s all connected. After many years in the martial arts I must admit that until recently I haven’t been stretching like I should. I am working on that and both the hip and hand are very slowly getting better.

I agree. I associate my hand issue with my left hip (like the song says) it’s all connected. After many years in the martial arts I must admit that until recently I haven’t been stretching like I should. I am working on that and both the hip and hand are very slowly getting better.
I should have continued with Accupucture instead of doing the carpal tunnel surgery in late April , I've since hurt my rt shoulder trying to compensate for a weak rt wrist to go along with a FUBARED left hand and wrist :(( and yes I need to stretch and do more walking and PT now that ski season is over

There is very little risk with carpal tunnel surgery. I suffered with numbness for years. The surgery fixed it. I regret waiting so long. If you are diagnosed with it then no amount of yoga, PT, stretching or praying will cure it.

Back