• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

What kind of cameras

calbigbird

Reaction score
Visit site
There have been a some great videos posted of beautiful rides. I know some were done with a Go Pro. What kind of video cameras are we using. Been thinking about getting one.

Polaroid XS100 for me. Amazon.com: Polaroid XS100 Extreme Edition HD 1080p 16MP Waterproof Sports Action Video Camera With Full Mounting Kit Included: POLAROID: ElectronicsTubular design and at the ready operation. One switch (easy to get to with gloves) turns it on or off. A vibration confirms "I'm on". It takes a micro SD memory card. It came with helmet, handlebar, and several versatile mount angles. It takes burst photos with one button push and records both 1080 and a smaller file size for emailing or posting. I am happy with the wide angle view and the fact it is waterproof (to some depth) without a special case. It comes with an HD cable for direct playback but mastering the sequence of button presses takes some getting used to. The bugs are the thing loses time so I can't rely on the file date to match to actual video date. There is supposed to be a firmware update but I can't seem to find the right software on pc or Mac. ~ $150 plus $20 for the 32G memory chip. My last video is here.Tesla to Carnegie on a Honda NC700X DCT - YouTube I attached the camera on the left side handlebar weight, shooting just over the Barkbuster. Post processed using iMovie. Good luck!

Last edited:
Hero 3HD Silver edition. I added a 64GB SanDisk micro card (good for 9+ hours), and use a USB adapter with my 12v power socket to power the thing from the bike as long I need to, so the 9 hour card capacity can actually get used, as needed. I also cut a hole in the waterproof case where the USB cable plugs into the camera. Since the whole things sits behind my CalSci windshield, water intrusion hasn't yet been a problem. I keep my resolution at 1080 x medium width ( I don't remember the exact pixel width - it's just marked as "medium" on the camera when selecting). After a little contretemps last year, I promised my wife I'd video all my rides. I'll only need to save them though if something goes wrong on the road, so I just erase each day's ride when I'm done. That's why I need a full day's worth of video, for trips and longer day rides.

Polaroid XS100 for me. Amazon.com: Polaroid XS100 Extreme Edition HD 1080p 16MP Waterproof Sports Action Video Camera With Full Mounting Kit Included: POLAROID: ElectronicsTubular design and at the ready operation. One switch (easy to get to with gloves) turns it on or off. A vibration confirms "I'm on". It takes a micro SD memory card. It came with helmet, handlebar, and several versatile mount angles. It takes burst photos with one button push and records both 1080 and a smaller file size for emailing or posting. I am happy with the wide angle view and the fact it is waterproof (to some depth) without a special case. It comes with an HD cable for direct playback but mastering the sequence of button presses takes some getting used to. The bugs are the thing loses time so I can't rely on the file date to match to actual video date. There is supposed to be a firmware update but I can't seem to find the right software on pc or Mac. ~ $150 plus $20 for the 32G memory chip. My last video is here.Tesla to Carnegie on a Honda NC700X DCT - YouTube I attached the camera on the left side handlebar weight, shooting just over the Barkbuster. Post processed using iMovie. Good luck!

That Polaroid is a dead ringer for the Monoprice MHD that I just got. So much so that I'm guessing they're actually the same camera just with different branding. It looks like the Polaroid comes with additional mounting brackets than the Monoprice, but the Monoprice is $100 compared to the Polaroid's $160. The problem I have with my MHD, and which I see others (from the Amazon comments) have with the Polaroid, is that the image doesn't rotate when you mount it sideways (like to the side of your helmet). I can't seem to find a good mount spot on the bike for it - when mounted to the center of the handlebars it doesn't peek over the dash console well enough.

The current brand name has no connection whatsoever with the Polaroid company of old. The company went belly-up and the name was one of the assets that got sold. So while a modern product branded "Polaroid" may in fact be a fine product, one should never assume that it is based on familiarity with the reputation of the old Polaroid company. (Same goes for Yashica).

Polaroid, is that the image doesn't rotate when you mount it sideways (like to the side of your helmet). I can't seem to find a good mount spot on the bike for it - when mounted to the center of the handlebars it doesn't peek over the dash console well enough
The image does rotate, in fact it does so automatically so around sharp turns it can swing when you don't want it to. However, the shape gets tall and narrow, like turning your TV on its side (perhaps that's what you mean - doesn't rotate and hold 16:9). I tried mounting using the handlebar mount on a turn signal but it vibrated too much. The left handle bar weight works well, just peeking over the hand saver.

The current brand name has no connection whatsoever with the Polaroid company of old.
You are so right! Same with Westinghouse, Philips, and Magnavox TVs. We can't assume brand names of yester-year mean much. Good news is Honda still means reliable, low maintence, clean running, and quiet. I love my NC!

Go Pro is very good choice but way overpriced.
The single most important thing is: a good cushioned (rubberised) mounting system.

Last edited:
I have my iPhone in a lifeproof case and mounted the handlebar holder on my windscreen mount. It works pretty well and I have google maps too.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366994795.247072.jpg

Recently got a Contour Roam 2 which has great picture.

i-HWDn6VK-L.jpg

i-3gC3fBm-L.jpg

Back