• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

What mtorcycle did you use for your driving test?

I did my test in the mid 70's on a Yamaha XS2. I wish I had that bike back now.

There were no such thing as a motorcycle license for the first 10 years I road motorcycles. There was an under 5 brake horse power license you had to get before you had a auto drivers license. When I got home for Viet Nam in 1968, Texas came out with a motorcycle license. My wife was the first in line in the county when Texas came out with a motorcycle license. I took my wife's bike the day I got home and went and got my license. She had made a higher score than me, so I still have not heard the end of that!

Under 5 brake horsepower license:

SearAlstatePuch.jpg

Texas Motorcycle license:

Honda90.jpg

Last edited:
Both were ring-dings (two strokes).

Class L license: 1975 Yamaha DT125B
P1150503.jpg

Class M license: 1975 Kawasaki S3 400
3147390.jpg

Attachments

• kawasaki_s3_400.jpg
    kawasaki_s3_400.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
Arkansas only required a written test for my endorsement. I couldn't wait to ride though so I rode to the testing office and parked a loong way from the building. My mistake was riding by the door before parking. :eek:

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

Here in the Netherlands we needed to pass theory exams for road sign knowledge unless you had your car license. (Which i did) And with that you could start taking lessons riding motorcycle.

I started out on a Suzuki GS500E. You'd get an intercom system in the helmet and the instructor would guide you through traffic correcting you and showing you how it's done. I took about 20 lessons i think. Each of which included special skills for half of the time spend on the bike. Doing figure eight, emergeny braking, slalom, tight circle turns both ways etc.

My first was a 1971 Suzuki ST125.

This time around (32 years later) on a Suzuki 2008 Burgman 400. Other than the written test, I had to go out of the parking lot of the DMV and come back in and park - DONE

XR650L, I had it geared down for trail riding so it was very easy to keep it in between the lines. Cathy did it on her XT225, that would be a good small bike to take the test on.

I don't remember having to ride anything ( old ), just a written test maybe. Many years later a guy I worked with borrowed my Virago 920, he couldn't do the circles on his brand new full size Harley.

1969 Honda CB750 in about 1972 when the California DMV first required them.....Pulled up to the inspector....he had me do a slow figure eight...waived me over and said "if your riding that bike....I know you know how to ride".....He passed me then and there!

wow... I hoped never to see this thread again!
Most of the time, I behave myself just fine.... sometimes... not so much.

I used my sister's purple 1970 Yamaha 200 two stroke. That was 1972 and the Detroit test was the examiner following you around the block in a car you had to provide. I honestly don't recall if any specific maneuvers were required.

All this time and I've never seen this thread. Must have started right before I joined. This was so long ago I can't rememebr what I rode on my test. That was back in 1983. I want to say it was a Honda 650 Nighthawk because not to long after that I bought my first sport bike which was a VF500F Interceptor. Man I miss them good ole days.

In Calif. (since about 1978) the test has always been a written and then riding around a painted course in the parking lot. Two circles clockwise and two counter clockwise keeping the front wheel between narrow painted lines.
Pass that, and you don't have to take the $300 course.
If money is no object, take the course! You'll be a better rider.

In Calif. (since about 1978) the test has always been a written and then riding around a painted course in the parking lot. Two circles clockwise and two counter clockwise keeping the front wheel between narrow painted lines.
Pass that, and you don't have to take the $300 course.
If money is no object, take the course! You'll be a better rider.

Most bikes now of days could not be maneuver very well on that "Out-Dated" course that the CA DMV uses. Most people now of days want either a Cruiser or Sport Bike, neither of which could an expereinced rider pass on that course. That course was designed nearly 40 years ago, when motorcycles were actually motorcycles, not to offended anyone. Back then the "Norm" was such as a Honda CB350 or CB450, both of which could be easily maneuvered on that course. I was able to do it on my GPZ550 22 years ago.

Kawasaki%20GPz%20550%20%2082%20%202.jpg

I'd like to see someone do the DMV driving test course on a Victory Vision, HD Ultra-Glide, or Yamaha R1 these days. The problems these days bikes is their wheel base lengths have grown (Cruisers) or the amount steering head swing has strunken (Sport Bikes). Someone could probably do the course on a NC700X, however a Trail 90 would do a lot better on that course. Due to it's short wheel base and light weight, but you would end up with a "Class M2" (150cc or less) license if you did.

Both the CA DMV and motorcycle manufactures are forcing/promoting the Motorcycle Safety Driving Course due to the fact that most bikes these days could not pass this course. They both know it. That's why CA DMV offers the Driving Test "Waiver" with proof of "Passing" the course.

My first was a 1971 Suzuki ST125.

This time around (32 years later) on a Suzuki 2008 Burgman 400. Other than the written test, I had to go out of the parking lot of the DMV and come back in and park - DONE

My wife lives in Florida (work related) while I live in Indiana. Last year while visiting, I was curious if Florida would recognize my Indiana M endorsement in case I decided to switch to Florida (Florida now requires MSF classes for anyone wanting a M license) and if I would need to take Florida's msf classes. The DMV office told me the only state they didn't recognize the M classification was Lousiana (LA), and anyone from LA with a M endorsement would have to take their MSF class if they wanted a Florida M license. They stated, "LA only makes them ride around a parking lot and park"....

There were no such thing as a motorcycle license for the first 10 years I road motorcycles. There was an under 5 brake horse power license you had to get before you had a auto drivers license. When I got home for Viet Nam in 1968, Texas came out with a motorcycle license. My wife was the first in line in the county when Texas came out with a motorcycle license. I took my wife's bike the day I got home and went and got my license. She had made a higher score than me, so I still have not heard the end of that!

Under 5 brake horsepower license:

View attachment 19610

Texas Motorcycle license:

View attachment 19609

Love that little Honda. There are so few of them about nowadays, at least over here. There are lots of the 50's, even the very early ones but I hardly ever come across the 90's

Back