• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

What Tank Bag for the 2016?

With the Mail Pouch Fly-By (FB page)weekend fast approaching I decided I wanted a small tank bag with a map pocket up top, but didn't want to buy one of the more expensive or larger models (> $75). Came across a pretty good price (<$45) on Amazon for the Rapid Transit mentioned in other posts, the suction cup model. Some initial testing this weekend and I think I may look more closely at Ray's mod of cutting some slits in the bag and feeding a couple of straps through the 2016's rails. It seems pretty secure as is, but the added straps will add piece of mind and also allow me to position the bag a little further forward if necessary. I can't open the frunk lid too far while sitting on the bike with the bag situated here, however I wouldn't be opening it while riding so that's not really an issue for me.

I like the bag itself, has a nice waterproof cover, good sized map section, good organization inside, and a nice phone mount in the front with cord entrance/exit point. The interior is a nice material, although it is black. I wish it were gray or even yellow like some of the camera bags - makes finding stuff easier!! The size is perfect for my needs - camera and other small stuff. It has a shoulder carry strap should you want to use it too!

In the position below in the pictures, the top & bottom suction cups are holding the bag on tightly to the grey body plastic, while the two side cups & flaps are folded back under the bag. They do not work on the 16/17's black plastic areas due to ridges, creases, seams and size. I have a couple of smaller suction cups that I may see if they will fit better and will adhere to the rails. I may also opt to cut the flaps off entirely, we'll see!

2017-08-19-13.33.06-web.jpg

2017-08-19-13.33.16-web.jpg

Birthday gift this year resulted in a new tank bag with the old one going to a 650v rider friend about to head out on long trip!

Base pad left installed, can tuck gloves under when stopped for fueling etc.
20180825_110427-web.jpg

Lines up with the 'rails' on the 2016 frunk lid nicely!
20180825_110437-web.jpg

Release the two clips and fasten the resulting four ends to the 'mates' on the bag - <30 seconds!!
20180825_110548-web.jpg

Doesn't interfere with existing phone mount, map case is easily visible for notes/map, written directions etc.
20180825_110601-web.jpg

2 external pockets, 1 on each side for small stuff (EZ-Pass? etc.)
20180825_110712-web.jpg

It is expandable and has a nice carry handle as well as an included shoulder strap and a waterproof cover!!

Very happy with this!!

I ordered the Givi EA116 Tank Bag from Twisted Throttle. It took a long time for them to get one shipped to me- over a month. But it's almost exactly what I was looking for. Installation was easy and the straps were the right length out of the box.
But in order to get the straps attached to each other, as in Fez's photo, they need to be lengthened. Which adds to the time it takes when I want to attach the bag back to the straps. Oh well...

A few improvements it needs-
The clear window/ map pocket is too low on the top and forced me to look down lower than I had to with previous tank bags. There is plenty of space above the window...

It doesn't lock to the bike. While removing the bag leaves just the tank pad which, if the straps are knotted up and tied to prevent flapping in the wind, can be a little difficult to remove, it isn't theft proof.

It blocks the flow of air. In our warm weather the other day I noticed, while going at lower speeds, it blocked air flow around my belly. This could be a plus for those who live in areas where there is not eternal summer, like here.

Almost $100 with tax... probably worth it as a way to add more storage for traveling, but for every day use it takes something theft proof that I can leave on my bike.

Attachments

• tank bag3.jpg
    tank bag3.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 252
  • tank bag2.jpg
    tank bag2.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 252
While this thread is more than two years old, it's still guite valid. I have the same Givi that Fez shows in his photos. It is quite perfect. If you take the bag off you can also click the base straps together on the same sides, front to rear instead of across X wise. Then you do not have to adjust the straps. Removing the base itself only take a few seconds, so should be of no concern.

With the frunk, tank bag and a tail bag I only put on my saddle bags when taking a trip of more than five days.

Big "D", that is so true. Many times that is all i use is the tank bag. I have a Nelson-Rigg about the same size, i'll look for a pic. :{)

I'm using an Eclipse(the smallest in my inventory) mainly for the map pocket and a little storage. Basically tied it to frunk lid and have had no problems as yet. Room for improvement, yes, but it serves the purpose for now.

IMG_20190315_134652.jpg

I figured out how to strap on this Cortech tankbag that I used on previous bike. Frunk is still accessible.

Back