• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Who's not happy with their seat?

gkgeiger

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I just got off the phone with Rocky Mayer of Bill Mayer Saddles. He's doing an NC700X seat for a friend the 1st of Oct. I hope to have mine done around the middle of Oct. He would be open to a group buy if we can get enough interest. Respond to this thread if interested. I've seen his work and it's exceptional. If you've never owned a custom saddle you don't know what your missing. Here's a link to his website BILLMAYERSADDLES, aftermarket motorcycle seats, custom motorcycle seats, the Original Mayer Saddle

Last edited:
I have an interest, but it will be hard to talk me out of a Russell. I would love to see a picture of the first NC custom seat though when it is finished.

Lee,
I understand what you're saying, I've had RDL's on my last 4 bikes. I think the thing I like about Rocky's seats is his style is better suited to this bike. My RDL would really look strange on this bike. I'm sure we can get pics when available.

004640x480.jpg

I am interested.

There are a lot of options, but his seats start at around $400. Remember it's built for you. He needs to know your weight, height, and inseam. He wants a picture of you sitting on the bike in riding position. The same for your passenger if your getting the pillion custom made. If only doing a solo he just covers the rear to match the front. He also needs to know how many miles you would ride in a day maximum.

Lee,
I understand what you're saying, I've had RDL's on my last 4 bikes. I think the thing I like about Rocky's seats is his style is better suited to this bike. My RDL would really look strange on this bike. I'm sure we can get pics when available.

004640x480.jpg

Anything that looks like an inverse plaster cast of my butt is going to have trouble looking good. I find that I can't see it when I am seated on it. Your BMW is a lot cleaner looking than my old war dog and you may care more about aesthetics than I do. I care only how it works. If the BMS works as well as a Russell, I may give them a try, but honestly, I am so completely satisfied with Russell that even then I may go with what I know. Heck, I even had a heated leather RDL on my scooter.

Anything that looks like an inverse plaster cast of my butt is going to have trouble looking good. I find that I can't see it when I am seated on it. Your BMW is a lot cleaner looking than my old war dog and you may care more about aesthetics than I do. I care only how it works. If the BMS works as well as a Russell, I may give them a try, but honestly, I am so completely satisfied with Russell that even then I may go with what I know. Heck, I even had a heated leather RDL on my scooter.

I have read so many reviews saying the same thing about RDL seats. I may get a gel pad under the OEM skin for now. Until I save enough for a RDL.
When other riders look at my face, they will forget how ugly the seat is.

After reading silverpelicans seat report and calculating the cost it's clear that BMS is considerably less money. Rich does a nice job but Rocky's custom solo seat with matching rear seat cover is only $444 done in premium vinyl, and $599 in premium leather, compared to $625 for vinyl and $775 for leather. Plus if we get enough takers we will get it for less. I've been told, Rocky's dad Bill was the person that started what we now know as Russell seats. If you haven't been to the BMS site and looked at the Saddle Pics section you should. Here's a very informative article from the BMW Owners News. http://billmayer-saddles.com/BMS/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/BMWOwnersNews_3.pdf

P.S. I have no personal connection to BMS just think he does a super job and the style and quality will match our fine machines.

Strange how a set of initals can be completely different things to motorcyclist in different countries. Say BMS to UK riders of a certain age and their first thought would be of Bruce Main-Smith writer of excellent articles and publisher of Books concerning motorcycles

After reading silverpelicans seat report and calculating the cost it's clear that BMS is considerably less money. Rich does a nice job but Rocky's custom solo seat with matching rear seat cover is only $444 done in premium vinyl, and $599 in premium leather, compared to $625 for vinyl and $775 for leather. Plus if we get enough takers we will get it for less. I've been told, Rocky's dad Bill was the person that started what we now know as Russell seats. If you haven't been to the BMS site and looked at the Saddle Pics section you should. Here's a very informative article from the BMW Owners News. http://billmayer-saddles.com/BMS/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/BMWOwnersNews_3.pdf

P.S. I have no personal connection to BMS just think he does a super job and the style and quality will match our fine machines.

Count me in!

I recently emailed Sargent Seats to see if they had plans to make a seat for our bike. They said they had not seen enough interest yet to put it on their "to do" list. Hopefully (hint hint) they will get enough requests to develop one. While not in the same catagory as the true custom seats I have always had good luck with them, and they are light, reasonably priced, and don't require any down time.

Dick Fogg

Yes it's a real icon of biking in the UK Some people come over from mainland Europe just to visit it. Having said that it's just not got the same great atmosphere that it had when we used to go there back in the '60s. Like most things these days its all been sanatised.
I'm ashamed to admit that the only famous bike meeting place I know of in the USA is "The Rock Store" but I'm sure that you must have many others. The Ace is certainly the most famous in the UK.
Just as point of interest those of us in this part of the UK would pronounce it Ace caff not cafe

I'm in, too for the Mayer saddle, assuming the pricing works out at least within shouting distance of what was mentioned. Only 300 miles on mine, and I can already tell that stock NC7 saddle was just not meant for me.

Well, I rode just over an hour to a festival yesterday. I now understand all of the complaints about how the seat is uncomfortable. I usually do short runs to my different work locations so the seat has comfort has not been an issue....WOW!

I recently emailed Sargent Seats to see if they had plans to make a seat for our bike. They said they had not seen enough interest yet to put it on their "to do" list. Hopefully (hint hint) they will get enough requests to develop one. While not in the same catagory as the true custom seats I have always had good luck with them, and they are light, reasonably priced, and don't require any down time.

Just emailed Sargent. I had a Sargent on the Bandit I traded for the NC and loved it. I'd think a Sargent would only be ~$300 like the SV650 seats since they could do just the rider portion.

trey

Back