• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question Waxed cotton abrasion

We are here in the States at least free to choose our own type riding apparel, I have, when young and stupid, ridden in jeans, engineer boots and a T shirt and survived, BUT everyone needs to be aware of just how damaging even a very low speed drop can be when so attired. Severe skin abrasions are no light matter, they are at best extremely painful, long lasting and often life changing events. For a few decades now I am ATGATT with zero exceptions. Wanna find out something about your gear? Dress for how you ride, jog down a gravel road and trip yourself. If you can walk away without any scrapes, abrasions or dame to your clothing and hide you’re headed in the right direction. If your clothing is torn and damaged and you are scraped up a bit, think what it would have been like at 35 or 40 mph or better. I look at the “fingerless gloves”, vests, chaps and beanie helmet folks and just shake my head. Have to be a darn good rider to crash without your hands, arms, head or butt making contact with terra firma

I figure if you are at least age 21, it's your choice how much gear you choose to wear, as long as you are aware that your choices can have consequences

I heartily agree with personal choice and accountability.

What I dislike in this context is deception by marketers, as well as hiding information about whether the stuff they're selling as motorcycle gear actually works or works better than non-motorcycle gear in any demonstrable way. I think if you're selling 'motorcycle' gear, you have a duty to give people information so they can make decisions. Call it implied fitness for purpose combined with informed consent, or something very like that.

Deception and hiding are not terms that come to my mind when perusing the Aerostich website. Other than helmets I’m not aware of any requirement in the USA to label motorcycle apparel as appropriate for use.

Deception and hiding are not terms that come to my mind when perusing the Aerostich website. Other than helmets I’m not aware of any requirement in the USA to label motorcycle apparel as appropriate for use.
Aerostich is good stuff. Hundreds of testimonials over dozens of years. It’s not cheap, but quality never is. As for the labeling even for helmets, DOT doesn’t really mean much. Some really flimsy stuff is running around out there with DOT stickers on it. Not too long ago you could actually buy dot stickers to put on your “unapproved” lid. Look for Snell or the European standards for more meaningful stuff.

Aerostich is good stuff. Hundreds of testimonials over dozens of years. It’s not cheap, but quality never is. As for the labeling even for helmets, DOT doesn’t really mean much. Some really flimsy stuff is running around out there with DOT stickers on it. Not too long ago you could actually buy dot stickers to put on your “unapproved” lid. Look for Snell or the European standards for more meaningful stuff.

I dont think there is an approval rating for non helmet motorcycle gear, but most major manufacturers do a pretty good job of making decent motorcycle clothing knowing that the MC community is really pretty small and the word on any crappy MC gear will spread rather quickly. Companies like Aerostitch, Klim, Tourmaster, Cortech, First Gear, Joe Rocket etc all make decent stuff that will fit within most motorcyclists budgets.

There are counterfeit everything. From Gucci bags to spark plugs to ece stickers
Yup.

If a deal looks too good to pass up it is probably fraud.

Trusted sellers can be fooled too, but generally it is unsafe to buy safety gear from places like eBay, etsy, flea markets, etc. For safety gear I will stick with the established retailers (internet or brick & mortar).

I don't trust the discount stuff for my safety anymore. My life is worth more than saving a few cents or dollars.

In a small example, I bought what were supposed to be "Grade 5" shear bolts for my diesel tractor. The things snapped when they hit even minor resistance. Went to a legitimate store and bough a handful of "Grade 5" shear bolts and they don't break when I go through snow drifts or hit gravel but they snap if I get something hung up in an auger, just like they are supposed to do. Don't risk your safety to save a few bucks. Just not worth it.

Back