• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

why is the NC700 so appealing?

mike5100

Reaction score
Visit site
Another thread got me thinking about this where the poster says it's diffcult to compare the bike with others like cruisers or sports bikes. And a French video that's kicking about at the moment seems to show it as worse than any other bike that they ride alongside (other than a pushbike).
I could give a big list of features as to why this bike is great but I am trying to put my finger on why it is I would rather pull the NC out of the garage than almost anything else.

..... so here's my germ of an idea about why it appeals.
It's all about LEAN. Everything else I do on a bike I can do to a greater or lesser extent in my car (I don't do wheelies or stoppies on my bikes ;) ) So what, I hear you say - all bikes lean. Yes but 'leaning' gets me in the zone and everything about this bike makes everything else so forgettable that all you have to do is lean.

In other words I think what I am saying is that the appeal of the NC700X for me is the ease with which I can get in the zone.

Mike

No bike will appeal to everyone. Each individual has different needs and expectations. The riders size & weight added to the mix makes it even harder to make one bike fit all.

What do I like about the NC? When I placed my bum in the saddle and went for an hour test ride, it just felt right. Simple as that.

What do I like about the NC? When I placed my bum in the saddle and went for an hour test ride, it just felt right. Simple as that.

While I agree with the sentiment of that statement, I have to disagree with its literal meaning. The seat is the achilles' heel of this otherwise wonderful bike. I can not wait for an aftermarket solution.

Well other than an awesome price tag, and a reliable name like honda on the side, I personally really like the style and the specs of the bike. If I were to describe the NC 700 I say its a mature looking sport bike minus the thug attitude, and plenty of power to keep you head of traffic and out of trouble, but not enough to make you shit your pants if you crack it the wrong way.

I liked the bike from the moment I saw the previews in all the mags. It had a unique look that took me a minute to get (first look I thought BMW ugly adventure) but once you really follow the lines, put your hands on one it's pretty cool. Then the riding position is way easier on my old bones than my last ride. The motor is way easier on my license than my old ride. The whole bike is easier on my wallet buying gas and insurance. All of this made the bike an "easy" choice.

Last edited:
My previous main ride was a Buell Ulysses. Except for its handling at parking lot speeds and picking the darn thing up after it fell (kind of top heavy with that big Harley lump tucked 'way up in the frame/gas tank), it was the cat's meow for this rider. Handled the road perfectly for me. Well, it was also a little too tall for my 5'10" bod, and my 31" inseam, but that only matters when you're stopped.

After we parted ways, I was dead set on one of the Triumph Tiger 800's - I wanted a replacement with a smaller engine than the Buell's 1200cc, and maybe enough lighter to matter. Those Tigers sure seemed to fit the bill. But before I could get things together enough to spring for a new bike, these Honda's came out.

I kept telling myself how much better the Triumph's were than the NCX's. More power, more RPM, more serious adventure riding. Then I'd tell myself that the NCX's were better mileage, more then enough power, and what would I do with extra RPM's anyway, and I'm getting kind of old and broken for really serious off-roading anyway. Back and forth, back and forth.:confused:

I test rode the Triumph. Wwoooooo! Slick bike. Fast. Polished.

Then I managed to test ride an NCX. Oops. Bye, Triumph. Sorry about that. The NCX turned out to have all the stuff I liked about my Buell, and also managed to knock the mileage figures off the chart and it captured what seems like an amazingly low center of gravity, making even parking lot maneuvers as easy as pie. I can flat foot it with both feet, too. And it sure seems just as road friendly as my Buell ever was, except the suspension's not nearly as plush... Lots less money, too, than either the Buell was in 2009 or the Tigers are now.

I think I've got a keeper.:D

1 - Honda reliability with a Chinese price!
2- Awesome fuel mileage
3 - Standard riding position, ergonomics work for my aching joints.
4- Low center of gravity makes this easy on rough terrain.
5 - I could make this into a real adventure bike. (With proper mods.)

1 - Honda reliability with a Chinese price!
2- Awesome fuel mileage
3 - Standard riding position, ergonomics work for my aching joints.
4- Low center of gravity makes this easy on rough terrain.
5 - I could make this into a real adventure bike. (With proper mods.)
Just curious what would you consider proper mods to make it a real adventure bike?

..... nobody else find it easy to get in the zone on this bike then? I find myself humming inside my helmet within a minute or two of going out on the NC - always a good sign that I have connected with the bike and the ride
Mike

..... nobody else find it easy to get in the zone on this bike then? I find myself humming inside my helmet within a minute or two of going out on the NC - always a good sign that I have connected with the bike and the ride
Mike

I agree very easy to just jump on the bike and go!

Well, it really is a new concept, and most people like new vehicles. That however is only a small part of the appeal to me. The main appeal to me is what you see on this forum. When the main gripes about a motorcycle are the seat, minor clunking/notchy transmission, and a small rpm range where vibration can be felt by some owners, you are talking about a truly excellent bike. Please don't misunderstand, I am in no way trying to ignore the issues some posters have. I'm just saying that if you compare the gripes posted here to those listed on other motorcycle forums, we've got it pretty good. We don't even have a section on this forum for "problems" and from what I've read, we don't need one.
That, to me makes this bike seriously appealing.

Bob

I like the back to basics sit up and comfortable regular old motorcycle that has today's fuel injection and electronic technology with awesome fuel mileage and a total blast to ride. I think this is where Honda was back in the 70's when they became number one in the USA and touched the hearts of most of us with an affordable and fun motorcycle that appealed to the masses. Yea, to me, I think that about covers it, I almost feel like a teenager again!!!...only older, lots older. LOL

Back