• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Why I bought the Honda NC700XD...

vman1313

Reaction score
Visit site
Here is the video I made from the day I bought my NC700XD. It is kinda LONG but I discuss why I bought her, why I traded in my Kawasaki Ninja 300 for her, the MODs already installed on the bike, and my first thoughts of the bike. If you can survive my ramblings :p you will also see me riding her on The Blue Ridge Parkway as well as on a Forest Service Road for the first time.

[video]https://youtu.be/QNQcqukcAQE[/video]

interesting how low the d model keeps the revs. another happy owner of one of the most understated bikes ever ! Thanks for the nice review..your forest service roads are in better condition than most `proper` roads where I live !

loved the views of the blue ridge road.... you're lucky to have such a place to ride.
Those of us who live in Cali aren't used to trees that come right up to the road side like that.
or green grass on hills
or water.

Congrats! Sweet bike!!! Enjoy and be safe!
P.S. what tires are on it?

interesting how low the d model keeps the revs. another happy owner of one of the most understated bikes ever ! Thanks for the nice review..your forest service roads are in better condition than most `proper` roads where I live !

Thanks! Yeah, we have some very nice service roads here...perfect for mild off roading but they can get very rocky and with lots of ruts at times. Its the side roads off of the service roads that are the challenge. Funny you mentioned the low revs on D mode. Check out my next video post for some OFF ROAD on the NC700XD.

loved the views of the blue ridge road.... you're lucky to have such a place to ride.
Those of us who live in Cali aren't used to trees that come right up to the road side like that.
or green grass on hills
or water.

Sorry about yalls water issues out there...yeah this is about 2 hours away from my house but I do feel lucky of the beautiful places I have to ride...and for the water! =)

Congrats! Sweet bike!!! Enjoy and be safe!
P.S. what tires are on it?

Thanks...I love it! Avon Distanzias...check out next video I posted where I off road on the NC700XD. It really showed how good those DISTANZIAs are.

Grats on the bike. Love the black bike with blacked out engine (mine is the same, black 2014 DCT). Love not being required to shift 100% of the time. I generally only downshift when passing as well. In twisties, I throw her in S and even when it shifts in the middle of the corner (I am getting better about the timing) I cant hardly feel it anyway. I have yet to find a single complaint other than I wish I had more time to ride.

Grats on the bike. Love the black bike with blacked out engine (mine is the same, black 2014 DCT). Love not being required to shift 100% of the time. I generally only downshift when passing as well. In twisties, I throw her in S and even when it shifts in the middle of the corner (I am getting better about the timing) I cant hardly feel it anyway. I have yet to find a single complaint other than I wish I had more time to ride.

My sentiments EXACTLY! Love the color...love not shifting...love I can downshift to pass...S is awesome in the twisties or on spirited rides...I was worried about shifts in the middle of corners but they are so smooth I never feel them....VERY HAPPY with the NC700XD!

As this is my first bike, people have been telling me I have "missed out" on working the clutch and gears manually. Well, after the MSF course, I can safely say I have NOT missed out on working the clutch and gears manually. My hand and forearm were worn out after that course. I am glad I know how, but more glad I dont have to. One of the guys who has been giving me the most grief about it sat on it last night for the first time, and was blown away. He could not believe that my 500# bike was easier to move around than his smaller 400# CB. He took back all the ribbing he has given me the last 4 months. He still gives it to me about it being an automatic, but he will have to go test drive one to see why it is so nice. Of course, I give him hell for using sidewalks as a "4th lane"

As this is my first bike, people have been telling me I have "missed out" on working the clutch and gears manually. Well, after the MSF course, I can safely say I have NOT missed out on working the clutch and gears manually. My hand and forearm were worn out after that course. I am glad I know how, but more glad I dont have to. One of the guys who has been giving me the most grief about it sat on it last night for the first time, and was blown away. He could not believe that my 500# bike was easier to move around than his smaller 400# CB. He took back all the ribbing he has given me the last 4 months. He still gives it to me about it being an automatic, but he will have to go test drive one to see why it is so nice. Of course, I give him hell for using sidewalks as a "4th lane"
When I am stuck in stop and go traffic, I do wish I had a DCT, but I do like my manual most of the time.

I'm very glad you guys love your DCT. I rode DCT test bikes 5 or 6 times (VRF1200F, NC700X, CTX700). While it's a marvel of engineering and it operates extremely well, I eventually got annoyed with the shift choices the bike made and just went to using them in manual mode. Using a clutch and shifter is so "automatic" to me, the transmission type just doesn't matter to me as much as the engine character and the handling do. We also have three CVT scooters in our 6 bike fleet, and I switch back and forth between manual tranny and CVT without giving it any thought.

However, if I had never ridden motorcycles before and had to pick between manual or DCT, I'd expect the DCT would have been my choice, so I see where you're coming from.

I'm very glad you guys love your DCT. I rode DCT test bikes 5 or 6 times (VRF1200F, NC700X, CTX700). While it's a marvel of engineering and it operates extremely well, I eventually got annoyed with the shift choices the bike made and just went to using them in manual mode. Using a clutch and shifter is so "automatic" to me, the transmission type just doesn't matter to me as much as the engine character and the handling do. We also have three CVT scooters in our 6 bike fleet, and I switch back and forth between manual tranny and CVT without giving it any thought.

However, if I had never ridden motorcycles before and had to pick between manual or DCT, I'd expect the DCT would have been my choice, so I see where you're coming from.

I own one , did you know that the DCT computer learns your behavior overtime ? well mine has and it no longer shift at random

just like the ECU in your car.

Honda Worldwide | Tech Views | Vol. 1 : Q&A

read question 6 in article. this is a response from honda

I own one , did you know that the DCT computer learns your behavior overtime ? well mine has and it no longer shift at random

I would have loved it if they had included a bit more of the specifics in that. After about 4500km mine doesn't feel like it knows how i like to ride.

Here is the response in the article:
"Today, most of the automatic systems designed for motorcycles are continuously variable transmissions (CVT) similar to those used by scooters, etc. In a radically new approach, Honda's Dual Clutch Transmission features advanced electronic control technologies to achieve smooth and precise acceleration, including a learning function that finds the most suitable start, gear change and running operations for a motorcycle."

I don't see it stating that the DCT learns "your" behavior, i.e. the operators behavior. It says it adapts to the motorcycle. Besides, if the DCT is doing all the shifting, how would it learn what I like or dislike?

What I would like to see Honda add is a user mode, where the user can select from maybe 5 choices that are between between D and S, and have that be a third mode selectable with the D/S switch, sort of a D/S/U switch, where U is for user.

I absolutely agree. That's why I use the manual mode to shift up quick but then stay in 4th going 30mph. D mode lugs in 5th and it won't shift out of 3rd till 34 mph when using sport mode. It would be awesome to customize your options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is the response in the article:
"Today, most of the automatic systems designed for motorcycles are continuously variable transmissions (CVT) similar to those used by scooters, etc. In a radically new approach, Honda's Dual Clutch Transmission features advanced electronic control technologies to achieve smooth and precise acceleration, including a learning function that finds the most suitable start, gear change and running operations for a motorcycle."

I don't see it stating that the DCT learns "your" behavior, i.e. the operators behavior. It says it adapts to the motorcycle. Besides, if the DCT is doing all the shifting, how would it learn what I like or dislike?

What I would like to see Honda add is a user mode, where the user can select from maybe 5 choices that are between between D and S, and have that be a third mode selectable with the D/S switch, sort of a D/S/U switch, where U is for user.

My experience when I first started riding the bike is it would buck between second and first when coming to a stop in D mode. It doesn't do that anymore, so the DCT has adapted or I have or both.

Before purchasing my bike, one of my biggest fears of AUTO shifting was shifting during turns. I have not had the bike SHIFT during a bad moment but it has shifted mid turn. Luckily it is so smooth I dont feel it and most importantly it does affect my dynamics.

I have found D mode to be perfect when off roading and when just riding around nonchalant. S is perfect for twisties and spirited rides. Manual mode is perfect when getting into technical stuff off roading.

We all ride so different that a "learning" system or "programmable" system would be awesome!

I took the dct because I wanted ABS. So far...I like it. I don't miss shifting. My only fear is the increased complexity, thus more opportunities for mechanical (electronic) problems.

I took the dct because I wanted ABS. So far...I like it. I don't miss shifting. My only fear is the increased complexity, thus more opportunities for mechanical (electronic) problems.

Same here, I wanted ABS and I am also a little worried about the complexity. My main reason for buying the bike was the fact that the highest mileage I ever put on one bike was with the Honda Silver Wing I owned for two years. 10,000 miles each year I owned it and that was only riding for half of the year. I'm guessing the high miles were a result of having the automatic CVT.

Back