• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

When you run low and/or hit reserve fuel level, what happens?

Strongly agree with above post that states that the gas gauge is poor at best. The 5-6 line provided are too obtuse a measure and the blinking last line is annoying. The instrument cluster in general seems like they only thought about ease of design and cost cutting. I see no reason or excuse for us not having mpg readout in addition to miles to empty and a gear indicator.

Strongly agree with above post that states that the gas gauge is poor at best. The 5-6 line provided are too obtuse a measure and the blinking last line is annoying. The instrument cluster in general seems like they only thought about ease of design and cost cutting. I see no reason or excuse for us not having mpg readout in addition to miles to empty and a gear indicator.

That's exactly what the 750 models now have, but all that glitters is not gold, as they say.

There have been more than a few reports about glitches and problems cropping up with the new dashes that have never appeared on our bikes.

Also, my BMW had such a gauge system with a more comprehensive number of bars, a read out with miles to go, estimated miles to empty once reserve was reached, and average mileage in real time, etc. Y'know what? It was hideous! Much, much, worse than anything you think the NCX readout is guilty of!

It's readout would say the tank was full until more than half the tank was used, and then instantly plummet to near empty, where it would then wildly fluctuate, going up and down like crazy with no rhyme or reason! It would cheerfully tell you you had 60 miles before empty, then you'd promptly run out dead dry!

Also, my BMW had such a gauge system with a more comprehensive number of bars, a read out with miles to go, estimated miles to empty once reserve was reached, and average mileage in real time, etc. Y'know what? It was hideous! Much, much, worse than anything you think the NCX readout is guilty of!

It's readout would say the tank was full until more than half the tank was used, and then instantly plummet to near empty, where it would then wildly fluctuate, going up and down like crazy with no rhyme or reason! It would cheerfully tell you you had 60 miles before empty, then you'd promptly run out dead dry!

:eek: Oh my . . The stories go on . . It seems that pure evil lurked within that BMW! :eek:

:eek: Oh my . . The stories go on . . It seems that pure evil lurked within that BMW! :eek:

I'm always afraid people will think I'm making this stuff up, there is just so much. lol :eek: I'm not, really!

One day I should tell you of the great secret of the North America spec. fuel tank volume, that I went to great lengths to document with picture proof and everything...:mad:

Wait a minute, I need to make some popcorn.

View attachment 13297

Just a brief tease ;)

Removing the seat exposed the front tank cover. Under this cover, is the (USA only) emissions charcoal canister. Canadian bikes, were listed by BMW and BMW Canada, as "Euro-spec" compared to the "US-spec" models, with a variety of differences unique to the rest of the world and in particular, Canadian requirements.

BMW listed the entire F800S and ST model World line up as having a 16 litre fuel tank.

I couldn't understand why I could never put much over 13 and a bit litres in my tank to the point of over filling, even when I had run out totally empty. (due to the spastic non-working fuel gauge set up) UK owners had shown pictures of them easily putting in 17+ litres in theirs!!! :eek:

It became pretty obvious why. The rest of the world didn't have the charcoal canister, so the volume of the tank was a nominal 16 litres, able to be slightly overfilled to over 17 litres easily.

Looking at mine with cover removed, showed the Canadian bikes got the US tanks for some bizarre reason, yet we didn't have the charcoal canister like the US had in that spot. The tank was physically smaller, and a different shape, with the whole front end scooped out to accommodate a non existent canister.

BMW corporate and BMW US/Canada denied there was any difference!!! Every single dealer scoffed at anyone who dared claim otherwise until pictures were presented to them. At that point they clammed up and made absolutely no comment on why they denied it in the first place.

Red lines adding for a reference point across 4 threaded studs, the same on all bikes.

front tank cover.jpg

Euro-spec front tank shape, showing in blue, the increased volume available to them.

Euro spec 16 litre tank.jpg

My tank, not anywhere near 16 litres (I figured roughly 13, with the ability to over fill to a wee bit more)

my not 16 litre tank grrrr.jpg

Attachments

• DSCF0317.jpg
    DSCF0317.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 308
BMW corporate and BMW US/Canada denied there was any difference!!! Every single dealer scoffed at anyone who dared claim otherwise until pictures were presented to them. At that point they clammed up and made absolutely no comment on why they denied it in the first place.

You know what they say, "*Specifications subject to change without notice." :mad:

So it seems to be the consensus that when I get around 200 miles on a tank, I should start looking to refill! This is good information to know! I am used to analog needle type gauges, not these fancy digital ones! :confused:

So it seems to be the consensus that when I get around 200 miles on a tank, I should start looking to refill! This is good information to know! I am used to analog needle type gauges, not these fancy digital ones! :confused:

It depends on how you ride. If you do a lot of high speeds (over 70mph) you may need to think about fueling up around 180 miles. Although I rarely put over 3.0 gallons of fuel in the tank so there is plenty left. You are pretty safe assuming you'll hit 200 miles on normal riding.

It depends on how you ride. If you do a lot of high speeds (over 70mph) you may need to think about fueling up around 180 miles. Although I rarely put over 3.0 gallons of fuel in the tank so there is plenty left. You are pretty safe assuming you'll hit 200 miles on normal riding.

Last week on my second day on Interstate 10, somewhere in Florida near Tallahassee, I ran out of gas at 124 miles. Fun putting in extra gas stopped on side of interstate? Guess I might have been driving a bit over 70 mph.

My best ever was riding back roads to Murphy's Steakhouse in Winchester, Texas near La Grange, Texas, that was 186 miles on a tank. Guess when your short, fat, and ugly there is nothing you can do but except the fact that you will never get good gas mileage.

Solution: Carry extra gas!

SmileyOneEyeTounge.jpg

Last edited:
Last week on my second day on Interstate 10, somewhere in Florida near Tallahassee, I ran out of gas at 124 miles.

My best ever was 186 miles on a tank.

oof

That's like 33 mpg and 49.6 mpg (based on actually totally empty)

I'm somewhere in the middle of yours with my worst, but I'm quite a bit better with my best.

I can't offhand think of any other bikes I've seen, that have such a wildly variable mpg ability than the NCX! :eek:

Last week on my second day on Interstate 10, somewhere in Florida near Tallahassee, I ran out of gas at 124 miles. Fun putting in extra gas stopped on side of interstate? Guess I might have been driving a bit over 70 mph.

My best ever was riding back roads to Murphy's Steakhouse in Winchester, Texas near La Grange, Texas, that was 186 miles on a tank. Guess when your short, fat, and ugly there is nothing you can do but except the fact that you will never get good gas mileage.

Solution: Carry extra gas!

You must have been facing a pretty stiff headwind.

This is all well and good if your trip meter doesn't randomly reset. I've got a little less than 600 miles on my 2014 NC700X, and have had the Trip-A meter reset at least 4 times. It didn't reset prior to my first fill-up, which occurred at 190-something miles (don't know exactly since it switched every readout to 0.0!)

My second fill was before it went on reserve, and my third yesterday after riding 12 miles with the blinking red bar. Only took 2.92 gallons. Now that I know that 0.0 is actually counting UP to 0.87, I won't be as worried on longer trips. But, the trip reset is really annoying. I'm thinking of ignoring Trip-A (which I would normally use) and try resetting Trip-B for refueling purposes.

Of course, I will report the meter resets to my Honda dealership, though I doubt they will do anything with that information.

lots of you are reporting about the reset, please write to Honda corporate. they get enough letter and they will do something about it.

Last edited:
Has anyone had a problem with the fuel gauge showing two bars and running out? Thats what happen to me the other day. Pissed me off being a newer bike (under 5k). I don't see why it would matter but would a slip on exhaust have anything to do with causing a sticking float or bad fuel sending unit whatever it has? I'm taking mine in under warranty so not sure if I should put the stock exhaust back on?

Has anyone had a problem with the fuel gauge showing two bars and running out? Thats what happen to me the other day. Pissed me off being a newer bike (under 5k). I don't see why it would matter but would a slip on exhaust have anything to do with causing a sticking float or bad fuel sending unit whatever it has? I'm taking mine in under warranty so not sure if I should put the stock exhaust back on?

No, having a slip on isn't affecting it. A fair number of owners are reporting a wonky fuel gauge/sender unit, with I think the 2014 models being the most prone to problems, including the infamous random trip reset to zero.

No, having a slip on isn't affecting it. A fair number of owners are reporting a wonky fuel gauge/sender unit, with I think the 2014 models being the most prone to problems, including the infamous random trip reset to zero.

I agree and appreciate your feedback. Another question I have is whether the dealership will accept this as a warranty issue with mods installed, pipe in my case.

Yup, happened to me once. Had 186 miles on the trip meter. Thought I could make it to the next gas station, as I had two bars showing. Didn't make it. Had to wake my dad up at 05:30am to bring me some gas, as I was too far from any stations to push the bike and I ran out just a few miles from my folks house. But, knock on wood it hasn't happened since.

View attachment 13261

At the speeds I drive, if I waited to 200 miles, I would be at least 50 miles out of gas! I run out of gas so often that I try to always carry extra gas with me!

Well then, I thank you sir, for slowing down and never complaining about the speeds I drive when we took our trip! :eek:

When I get flashed, I usually have more than 1 gallon left. I still start looking for a gas station.

Back