• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

What do you do for a living?

Just retired at 58 when I can still move around and have some fun and ride my bikes. Thirty years plus freshwater-saltwater flyfishing guide. My fathers advise(Farmer) in life for work was.If you are born without much like we were, hang around with people with money some of it may rub off. No regrets.

1976 chemical engineering degree from Auburn. Started off in the glass container industry designing and building glass furnace and IS machine cooling systems. Project managed a couple of new plant construction projects. Took an engineering job with a Fortune 50 pharmaceutical company doing process and facility automation projects. Developed injection molded medical device and in-vitro diagnostics products. Wider medical molding experience with product and process development using profile extrusion, and; extrusion, injection, and stretch blow molding processes. Then Engineering management and later a career move into Operations management. The Fortune 50 company closed our plant and booted me into unemployment after 25 years of service. Became a partner in a new venture startup for a Pharma contract manufacturer selling products to the company that booted me. Retired as VP and general manager two years ago.

Mrs. Beemer is a retired RN (Hospice).

Last edited:
Been a pastor for 39 years. Hope to retire someday so I can take longer NC rides and play more golf.

Wow, like I said in my prior post, "all types around here." Beemer, the job explains the well kept and supplied shop and the retirement explains the time to transform/re-make your NC. Neat idea this thread.

IT administrator for 15 years now, government sector. Servers and some user support, but for now the colleuges do the job very well, I only have to oversee their work and controll the process. Little bit enclosed feeling, all day in an office and dozens of problems. But without them I would be unemployed - so it is quite good! And my boss is a very good guy, coffee and fun all the time, worktime is mostly flexible.

No hope at all about retirement ( still has ~30 years till then /age 65/) , but I decided to live like that, as I was retired now :)
Skip a day if my head is full and take a ride. We don't live forever, no time to waste :D
View attachment 4680
Snapshot from Office space - one of the best movies ever :)

Love that movie. I heard you have a problem with your TPS reports. Is this due to the case of the Mondays?? :p

I've been an Air Force Flight Engineer about 8 years now, currently on Hueys (user id will have to get changed obviously when I retire!). C-130's before that. Aircraft maintenance before that. Electric rail car maintenance in Atlanta before that. Radar technician in the Navy before that. I have a problem!

Heavy Haul Truck Driver, hauling rock drills, other equipment, and explosives for a rock drilling/blasting company since 3/2003. It's been a great place to work,
I hope to stay and ride it out until retirement age.

10 years in the British Army, 24 years as a Police Officer and now a Freight Clerk for the Isle of Man Steam Packet company. The oldest continuously operating shipping company in the world.

I am a salesman.

Those 18 wheelers carrying everything we eat, drink, wear, live in, burn, or curse? I sell space in those trucks to companies that use trucking in their operations. It's been mostly fun for 30 years and I meet a lot of different kinds of people that work for companies that do an amazing number of different things to make money. Sometimes we ship squirrel skins and nuclear plant control panels in the same truck and I brought both accounts on board. Besides the people, I get to learn a little about a lot of different things.

I build de-centralized/portable waste-water treatment systems and ground-water remediation systems. After college I tried my hand at aircraft maintenance in the Canadian North, but after 9 months of dealing with sniveling pilots and a straining long distance relationship I packed up and moved back to where I'm from.

Just retired at 58 when I can still move around and have some fun and ride my bikes. Thirty years plus freshwater-saltwater flyfishing guide. My fathers advise(Farmer) in life for work was.If you are born without much like we were, hang around with people with money some of it may rub off. No regrets.

Who would want to retire from a job like that?

Up til recently, I used to work in a Swiss bank who is accustomed to hiding zillions of USD for rich and dirty US citizens.
The recent tirade and onslaught by Barack Obama made the Swiss banking sector shudder with fear and they started laying off good people, including intelligent but lazy guys like moir.
Thank you Obama.

All I do nowadays is surf net and play my new electric guitar, hose down my bike and pretend to be employed so that my mum does not ask any difficult questions.
:(

I sometimes make myself believe I am retired. I need to buy some Lottery tickets now. Then I can retire.

Any of you gentlemen play online poker? (I know, I know... all US guys can't legally admit that)

Well, when you come back home tired after your normal job and want to relax a bit playing online... you come to my playground.
I'm the guy who doesn't let all these thieving bastards to use your cards if/when they're stolen/cloned on your holidays. This and some other Risk Management in online gaming industry.

Industry completely unfamiliar with a "recession" term. :cool:

Back