• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

What's stopping you from getting an AT

seat height....

I have not tried it with the low seat option , is head with the low seat option it can be as low as the NC.

Seat height can be close to the nc. But the peg position us totally differnt.

2014 nc700x -Rox risers-22in madstad-barkbuster storms.

I like the AT a lot. It is more comfortable to me than my NC. But for that much money I want cruise control and generally a more open road friendly bike. I also have a drz 400 for adventuring around. The additional weight on the AT is unattractive. Fifty pounds is a lot.

If Honda could shave fifty pounds off the NC in some sort of premium package and add cruise control that would be awesome. I would pay 12k for a bike like that. The Yamaha FJ09 shows you can do some of that.

I have not ridden the AT, but I did get to test ride the 1200. It was very comfortable and powerful, but even heavier, no cruise control, and not very good gas mileage.

Yes the 50 lbs is definitely there. You don't feel it while your moving but it does show in the parking lot. The vfr1200x felt great but premium gas. The weight, and the lack of features turned me away. Not only that but it looks exactly like the nc.

2014 nc700x -Rox risers-22in madstad-barkbuster storms.

I recently posted on here that I did not know if I would purchase another Africa Twin. Obviously that would apply when the one that I currently own had outlived its usefulness. 12,000 kms into ownership I still do not know.

There is one bike that I judge all other Adventure bikes against, and that is my former 2005 KTM 950 Adventure. That was an excellent motorcycle and in 2005 it was well ahead of its time. I remember the first time I saw one it was love at first sight. I had to have one and indeed I did. The AT was not love at first sight. When I realized that I couldn't get my NC suspension to perform as I would like it to do, I then considered an AT. In short it was an afterthought. I tried it and I liked it. I still like it, very much.

If asked how it compares against the KTM as indeed I recently was in a survey conducted by KTM's marketing team, I opined that the AT was marginally better than the KTM. Consider here that we are talking about a 2016 motorcycle as opposed to a 2005 one. That then tells one how good the 2005 KTM really was. The only advantage the AT has over that old KTM is more refinement in the engine department and of course for those who like it, DCT. That is all imho !

The 2016 AT has a number of shortfalls. The bodywork is a nightmare to remove. To do so I had to find out how from the web. Lots of plastic clips and interlocking tabs that are an absolute bugger to get apart. Imagine trying to do so on the trail to open up the airboxes, and let out water in a drowning situation at a river crossing. The KTM bodywork by comparison is released by a small set of allen head screws. The KTM bodywork is also much more robust with thick pliable plastics.

Toolkit. Practically non existent on the AT. A very substantial kit was supplied on the KTM. Sufficient to do most basic mechanical chores on the trial.

Suspension. The AT has good forks. Probably a little better than the KTM. However the AT shock is very poor. Mine now needs rebuilding at 12,000kms. The KTM item was still good at 35,000kms.

There is a spoke corrosion issue on the AT that is not being dealt with efficiently on a worldwide basis. It seems that later 990KTM's had a similar issue. Not a big issue really.

GPS mounts. Folks rightly use the crossbar of the AT screen mount to mount a GPS. It is the obvious place to do so. Sadly in significant numbers especially in offroad usage, the screen mounts on the AT are breaking, and especially if the GPS and its mounts are heavy. No such problems occurred on the KTM. They provided an accessory mount and there were no issues.

These are the issues that are bugging me, and again remember we have moved on 13 years since KTM introduced their groundbreaking machine. Having owned one I adjudge the AT to be only marginally better by virtue of its engine refinement only. Why did I part with my KTM Adventure ? To get a 690 because the trails I was riding were just getting too difficult for such a heavy bike, and I wasn't getting any younger. The AT does not now get the same rough treatment that the 950 Adventure did. Would I own another 950 Adventure, probably. Would I own a modern 1190/1290, absolutely not. Would I own another AT, I still don't know.

Only tonight I spoke with a good friend. He owns a pristine 2012 KTM 990 Adventure R. He is considering an AT because he likes the idea of DCT. Tonight I advised him, "not yet. Keep that lovely KTM for now. Honda still have a lot of work to do ! "

Last edited by a moderator:
The only advantage the AT has over that old KTM is more refinement in the engine department and of course for those who like it, DCT. That is all imho !

maybe seat height/comfort for some as well, and possibly reliability and servicing...

The 2016 AT has a number of shortfalls. The bodywork is a nightmare to remove. To do so I had to find out how from the web. Lots of plastic clips and interlocking tabs that are an absolute bugger to get apart. Imagine trying to do so on the trail to open up the airboxes, and let out water in a drowning situation at a river crossing. The KTM bodywork by comparison is released by a small set of allen head screws. The KTM bodywork is also much more robust with thick pliable plastics.

Yep, Honda could have followed the more dirt-bike oriented approach to body stuff. Some who want street bike sheen probably would have griped though ; }

Only tonight I spoke with a good friend. He owns a pristine 2012 KTM 990 Adventure R. He is considering an AT because he likes the idea of DCT. Tonight I advised him, "not yet. Keep that lovely KTM for now. Honda still have a lot of work to do ! "
Most of the manufacturers seem like they are a bit stuck on their ADV approach.

Back