• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Wearing proper clothing

ATGATT, the difference is calling for a tow truck, or calling an Ambulance. Glad it wasn't any worse for ya!

The importance of proper clothing is clearly show for my accident on the haul road.

Yes the cycleport Kevlar suit cost over $1000 and the shark helmet (5 star rated) was over $400, but what would my hospital bill be without them?

Only a shoulder dislocated!

Not a scratch.

Ouch! A I bet that hurt! I wonder if one of those airbag jackets may have prevented the dislocation?
Motorcycle Airbag Jacket and Vest: Hit Air USA

Glad your still with us and not a statistic!

I do not wear all the gear all the time,,,if I,m going out for a ride,"i.e a THRASH" then sure I will get kitted up...but just riding down the shops or very local,,I will ride with one of my two old leather bike jackets,(no armour)maybe kelvar jeans.. I am not going to get togged up just to go out and buy a pint of milk..HiVis ,,I do,nt do either...irresponsible,,maybe!!! Also if you are not kitted out you should be aware of the fact ,,and ride accordingly!!!

Sometimes coming in late on the scene is a good thing.
I got to hear the story straight from the hors...I mean OCR's mouth when I met him in June. It's definitely a story I wish he would write up (the whole thing!). It's neat how complete strangers will come together and help each other in times of crisis.

I do not wear all the gear all the time,,,if I,m going out for a ride,"i.e a THRASH" then sure I will get kitted up...but just riding down the shops or very local,,I will ride with one of my two old leather bike jackets,(no armour)maybe kelvar jeans.. I am not going to get togged up just to go out and buy a pint of milk..HiVis ,,I do,nt do either...irresponsible,,maybe!!! Also if you are not kitted out you should be aware of the fact ,,and ride accordingly!!!

I will respectfully disagree. I did just that last November and I paid the price. I just took my KTM around the access road on my small housing estate, to dry it out after a wash. A small dog ran out and down I went at about 25mph due to wet cold brakes and tyres etc etc. I was about 50 yards from my own front door. I was wearing the helmet and jacket but just tracksuit bottoms and runners. My knee and ankle took a bad knock and were skinned. I was left in a sore and painful state for some weeks after. I am old enough to know better but not too old to learn.

Lipsee, you say this with what sounds like a sense of pride. I hope I don't sound critical; I don't mean to, but as a motorcycle safety instructor, I'm always interested in what motivates the safety choices that riders make. Do you mind sharing a bit more about what led you to these choices?

Thanks.

Read that 80% of accidents happen within 5 miles of home.... if riding short trips without ATGATT might want to consider moving.

I live in small town north of Little Rock. I'm not gonna sit here and lie. The only gear I wear if I make a run to the gas station six blocks or the grocery store that is eight is my helmet. Speed limit is 25 mph. If I wreck on the way to the gas station or grocery it was just meant to be. It's a chance I'm willing to take. Some would feel the need to suit up and I applaud them for that. Me, I'm not gonna do it. Just being honest.

I live in small town north of Little Rock. I'm not gonna sit here and lie. The only gear I wear if I make a run to the gas station six blocks or the grocery store that is eight is my helmet. Speed limit is 25 mph. If I wreck on the way to the gas station or grocery it was just meant to be. It's a chance I'm willing to take. Some would feel the need to suit up and I applaud them for that. Me, I'm not gonna do it. Just being honest.

Frankly I like the frankness.
It's your skin and so it is up to you.
Of course.
No hidden second meaning. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm pretty much an ATGATT guy, however, like you I live in a small town and the stores I go to are all within a 1/4 mile. Helmet and gloves is all I where for those "journeys."

Back