• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

What mtorcycle did you use for your driving test?

Some kind of 125cc dirt bike with a street tire on the back and non-dot knobby on the front, haha. In Oregon we have a thing called Team Oregon, its a riding school, I did the intermediate 1 day class and at the end you get a certificate for your license. They had their own bikes for us to use. The dirt bike was a pain! That knobby front tire was way too easy to lock up under braking.

Oregon hires out the testing to Team Oregon, which is a cooperative effort between Oregon DOT and Oregon State University. Once you pass their tests (written and on the bike) you get a certificate to take to the DMV showing that you passed the tests and are eligible for your endorsement.
They had a fleet of TW 200s when I took the class/test at the end of last year, along with a couple of scooters for those that just wanted the low-powered scooter endorsement and a couple other bikes of different geometry setups for either the very short or very tall.

TW 200 and XT225. Illinois does theirs through Southern Illinois University, cost $20 refundable, most donate it to the program.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

1972 Kawasaki Mach IV 750cc Triple 2 Stroke. Painted black with red and orange flames on the tank. Borrowed it from my buddy. Got some blank stares from the person giving the test. Lots of clutch and throttle management going on. The scariest part of the test was when they said "Accelerate as fast as you can and when you get to the cone stop as quickly as you can!". I blacked out and don't remember what happened from that point on, just remember getting a piece of paper that said "Passed". Went home and freshened up a bit.......

Like this one with a different paint job
kawasaki h2.jpg

I can only imagine, but I think it went something like this
[video=youtube_share;YRRrtyLBREg]https://youtu.be/YRRrtyLBREg[/video]

Last edited:
Back in '67 I turned 15 1/2 and got my Kalifornia drivers license learners permit after just passing a written test, which allowed me to ride alone on a m/c. Immediately bought a new Hodaka (with the chrome gas tank) and hit the road!

IMG_0134.jpg

After years of Bultaco and Yamaha DT1 dashing thru the SoCal deserts (before the eco-nazis got them closed), I started bending wrenches in a m/c shop.

Much later, after moving to Oregon and finishing raising my daughter, I bought a NOS 2012 NC700X after a riding hiatus of a few decades. I showed up at DMV the following Tuesday in the morning and used the NC' for the test. Was a bit nervous, but was a pass. Haven't stopped riding since and I'm on my third NC' now.

Ray

Last edited:
1972 Kawasaki Mach IV 750cc Triple 2 Stroke.

The scariest part of the test was when they said "Accelerate as fast as you can and when you get to the cone stop as quickly as you can!". I blacked out and don't remember what happened from that point on, just remember getting a piece of paper that said "Passed". Went home and freshened up a bit.......
As I recall, wasn't that triple tied with the Kawa Z1 as the fastest production m/c's of that era? I remember both had incredible acceleration, producing skid marks in more places than I'd like to admit to.

Ray

I had a motorcycle license in 1979 when I lived in Oklahoma, but didn't ride when I moved to Missouri. So I didn't have an MC endorsement when I bought the NC.
I took the test and rode on a permit until I got tired of renewing the permit. The NC700X was what I took the test with and passed it with flying colors. Even though I had a TW200 sitting in the garage. I did read up and practiced riding in the friction zone though.
The Friction Zone - Ride Like A Pro, Inc.

Got my first bike in 1981 when I was 11. Sold my last bike in 2008. Didn't ride again until 2016 when I got my NC. Decided to do it right this time and actually get a motorcycle license. for the first time. So, I took the MSF on their Suzuki TU250. Glad I did...learned a lot.

Got my "L" license (under 150cc) at age of 16 on my 1975 Yamaha DT125B. Two years later, got my "M" license on my 1975 Kawasaki S3-400 triple. Both were buh-ring da ding ding dings (two stroke). I have never been without a motorcycle since age 16, and I'm a "lot" older than that now.

We didn't have a motorcycle license in Florida in 1970. At 15 you received a driver license that was restricted to motorcycles of 5 hp or less. At 16 there were no more restrictions.

No problem for me in 1970 my parents gave me a Honda Z50 MiniTrail that had a reputed 1.7 hp. I've had mostly Hondas since then and in 1995 I took the test for the MC endorsement on a 1975 Honda CB200.

Only had the PCX150 scooter available to me when I took the test and was a little surprised that there's no differentiator between a 150cc scooter and a motorbike! Thought I might have to re-test when I moved to a bigger bike!!

If I remember correctly, when I was learning to drive in the UK as a teenager, if you passed the test in an automatic you actually got a different coloured license and took a different driving test than if you were driving a manual; and you weren't allowed to drive a manual with an automatic license! Hill starts etc. were not in the automatic test from what I was told. Now that being said, 90%+ of cars at that time were manual and only luxury cars even had automatic as an option!! Even funnier is that when I moved to the US I only had to take the written test (no computer testing at that time!). So even though I was driving on the opposite side of the road, I just had to prove I knew the rules of the road!! Driving in NJ I can't tell you how many times during that first year I hit the door with my left hand trying to grab the gear stick when someone cut me off suddenly!! Pretty sure my wife's little Ford Festiva had a permanent indentation in that spot!!

took the MSF course so i didnt have to do any anything at the DMV except show them the certificate that i passed. MSF class had us on OLD, not even sure what yr, honda 250 nighthawks.

Did the initial test on the safety school’s Rebel 250 (graduated 3 step licensing here; learner, temporary with some restrictions, to full licence) about a dozen years ago. The final test was on my Vespa 250; the tester asked if I was comfortable on highways (it’s optional) and went I said yes they took me on a 50 mph parkway. Funny thing was, when I moved to Ontario twenty something years ago, the DMV asked if I wanted a motorcycle endorsement when I transferred my drivers license (didn’t have one on my previous permit), so I could have gotten it without testing at all!

Took mine on my brand new 2000 CBR 600F4. I had been riding dirt bikes my whole life but never ridden a sport bike before and only a handful of low powered road bikes. I just road in the neighborhood for a couple of weeks out of the main traffic and in the school parking lot practicing low speed turns a figure eights between 2 parking spaces. I then scheduled my test got down there a hour early and I practiced the course without the cones that was painted on the pavement . After I got used to the handling of the bike and felt completly comfortable with all aspects of the motorcycle it wasn't a problem passing the test for me after that although I might add I did stall because I got nervous being watched by the instructor when I had to accelerate to a certain speed then brake and stop my front wheel between the cones. Here is a picture of my baby.honda-cbr-600-fy-03.jpg

Last edited:
Rebel 250 in the MSF school. State then gives you a written test to get your motorcycle endorsement.

During the final test one person on a Respol graphics bike popped a wheelie by accident coming out of the figure 8, but put the bike back down and kept his composure. Because he didn't drop it or put feet down, the coaches deducted a couple points but he passed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since I took a long break from motorcycling while my kids were growing up I had to renew my motorcycle endorsement. I took the test at the local DMV on my Zero and it was really interesting. The instructor, who was training another instructor at the time, asked me if I had any riding experience and I said yes I had quite a bit. From that point on he paid more attention to the instructor-in-training than he did to me. I noticed he wasn't watching when he asked me to identify the different parts of the motorcycle. When he asked me to point out the starter I pointed to the ignition since the Zero doesn't have a starter. He didn't even notice. Then he asked me where the clutch was and I told him I didn't have one. THAT got his attention! "What, is that electric? I've never seen one of those before" he exclaimed. From that point on he was way more interested in the bike than the test. I then did the cones, the clockwise circle on the lollipop and one counter clockwise circle and it was over. He waved off the rest of the test saying he had seen enough. Then he proceeded to ask me more questions about the Zero (which, by the way, was incredibly easy to take the test on with its low speed throttle modulation). So, I got my motorcycle endorsement in less than 60 seconds.

MSF waiver on a Suzuki TU250X a long time ago. Did MSF again to refresh on a Suzuki TW200. Love that bike. If I lived near dirt I'd be on that and not the NC. :)

Took Georgia driving test on a Paige MP3. I had received 10 minutes instructions from dealer. Practiced for a week for 100 miles on my residential street then went to DMV. Test was a joke so I passed. No way they should have given me a license. Couple months and 3,000 miles later was able to get into an MSF class. Luckily I didn't kill myself first. Took it on supplied Honda Nighthawk. Later took experienced rider course on an MP3. Recently took two MSF dirt bike classes on supplied Honda CRF 230.

Back