• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Vstream windshields

calbigbird

Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone have any experience with the Vstream windshields from National Cycle. The ads look good for other bikes. I shot off an email to them to see if they are looking at the NC. Got this reply back this morning.

"We actually purchased one of the bikes about 2 weeks ago and are going to be making a V Stream windshield for it. It is hard to give you a date of when we will have them in stock but I would guess early (the first couple of months) 2013 would be an accurate estimate."

I've never seen one, so I am not sure of their track record.

FYI

My friend has a BMW K1200LT. He has a V Stream on it and he has complained about the distorted vision when he has to look through it.

Hopefully, this won't be a problem with the X.

Here is what I was told on July 17th:

The shields are in full production, We are looking at a release date of July 26.

--
Ride Safe.

Scott Durham
Customer Service
National Cycle
2200 S Maywood Dr.
Maywood, IL 60153
Phone:(877) 972-7336 X153
Direct Line: (708) 273-6553
Fax: (708) 343-0625
ASSP:LetMeIn

I have a buddy with one on a BMW R1200 RT.....he's one tall dude and really likes the windshield....

ROB Ray

I have a V stream on my wing and like it a lot. Its been on 3 diff bikes with about 100K miles and still going strong. I will be interested in one for my Nc700 also if anyone sees where they are available post on here.

As of about 10 minutes ago, the website does not have the vstream for the nc700 listed yet
Smurf, you are correct. The only way to currently order/purchase the NC V-Stream shield is by telephoning National Cycle.
Do a search on this forum for the V-Stream and you can see photos, order numbers and pricing of the screens for the NC.
And the ordering telephone number.

Hello all, [ Vstream - Madstad comparison ]
I had ordered a Madstad 18" and they botched the shipping (Mad at Madstad), so I ordered a Vstream Sport/Tour (18.5" per National website) so I would have it for an upcoming long ride. I previously had a Givi windshield, which broke a month ago when I dropped the bike. Here's my feedback based on back-to-back 2 hour rides. Note, I am 5'-8.
=== Vstream ===
Service, quality, installation - all excellent, no complaints.
Riding performance - no buffeting, gentle wind in forehead with visor up. Noisier with visor down.
No interference problems with mirrors (I have Rox adjustable risers.)
Subjective observations:
a) Although I could see over the top of the shield, it was higher than what I was used to with the Givi or the shield on my Sportster.
b) Either due to the various curves and/or the material, there was a fair amount of "rainbow" colors in the bottom half of the screen when wearing my polarized sunglasses.
c) The sport/tour only comes in light tint, which concerned me when I ordered it. This turned out to be a non-issue, as it was pretty light and I'm looking over it most of the time anyway.
d) THe Vstream looked nice with the bike and the brackets lined up very well on the windshield mounts.

=== Madstad ===
Quality and installation - all excellent, no real complaints. If they had shipped the day I ordered it (a Tuesday), I would have had it 3 days later ground. I agreed to pay a bit extra for for them to ship out Wed for Friday delivery. They botched that too, but at least the waived the shipping charges. I did end up with extra screws, but I really appreciated the pre-assembled nut plate sets with screws and washers.
Riding performance -
a) at the delivered adjustment, there was no buffeting, gentle wind in forehead with visor up. Noisier with visor down. However, the air did seem a bit quieter at the top of my helmet.
b) at full forward adjustment (top of shield farthest away from my face; shield in most vertical position), there was very noticeable buffeting.
c) at full back adjustment (top of shield closest to me; shield in most sloped position), I did get a little bit more of a breeze and it was a bit more closer to how the Vstream felt.
d) No interference problems with mirrors.
e) No noticeable problems while wearing polarized glasses.
f) Top of shield was lower than the Vstream. Vstream is 18.5" vs Madstad at 18.0, but that does not necessarily mean the tops are at the same level.
g) I did not try any of the other adjustments available, such as raising the windshield or moving it. But I really like that fact those options are available if I ever want to find a more optimal position. I could see raising it a tad for colder weather or longer trips.
h) I did have an initial concern about the lower bracket blocking some of my view or being distracting. That's a non-issue and I believe the bracket offers some options for mounting other items, like a camera.
i) I did notice that I if I turned my head sideways while riding at 50 mph, I didn't feel gusting sensations, which I did notice with my stock windshield. I did not try this test with the Vstream.
j) The Madstad has cleaner, simpler lines; and almost looks slightly undersized, but still seems to fit well with the lines of the bike.
Vstream18LightTint18.5.jpgMadstad18.jpg

This was totally a subjective trial and I didn't evaluate performance around the sides or bottom of the windshield. My main criteria was to avoid buffeting and be able to hear my music. I'm convinced that no matter what shield I'm using, there's going to be more wind noise with my face shield down. This conclusion came when I tried ducking my head down behind the shield. So for my use, the Madstad wins, mostly on the lower sightline, the slightly quieter wind effect at the top of my helmet and the adjustability. The Vstream will be returned.

Paul,
Very nice and fair review of the V-Stream and the Madstad screens.
Glad you found a screen that works for you.
Thanks for posting photos.

Bonnielover,
Is there any ability to mount the V-Stream in more than one position? Can you use both of the stock mounting holes on both sides of the NC's windshield bracket? This would give a range of about 2" which would offer a little adjustability.
Thanks

Bonnielover,
Is there any ability to mount the V-Stream in more than one position? Can you use both of the stock mounting holes on both sides of the NC's windshield bracket? This would give a range of about 2" which would offer a little adjustability.
Thanks
I'm not sure Pismo; I would check with Nat Cycle and see what they say. There are no nut plates, just big locknuts. I think with both windshields, the bottom hole and third from the bottom are used, and should be able to shift to the top and third from top holes. I did notice the Vstream brackets were sized and shaped to perfectly line up with the outline of the Honda shield mounting plate. If shifted up, the bracket will stick up above the top of the Honda shield mounting plate. Next time I have a chance I will take a picture of the bracket. National Cycle has a return policy - Returns must be free any scratches, installation marks, or signs of use.

Back