• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Why is my dash panel melting?

I wasn't referring to the screen having an effect at all in my first post, I was thinking more of a reflection in a garage off of a mirror/shiny surface (shiny hanging spanner??) for example, of course only if the garage has any holes or windows etc in it. Maybe a beam of light like this shining on the inside of the screen in a dark garage could melt the dash plastic?
Just a theory, quite unlikely I'll admit, but still a theory.

:rolleyes: One thing that comes to mind is on the X-files, when Fox Mulder encountered aliens while driving, weird stuff like this melted dash would happen. Being out in Arizona you're close to where a lot of UFOs visit. You haven't noticed a loss of 9 minutes time, have you? :rolleyes:

Sorry for the lack of seriousness. Just thinking outside the box here.

Last edited:
Mine partially melted this morning in almost the exact location, on a partly cloudy day, in the Pacific Northwest! Temperature about 50, not bright sunshine but not raining either... Did Honda repair under warranty? What was required to fix? Both the outer black plastic at the bottom is warped as is the clear plastic over the bottom of the instrument display. And this happened while I was at work, between 7 am and 11:30 am. I have V-stream windscreen and was parked facing north near non reflective building. Everything is working properly.

Honda is replacing the instrument cluster (just this one time). They report that they believe this is a specific issue with V-stream windshields. Seems very strange, but I appreciate they are taking care of the problem. I will order a cover like I use for my Garmin 590LM

^^^^^^^^^^^*
Think you got a gift from Honda..........they are fixing a problem caused by an aftermarket screen. Sounds like your dealer really is going the extra mile for you :cool:

Shout out to service mgr Justin, dealer Honda Lifestyles in Mount Vernon, WA, the regional Honda service representative. Part ordered. Still hard to believe this was caused by looking glass effect in cloudy, rainy NW. How about all the NC700s living in sunny climes?

Shout out to service mgr Justin, dealer Honda Lifestyles in Mount Vernon, WA, the regional Honda service representative. Part ordered. Still hard to believe this was caused by looking glass effect in cloudy, rainy NW. How about all the NC700s living in sunny climes?

As per my post #16, if you Google "V-Stream + melted dash" you will find many hits with every type and brand of motorcycle there is, with people who have experienced this exact thing. It's not something restricted solely to V-Stream; there are also many other after market windshields that have done it to various bikes.

It's just one of the risks you run, unfortunately.

spray black paint on the bottom half of the screen just above the clocks this should stop the sun from damaging them.
mra_dbb_bmw_K1200s.jpg

shoot, that must be sad - go to the parking lot seeing your bike being melted down...

Last edited by a moderator:
Honest to goodness, I am still PISSED about this! Dash melted on an _overcast_ day by an aftermarket windshield that costs more than a factory one?! That's utter and complete crap!
:mad:

Maybe you can turn this into a feature when camping, attach a small metal plate above the cluster with some kindling to start your campfires.

I have a vStream but have not left it parked in the sun for any time yet.

Parking in the sun won't do it. I did that many times without incident. You must park outside, away from all buildings, under an overcast sky if you want it to melt your dash. :rolleyes:

Parking in the sun won't do it. I did that many times without incident. You must park outside, away from all buildings, under an overcast sky if you want it to melt your dash. :rolleyes:
For a dash to melt without the sun, I'm inclined to call B.S. on that one. Luckily I have no reason to doubt you and I believe you. What I can't believe is how on earth a windshield could be designed to do that without the direct radiation from the sun. That is mind boggling. They deserve some type of engineering award for what they accomplished.

For a dash to melt without the sun, I'm inclined to call B.S. on that one. Luckily I have no reason to doubt you and I believe you. What I can't believe is how on earth a windshield could be designed to do that without the direct radiation from the sun. That is mind boggling. They deserve some type of engineering award for what they accomplished.

me too it's hard to believe. More likely it was internal electronic overheating or third party cigarette burn..

Honest to goodness, I am still PISSED about this! Dash melted on an _overcast_ day by an aftermarket windshield that costs more than a factory one?!
That's utter and complete crap!
:mad:

Maybe it's not complete crap. Maybe you into something... BIG.
I am waiting for this for looooong time - a proof of "disturbance in the force"...

View attachment 23312

or Our Brane came too close to Another Brane where some guy turned on directional space heater... :cool::cool::cool:

Ok, it's been a while since learning about this in school, but here's something else to muddy the waters. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't it a parabola that focuses light/sound/whatever onto one specific point no matter the source of the wave? Think flashlight or parabolic microphone. Any other curve would allow the light to be focused on different locations depending on the position of the sun. Correct? I have a hard time believing that sitting outside for an extended period of time would cause just one specific spot to melt. It seems to me that an extended time in the sun would cause a line of melted plastic extending across the dash. Of course this is just a random thought. Feel free to critique.

Clouds do not stop UV from the sun. People can get and do get sunburns on a cloudy day. It is the material in the aftermarket screens causing the UV to be more concentrated towards the dash.

Clouds do not stop UV from the sun. People can get and do get sunburns on a cloudy day. ....

Exposure to UV light causes human body to produce melanin for protection, most of the time not enough - hence skin burns. To do damage like in this case it needs to be exposed to IR from sun or from other heat source. Clouds block big part of heat radiation (IR) from sun. So whatever happened it must be exposed to direct sun (no clouds). Period!!!

Exposure to UV light causes human body to produce melanin for protection, most of the time not enough - hence skin burns. To do damage like in this case it needs to be exposed to IR from sun or from other heat source. Clouds block big part of heat radiation (IR) from sun. So whatever happened it must be exposed to direct sun (no clouds). Period!!!

Really, so car manufacturers make sure their windshields stop UV rays just because they want the added expense-they really care about our health and don't want us to get sunburns while driving around-nothing to do with protecting the car dashes-car plastics inside the cars huh, really, hmm; if cars did not have UV protection in the windshields, there would be damage to the dashes and plastics. UV rays cause damage anytime during the day; either cloudy or sunny, and not just to our skin.

Anybody out their with transition lens in their glasses. I don't have transitions anymore. If any one does please do the following test. Go out into the sun, place your glasses under an OEM windscreen, do they turn to sunglasses-if not, the screens have UV protection, now take the glasses and put them under an after market screen-preferably the one getting the most complaints in this forum, do the lens get darker, if the lenses turn, no UV protection in the plastic.

By the way, normal UV can melt certain plastics, while having no effect on other types of plastic (such as Lexan (sp) (information retrieved from "The effect of UV Light and weather on Plastics and other Elastomers).

Back