• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Which is more important

retroman

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Folks:

I just adjusted the free play on the chain but I noticed that even if I had the marks on the adjusters on the swing arms equal that the chain does not center on the teeth of the rear sprocket. I tends to ride slightly to the right. Not bad, but not in the center. Is it more important that the chain feeds on to the rear sprocket right in the center, OR should the marks on the adjusters be equal regardless? Or am I being too picky.

Bob

People that want what they regard as best chain alignment often use a tool that clamps to the rear sprocket. It has a long pin on it that is used to sight forward down the chain to the front sprocket. The idea is that if the two sprockets are in alignment, and the chain runs parallel to the rear sprocket, that is a more important or relevant measure than using the swingarm marks.

I’ve read of a lot of people claiming the swing arm marks are “way off”. Personally, I have not found the swingarm marks to differ from the chain alignment tool in any significant way. So to keep it simple I now just use the swingarm marks and walk away, without fussing over extreme accuracy. I hate chains and don’t want to devote any more time to their maintenance than I have to.

As for the chain riding on one side of the rear sprocket, well I guess I never paid much attention. If you want, get the alignment tool and see how that looks. The MotionPro tool is widely available. https://www.motionpro.com/product/08-0048

I never use the swing arm marks. To keep it straight I mark a line parallel to the adjustment nut on each side and tighten each side by an equal number of flats. Then I double check with the motion pro alignment tool

I align the chain and basically ignore the swingarm marks. That said, on some bikes the two sprockets can be made to be parallel, but not directly in line front to rear. That may make a chain ride to one side of each sprocket. I wouldn't worry about that. I'd get the sprockets aligned the best I could and ride it. Anyway that's what I do with mine. I have the MotionPro tool previously mentioned, and find eyeball alignment to be just as good.

Thanks guys. I tweeked the alignment nuts so that the chain rides pretty much in the middle of the rear sprocket. The alignment marks on the swing arms are close to being equal. I DID notice that the bike seems to be quieter than before, but as I bought the bike used, the last tire change might have been more of a "hurry up" job with little notice to the finer details.

Bob

Back