• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

What extras would you buy from the dealer at the time of your NC700x purchase?

Dave Modisette

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have my reasons for considering buying a new NC700x. Some of the dealers have some 2014 models (still new) that have attractive prices on them. I'm thinking that I could use the difference in price to go ahead and add some saddle bags and a rear cargo box at the time of purchase. Or, I could simply buy all the extras one area at a time and install them myself but I'd rather be riding instead of reading installation instructions and wrenching on a bike.

The back rack is a little confusing as there are models that don't look like they accommodate saddle bags and I don't want to paint myself in a corner by not looking ahead to other options if I add gear one step at a time.

Suggestions?

I would (and did) stay away from the factory bags and instead bought aftermarket bags and I'm happy. Can use them on another bike if I decide to move on, something you can't do with the factory bags.

When I purchased my motorcycle I had the dealer install factory heated grips and a center stand. I also purchased an extended Honda warranty that covers my motorcycle for (total) five years and unlimited mileage :)

My thoughts were that electrical work (the heated grips) might be a pain in the rear to do myself, same with installing the center stand. By having the dealer do the installs the workmanship is covered under a limited warranty. Installing the panniers and mounts was a simple bolt on project.

IMG_5613-L.jpg

IMG_2516-L.jpg

I would recommend that you buy as many of the the Honda Accessories that you can. The rear case is great and has about 45 Liters of storage. You will need the Hond a Carrier Rack and the mounts, all sold separately. I heard that the Honda bags are not that great. One of the biggest complaints about them is that they are too small.

You might find some useful information within this thread that I started, Building a NC700X into a Commuter.

Good luck on your negations... :eek:

The saddlebag and rear carrier mounts are most often coordinated parts and need to be provided by the same company. That said, there is plenty of worthy competition for the Honda OEM parts and I would suggest you shop around. Also, at the going rates for shop labor, you can add quite a bit of gear for the trouble of taking on the installation yourself.

I'd say go slow and study up.

If you want electric work done I would have dealer do it. Bolt on stuff such as center stand and bags -- do it yourself.

None from the dealer! The dealer you buy the bike from is usually overpriced on the accessories, even though they may be offering you a "discount". Buy online from a parts source. For example the center stand lists for $150. A dealer might give you a deal at 10% off, making it $135. This item can be bought on line sometimes for $107 with free shipping.

The Honda tall screen is not good because the height makes the air turbulent and noisy. The 12 volt outlet is useless with it's 1 amp current limit. The heated grips can be bought aftermarket for a third the price. The Honda luggage, because of it's mounting system, locks you into one style and is not interchangeable with other aftermarket luggage products.

The only Honda accessory worth buying is the center stand.

Edit to add: I did note that the OP did not specifically mention looking for genuine Honda accessories. If instead you are considering aftermarket products sold by the dealer, that's fine but you would be wise to compare prices.

Last edited:
I negotiated my best deal and then got a center stand and the first service thrown in. Everything else is from Revzilla, Twisted Throttle, etc.....

I sure would like to know where you can buy a center stand for $107 with free shipping ! What sites are you looking at ?? Cheapest I have ever seen was $131 and free shipping.

You can get center stand from Honda for $150 + s/h, or from Amazon for $160,
or... from me for $85 + s/h. (OEM)

(tbo Web!ke has it for 74.34 USD)

You could buy Shad 36's from me for $350 + shipping
Here's what they look like-
http://nc700-forum.com/forum/sell-your-bike-car-truck/8952-2012-x-model-$3500.html

were I buying the bike again, I'd consider the center stand.

I didn't at the time, and now several years later I still haven't gotten around to getting a center stand...

but I think there are better aftermarket windscreens and luggage than what honda offers...

Never used heated grips... not sure why I would want them... think heating inside the glove insulation would be much more effective than outside... but maybe I'm totally missing the boat on this one.

Honda wiring harness might not be a bad call either... makes life simpler when you go to add electrical devices later on (if you want them switched with the ignition switch)

I personally like the Honda panniers. They are sleek, only 31" wide, and hold more than you think (especially with the frunk). I have set up one of my many duffles for extra carry. The narrow width is prized by CA commuters.
The centerstand is very useful. If you switch to an aftermarket exhaust you'll need to create/add a stop.
The light bar is welcome and does provide some tipover/skid protection.
A self made power outlet would be way cheaper and you can wire directly to the battery for higher power availability (like a battery tender/charger and other accessories if camping).
I want handguards, but have not made a decision yet. You can add aftermarket units easily.

Against the grain of many opinions in this forum, I like the Honda Tall windscreen and the OEM bags. I bought the OEM panniers and top-box. I also bought several items of safety gear and a helmet from my local dealer at the time of my original purchase. I am a small retail business owner and I buy from my local dealer when possible.
Just my humble opinion.
>T

I got my GIVI set up from the dealer. I told them what I would pay and they matched it. I also got the centerstand.

My bike came equipped with every Honda accessory they offer in the USA. I'm happy with all of them, as compared to a 'stripped' bike. The centerstand is worth the price. I also like the Honda saddlebags because of the outstanding integration and ultra-fast/ultra-simple attach-detach system with the ignition key. They're oddly-shaped, but hold more than most think. My dealer gave me outstanding pricing on everything, too.

When I bought mine I had them install the saddlebags and center stand. I've since added (aftermarket) heated grips, windscreen, top box, crash bars, horn, 12v outlet, phone cradle and USB charger. If I had it to do over again, knowing what I know now, I would have only had the dealer put on the center stand. There are waaayyyy better options for saddlebags that, as has been pointed out, are sturdier, roomier, and can be used on future bikes. I realize I could have put Givi outbacks on the bike for maybe $300 more than I paid for the OEM bags. I'm fairly mechanically inclined (thanks to owning a Land Rover Discovery for 11 years), and none of this was a time consuming process (oddly, locating and attaching the horn proved to be the hardest farkle). Windscreen, grips, and crash bars were particularly easy installs.

Heated Grips,
Stebel Horn.
Denali Lights
Barkbuster hand guards
Motech crash guards
Motech racks
Givi Trekker Bags side and top
Admore Brake light
Center Stand
12 V outlet
Fender extender
Rear mud guard
Wiring for GPS
Rox risers

probably something else I don't remember?

Center Stand is a must. I had the tall windscreen installed but it pushed the wind right into my helmet (I am 6ft.2in.) so it came off quickly.
heated grips

Back