• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Winter Storage Time

Tigershark

Reaction score
Visit site
Sad day. I put the NC into winter storage. Topping off the tank for the very first time came up with exactly 70 miles per gallon on the first 175 miles ridden.

The only two issues I'll be investigating this winter are the seat and wind screen. Actual purchases, if made, will happen in the spring when I can do road tests with the replacement products.

In the meantime, I'll be reading posts here and adding my two cents from time to time. Now's the time I always want to be in the southern hemisphere.

Happy riding to one and all.

I lived in Michigan for nine years. I feel your pain. :(

That was long enough to drive me back to the Los Angeles area. Say what you will about the overpopulation. It was 80 degrees here yesterday, not a could in the sky. And the mountains around here, awesome riding. It's a trade-off for all of the people that live here, I guess.

I did the same this past Sunday. Sad I know, only 515 miles on the bike. Oil change soon. I plan on shopping for modifications. (I find farkling word disgusting to use) On the list is lowering, and new windshield. After that greatly increasing the seats comfort, and the bikes storage capacity.

Hope to be riding again in March.

I did the same this past Sunday. Sad I know, only 515 miles on the bike. Oil change soon. I plan on shopping for modifications. (I find farkling word disgusting to use) On the list is lowering, and new windshield. After that greatly increasing the seats comfort, and the bikes storage capacity.

Hope to be riding again in March.

How do you plan on increasing storage capacity?

Why are you guys storing the bike now as the weather is still nice enough? I will be moving to Wisconsin in a few years and have been there many times over winter. There are many days where the sun is out and blue skies too though it does get cold. With the right gear you could still ride through winter on select days.

Last edited:
People in the great lakes have it rough, as far as weather is concerned. I understand why TigerShark is already putting the bike away. Here in the Pacific NW, I only have to manage some light persisting rain thru the fall and winter months. But I don't have to deal with extreme cold and snow fall. TC3, you are in for a treat when you move to Wisconsin. :D 3 months of below freezing temp is just too much. Not to mention the snowfall, especially if you are in the northern part.

Sure you can ride in the rain and 40 to 50 degree weather here in the Northwest, but why? I almost wish it was colder so I would not be looking to see if there are any breaks in the forecast and would just winterize the machine and not think about riding.

Art

Can you ride all year if you really want to, or are there conditions that would make riding not only unpleasant but impossible? I would think you could even ride in snow or ice if you wanted to by putting knobby tires (if they make them for the NC) on your bike, but I could be horribly wrong about that.

Last edited:
Sure you can ride in the rain and 40 to 50 degree weather here in the Northwest, but why? I almost wish it was colder so I would not be looking to see if there are any breaks in the forecast and would just winterize the machine and not think about riding.

Art

The rain slows the traffic on I-405 down to a grind. Just this morning, the 10-mile stretch between Tukwila and Bellevue would take 38 minutes (according to the info sign on the freeway). Riding in was well worth it. I will save myself 1 hr today from sitting in bumper to bumper traffic. I can handle the cold down to maybe 30F, if the road is dry and clear of snow/ice.

I have been to Racine to see wifeys family many times over winter. Yes it does get bitterly cold but I have seen so many dry cold days through out winter that would have been ideal for riding as long as you have the correct gear. I see a handful of bikers when out there in winter who ride in the wet and that includes my wifeys uncle. I just do not get why you would put your bike away all winter. Do you ride because you enjoy it? If so you can still enjoy it over select days through out winter. If I chose to only ride in the dry here in UK I would likely not bother owning a bike.
So I ask why would you not ride in the rain? I just looked at weather in WI and do not understand why anyone would store the bike at this moment in time!

Last edited:
Just curious as to how you will be doing road tests with aftermarket accessories?

Um... Ride the bike? Really I must not understand your question.

As to some who posted in here about the Great Lakes region and why I/we put the bike in storage. Cold. We are lucky if its in the upper 20F's The nights get into the teens. And sometimes in January it will go below 0F for a couple of days.

I enjoy riding. But when it is too cold, and I have to wear ridiculous amounts of clothing to stay warm, it is no longer fun to ride. I've looked at heated equipment and apparel, but for now, this winter, no riding.

As I type this, it is 40.5F outside. Cold.

Not to mention the truckloads of salt about to be dumped on the road at the slightest snow flurry. I've already reapplied undercoating on the car, and T-9'ed the rest that I don't want to rust. And this weekend the plan is to put the snow tires on the cars.

I will be putting my NC away in storage for the winter soon.Although I could ride most of the winter here,I don't have indoor storage.Its not worth keeping the bike outdoors through all the wet cold weather we get(even under a cover).I would only use it occasionally as I don't commute with it.
Besides when there's snow on the mountains I like to get my skis out.
My bike will see it's 12,000 km service and a new rear tire while in storage.

I totally forgot that many riders in USA do not wear protective gear and are reluctant to dress up and they can hardly ride around naked in winter can they :)

I totally forgot that many riders in USA do not wear protective gear and are reluctant to dress up and they can hardly ride around naked in winter can they :)

Some of us.. I ride all winter.. I just pick the warmest days of the month and suit up!

Not to mention the truckloads of salt about to be dumped on the road at the slightest snow flurry.

This is why I stored my bike during the winter when I lived in upstate New York. The salt crud would make short work of it. I did try to ride it one clear winter day and the bike was so cold that when I sat on it, it felt like a concrete picnic bench. Neither the seat nor the suspension gave up a millimeter. I do have electric gear, but I had to ride so cautiously on the streets which were littered with sandy "traction aids" that it wasn't any fun. So I put it back up and did "winter things".

Then, I came to my senses and moved back to Georgia.

Um... Ride the bike? Really I must not understand your question.
Well Rocket, I've been waiting since 9/17 for $1500 worth of accessories that I've never even seen, let alone test rode with them before I bought them. If you and the OP have something going on with your suppliers, please let the rest of us in on it.

Okay. Looks like a couple of questions to answer after my first storage post.

First and foremost is the temperature. During winter months, our ground freezes and stays that way for the season. This can provide unlimited opportunities for unexpected patches of ice. Hitting one of those while making the slightest curve will take you down in a heartbeat. Even going in a straight line, you can forget about braking hard on ice. On unseasonably warm, sunny days the roads can be perfectly dry until you happen to pass through a stretch that is shaded most of the day. When you do, there's usually ice. Not only is there ice, but this tends to be in the middle of a wooded area or swamp, where chances are pretty good that a deer will be in front of you while you're still processing its appearance out of nowhere.

Beyond that is the reduced comfort level, the salt, the limited amount of daylight and limited number of good riding days.

Plus, putting the NC into storage provided the required spot to have my snowblower ready to use on a daily basis ;-)

On the question asked about when I'll be testing after market add-ons. I plan to do that in the spring when the bike comes back out of storage. Good luck returning something that doesn't work four months after you bought it.

Make no mistake; I'll be envying all of you who have the opportunity to get out. I have ridden on Christmas, my birthday (Dec. 30) and New Year's when the weather allowed it and will continue to do so. Storage is walking distance from my home allowing easy access.

...I did try to ride it one clear winter day and the bike was so cold that when I sat on it, it felt like a concrete picnic bench. Neither the seat nor the suspension gave up a millimeter...

LOL! I was born up in northern British Columbia.

It took less than a millisecond to be transported back to that feeling of sitting on a frozen-solid foam bike seat, and shock absorbers with all the give of a steel post.

As I live and breathe bikes, thank heavens I now live in the "Canadian Riviera" and Vancouver's mild winters! Last year it was only minus 10C for a few days at the worst, and the infrequent small snow amount was quite manageable to skitter through on the commute to work, on my little CBR :D

I'm getting old though. I really don't like the thought of stuffing it and breaking ever more brittle bones, sigh...

Back