• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

What mtorcycle did you use for your driving test?

All this time and I've never seen this thread.

I can't remember seeing this thread either. Must have come up while I was on vacation. :confused:

Back in 1980 when I started riding a motorcycle, the state of Georgia didn't require anything other than a normal drivers license. I moved to Florida in 1983 and only needed to take a written test for their motorcycle endorsement. It wasn't until I moved to Washington state in 1989 that I had to take my first riding test.

It's really ironic that I probably had 100,000 miles of riding experience due to not owning a car for most of my adult life and Washington state tells me that my Florida license is no good and I have to prove my riding ability. :( But first there's a problem because I can't just get a motorcycle license without first getting a car license and I don't own a car to take that test in. :( Luckily a guy at my new job let me borrow his Mazda RX7 so I can take that test.

So finally I can prove that I am capable of riding a motorcycle! I was riding a 1983 Suzuki GS1100E at that time. They did have the U-turn in a box test that was a Large box (for over 500cc bikes) with a smaller box within for small bikes. Of course I had to thumb my nose at having to take the test by riding my 1100cc bike in the smaller U-turn box! :cool: I recently rode a Yamaha R1 and couldn't imagine making that U-turn with that bike because it just doesn't turn sharp enough.

I really wish they would have had MSF classes back when I started riding because it probably would have saved me from a crash when I first started riding and greatly increased my odds of staying alive as a fearless teenager. BTW, they subsidize the MSF classes here in WA and so if you pay your $125 and pass the class, then you get your license! We don't have graduations by bike size, only a separate license for 3 wheeled motorcycles.

In 2007 on a Suzuki GSXR750 2007. They made me drive over to a parking lot and do two figure eights in each direction, executed flawlessly.

Rode my then-new '93 Suzuki Intruder 1400 to the test site (as did 16 of the other 20 people tested) back in '93. Had ridden about 500 miles at that time. Did not have any problems - but goodness, the NC would have been a breeze in comparison! Lots of fork on that bike. As I recall six guys failed the test - so I guess I was lucky. Being older (maybe wiser?) now, I would recommend a MSF class first - just a smart move.

I took the written test to get my leaners permit at 15 in the state of Florida in 1986. I moved to Texas in 1988 and had to surrender my permit. They asked what it was and I said it was a motorcycle license and the state of Texas gave me a license to replace it. I've never taken a driving test on a motorcycle. At the time I owned an 86 CB700SC Nighthawk S.

A 1984 Honda Interceptor 700. Best bike I've ever owned and I've been kicking myself in he *** for 10 years for selling it.
Taking the test on that was hilarious due to the fairing limits. I had both feet off the pegs trying to man handle it through the cones.

Instructor was laughing and passed me for the entertainment I believe.

My first bike was a 1973 Yamaha DT250 Enduro. Perfect for the test. My next bike was a 1976 Kawasaki KZ900. I took the MSF course on the Kawasaki, in Spain.

post-9332-128128155872_thumb.jpg

1990 Honda VFR. Loved that bike. Failed the first time I took the test when I dropped the bike between tests and broke off the footpeg. Talk about embarrassing.

Honda CM185T. 1979. You get a lot of weird looks from the inspector when you reach back and kick start the little monster with your hand:cool:

Some kind of 125cc dirt bike with a street tire on the back and non-dot knobby on the front, haha. In Oregon we have a thing called Team Oregon, its a riding school, I did the intermediate 1 day class and at the end you get a certificate for your license. They had their own bikes for us to use. The dirt bike was a pain! That knobby front tire was way too easy to lock up under braking.

I can't remember seeing this thread either. Must have come up while I was on vacation. :confused:

Back in 1980 when I started riding a motorcycle, the state of Georgia didn't require anything other than a normal drivers license. I moved to Florida in 1983 and only needed to take a written test for their motorcycle endorsement. It wasn't until I moved to Washington state in 1989 that I had to take my first riding test.

It's really ironic that I probably had 100,000 miles of riding experience due to not owning a car for most of my adult life and Washington state tells me that my Florida license is no good and I have to prove my riding ability. :( But first there's a problem because I can't just get a motorcycle license without first getting a car license and I don't own a car to take that test in. :( Luckily a guy at my new job let me borrow his Mazda RX7 so I can take that test.

So finally I can prove that I am capable of riding a motorcycle! I was riding a 1983 Suzuki GS1100E at that time. They did have the U-turn in a box test that was a Large box (for over 500cc bikes) with a smaller box within for small bikes. Of course I had to thumb my nose at having to take the test by riding my 1100cc bike in the smaller U-turn box! :cool: I recently rode a Yamaha R1 and couldn't imagine making that U-turn with that bike because it just doesn't turn sharp enough.

I really wish they would have had MSF classes back when I started riding because it probably would have saved me from a crash when I first started riding and greatly increased my odds of staying alive as a fearless teenager. BTW, they subsidize the MSF classes here in WA and so if you pay your $125 and pass the class, then you get your license! We don't have graduations by bike size, only a separate license for 3 wheeled motorcycles.

I think the states that have the 'box' in the course or test is different. Here in Indiana, riders have to do a figure 8 in the box, 2 U turns in the box, without crossing the lines or putting a foot down.

I think the states that have the 'box' in the course or test is different. Here in Indiana, riders have to do a figure 8 in the box, 2 U turns in the box, without crossing the lines or putting a foot down.

I suspect the test has evolved over the years...

I also had to do a figure 8 in the box, points off for riding outside of the box, instant fail if you put your foot down.

There was one person in my MSF class who could not get a handle on the box... she never made it with out going over the lines... she was the only one who didn't get points taken off because of the box when we did the test.

otherwise there was a swerve test, and a emergency braking test... I was 3 feet over on the emergency braking test, and I went outside of the box once, I'm not even sure how some one lost points on the swerving test (best guess is by not swerving).

at the time I was impressed with how quickly the msf course got every one up to a point where they could pass the test... looking back after 5k miles of riding I'm amazed at just how little they actually covered in the class and that I was legally allowed on the road with such a minimal understanding of how to ride... Don't know if I could do the box today on the NC, I suspect I could even though I don't normally do slow tight turns in my every day riding (I tried once in my garage, but the sand on the garage floor that the cars track in in winter makes that a really really bad plan) the rest of the test wasn't much of a challenge then, I doubt it would be one now.

I suspect the test has evolved over the years...

I also had to do a figure 8 in the box, points off for riding outside of the box, instant fail if you put your foot down.

There was one person in my MSF class who could not get a handle on the box... she never made it with out going over the lines... she was the only one who didn't get points taken off because of the box when we did the test.

otherwise there was a swerve test, and a emergency braking test... I was 3 feet over on the emergency braking test, and I went outside of the box once, I'm not even sure how some one lost points on the swerving test (best guess is by not swerving).

at the time I was impressed with how quickly the msf course got every one up to a point where they could pass the test... looking back after 5k miles of riding I'm amazed at just how little they actually covered in the class and that I was legally allowed on the road with such a minimal understanding of how to ride... Don't know if I could do the box today on the NC, I suspect I could even though I don't normally do slow tight turns in my every day riding (I tried once in my garage, but the sand on the garage floor that the cars track in in winter makes that a really really bad plan) the rest of the test wasn't much of a challenge then, I doubt it would be one now.

My instructor said we were now qualified to ride in parking lot and to go find one and practice! :D

And that's what I did too. I didn't buy cones, but got some tennis balls and cut them in half and outlined the course with those.

FYI, I did my test on my Sabre 1100 :)

2005 Yamaha TW 200. Best bike for learners out there in my opinion. Lightweight, low and has a fat back tire. I breezed through the test on that bike.

I took the test on a 1966 Suzuki X6 Hustler on a freezing cold day (mid 20's) in Dec. 67. Missouri had passed the Motorcycle license law, and it was to go into effect Jan.1 1968, I had heard a rumor that if you didn't take the test before then, you couldn't even ride it to the testing station (probably not true, but I was just a dumb 19 Y.O. then), and that was the last time I ever rode that bike, in fact I didn't get on a motorcycle again for over a year. Shortly after taking the test I received my draft notice and had to report on Jan.19, 1968, and being winter I didn't have a chance to ride it again before then. And then I broke my leg during basic training, by the time it healed and they sent me back to basic and then to Artillery school, it was winter again. Also when I realized I wouldn't be able to ride it any that year (1968) I sold to my best friend, who was wanting to buy it off me anyway. I didn't sell it to him when I was first drafted hoping I would get stationed somewhere I would be able to ride it to, and then when I finished Artillery school in Nov. I got orders for Ft. Riley, Kansas, 150 miles from home, I wished I'd kept it.

I've taken the BRC three times. (Military so I have to take a rider course every three years, long story as to why I've had to take the BRC each time instead of the ERC.) Anyhow, took it the first time on a 1200 Sportster, second time on an 883 Sportster and the last time on my NC. I was really shocked that I actually found the low speed stuff to be much more difficult on the NC. Given how low it carries its weight and how easy it is to handle I thought the "box" would be a cinch. Not so! Least not for me. I really think what it boils down to is throttle response. There's just that little dead spot from off throttle to on throttle and in the "box" that creates a real problem. With both of my Sportys I just put the throttle where it needed to be and drag-braked the hell out of it and got through any low speed maneuver with no problems. Regardless I passed every time and was one of the top if not the top student in the course. Like I said I was just really surprised that I found it easier on the Sportys cause let's face it, handling isn't really those bikes strong point.

2005 Yamaha TW 200. Best bike for learners out there in my opinion. Lightweight, low and has a fat back tire. I breezed through the test on that bike.
These, TU250, and XT225 which was what I used, were the popular choices here.

Back