• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

What revs do you cruise around on

donx

Reaction score
Visit site
So I use my nc for town commute. Being a lower rev bike I'm wondering at what rev range do you like to cruise around on.

I like to stay on around 2800rpm 60km (Aus), which is I think 4th gear? The bike seems to purr along at this range and I think it might help with fuel consumption etc. Of course i'll change for take off, hills and slowing etc.

Now most other bikes are meant for higher revs I'm interested in peoples preferences and reasons on how they like to ride. Do you prefer to cruise at higher range in lower gears etc?

The 750 DCT just hits 6th gear at 60 kph (in economy mode), so it's maybe 1,500 rpm. Post date- in fact it's around 2,200 in the city and about 2,800 on the highway. I'll normally stay in that mode, it keeps me more relaxed. Unless fuel economy is your main concern I would keep what keeps you happy.

Last edited:
For my 700S I'm shifting mostly at every 20km ish. Approximately 20 40 60 80 and 105. The engine feels like i'm lugging it if I shift into 6th before 105. Cruising speed usually 10km over speed limit/keeping up with traffic.

For my 700S I'm shifting mostly at every 20km ish. Approximately 20 40 60 80 and 105. The engine feels like i'm lugging it if I shift into 6th before 105. Cruising speed usually 10km over speed limit/keeping up with traffic.

nice. so how many revs? I probably sit just above the lugging feel

70-75 MPH @ 3,800-4,000 RPM's
Edit: I forgot to mention it's a 2012 NC700X with over 45,000 miles and still running like the day I bought (I'm the second owner original owner put 5,000 miles exactly on it. I bought it in March of 2015

Last edited:
I'm usually somewhere between 2000-3000 with the stint up in the 4000-6000 range. Mine is strictly used for commuting.

I cruise about around 2800 to 3200.
Mainly in the top gear since below 2800 seems to lug it.
But if I am riding below top gear the bike runs fine from 2000 to 28000.
2013 NC700X.

God bless!!

Michael

I have it stuck in my head to shift at 3000 RPMs and to use that as the target for cruising in the right gear. Seems someone on another thread here said that was best for gas mileage, but I could have imagined it. Regardless, that's what I do and I DO get good enough gas mileage to hide my tendency to goose it quite a bit on takeoffs.

It depends on level ground or grade. The power range I've found is between 2800 and 3200 so I just select the gear that keeps me in that range, sometimes getting as low as 2500 rpm. On my 700 running in 6th gear has to be around 3K or it lugs. Best is to shift and listen to engine. If it is purring then you're in the right gear for that speed. The book tells you at what speeds to shift but that must have been written for flat ground.

I use revs to determine my rate of acceleration and desired speed ; }

Short-shifting for around town or leisurely accel, higher shift points for accel or grades. I've only hit the rev limiter once learning what everything felt like when I first bought my NC. Since (as I recall anyway) the manual NC is just below 4 grand in 6th at 75mph, I really don't need to think about it much, even when passing semis on two-lane highways at a final speed of 90 or so.

The lower the gear, the more you can dog it when just putting around town. Plenty of torque on tap.

I use revs to determine my rate of acceleration and desired speed ; }

Short-shifting for around town or leisurely accel, higher shift points for accel or grades. I've only hit the rev limiter once learning what everything felt like when I first bought my NC. Since (as I recall anyway) the manual NC is just below 4 grand in 6th at 75mph, I really don't need to think about it much, even when passing semis on two-lane highways at a final speed of 90 or so.

The lower the gear, the more you can dog it when just putting around town. Plenty of torque on tap.

I don't know that I've ever hit the rev limiter. It just feels like the engine wants a higher gear around 4000. I don't ride on the highway much at all, so I can lug around all I want. I don't feel like I am, though. Cruising flat ground, 2500-3000 feels right--not spinning too hard, but good response on tap if you need it.

I try to keep mine ~3000 rpm, so 3rd at 25 mph, 4th at 35, 5th at 45, 6th for 55 and up. Sometimes I'll let it drop below 3000, but it's pretty hilly where I am, and I like keeping power on tap.

I try to keep mine ~3000 rpm, so 3rd at 25 mph, 4th at 35, 5th at 45, 6th for 55 and up. Sometimes I'll let it drop below 3000, but it's pretty hilly where I am, and I like keeping power on tap.

I have found that according to the on board mpg gauge I get better mileage going up a hill near my house in 5th at 3000 that 6th.

Exactly the same here 70-75mph @ 3800-4000rpm and i also got a 2013 with just 4000 miles on it

Yup, same with mine. I run about 75mph-80mph and it sits around 4000 or so RPM...

It has 35,000 miles, is a 2012, and runs just fine. Averages a little less MPG though, around 55-57.

Usually try to stay in the vicinity of 3000. I like seeing big numbers in mileage... HOWEVER... If I FEEL like riding harder and running the RPM's up I will. After all.. it's about enjoying the ride first and foremost.
A nice day for riding... some nice windy roads... feeling like having fun.... DO IT! (not to excess)
(I do normally enjoy the 3000 rpm vicinity though).

I've found it tough to go 75 mph at 3000 rpm. Maybe I need to find a steeper, longer hill.

Back