• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Woody's Spoked Wheels for NC700x

gqelements

Reaction score
Visit site
Interested in converting your NC into a more capable adventure bike? I Know I am!

Recently, in an email Chris from Woody's Wheel Works advised that there may be a possibility of developing a set of spoked wheels for the NC700x if there was enough interest from the owner community and if a set of donor wheels could be sourced.

As I haven't orchestrated one of these 'petitions' before so here goes my best attempt.

Please reply below expressing your interest and if you would have an opportunity to provide a donor (if not, perhaps we can try Honda USA or other avenues).

PS: This thread is also on the ADV Rider Forum , but I think we will all appreciate if the members can help spread the word.

Woody is the best in the business, but unless they are proper tubeless spoked wheels with bead retention, I would not be willing to trade the convenience and safety of tubeless tires for the extra strength of the spoked wheels. I also wouldn't be a donor until one of my two BMW's are back in service. Lastly, I'd probably be looking for a 19 inch front if I went to the expense of spokes. Of course, once he has looked at a set and determined what donor hubs to use, he could lace up either size rim.

We haven't seen anyone damage a wheel yet to my knowledge. Maybe they are strong enough.

I have to go with Bemmerphile on this one. So far I haven't trashed my wheels yet and love not having to run a tube. I just helped a friend change tires on his bike today and realized how much I like my tubeless tire.

It would be a proper beaded 19" as that would be a must for me before actually buying an NC700x myself (this excersize is peliminary research for me) :)

No pictures as having interest and a donor was their request before doing up the first set.

Until I can buy a spare set of wheels for mine, it wont happen. I wont be without my NCX for that long.

It would be a proper beaded 19" as that would be a must for me before actually buying an NC700x myself (this excersize is peliminary research for me) :)

No pictures as having interest and a donor was their request before doing up the first set.

Hey, I know you lol ;) Welcome

Before anybody thinks about a 19" front has anybody figured out if one will fit and not contact the radiator at full compresion ???.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Before anybody thinks about a 19" front has anybody figured out if one will fit and not contact the radiator at full compresion ???.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes it will. You would have to add a minimum of one inch to the fork length, so a 19 inch wheel would raise the bike by two inches in the front.

I would imagine someone wanting spoked wheels with a 19" front, would be of suitably hardcore offroad intent to desire an extra 2" or more of ground clearance anyway, but great point fellas!

I wonder what the point of diminishing returns is, in a spoked wheel NC700X advocate? (if not right off the bat, lol)

It would be remiss of me not to at least mention with mild guilty concience, poor Cburn being given the gears "for the luv of gawd, it's not worth hopping up an NCX!!" versus enthusiasm being shown for trying to make a slow heavy Streetbike into a Motocrosser, hee hee. :eek:

I would imagine someone wanting spoked wheels with a 19" front, would be of suitably hardcore offroad intent to desire an extra 2" or more of ground clearance anyway, but great point fellas!

I wonder what the point of diminishing returns is, in a spoked wheel NC700X advocate? (if not right off the bat, lol)

It would be remiss of me not to at least mention with mild guilty concience, poor Cburn being given the gears "for the luv of gawd, it's not worth hopping up an NCX!!" versus enthusiasm being shown for trying to make a slow heavy Streetbike into a Motocrosser, hee hee. :eek:

Nobody does adventure riding on a motocrosser, but I'll play along. Firstly, no-one said hopping up the motor was wrong, the strident responses were regarding whether it was reasonably achievable on this unusually designed motor. Secondly, wheel changes are technically feasible and have not been designed out by the manufacturer. Whether it is worth it, I considered it early on and decided against it. I would have gone 2 inches over front and rear - just about the difference between the GS and GS Adventure (both of which, BTW, have the same engine).

If I manage to destroy a wheel (or become incredibly bored) I might undertake it.

anyone gone thru the hassle of the conversion yet?
or maybe transplant the whole fork assembly frm maybe a africian twin!

I'm wondering about the fact that the fender would have to be raised considerably to clear the 19" tire . Then the fender colliding with the lower clamp upon compression. If the 700x had not been designed with a beak in the 1st place , would we owners be making or dream of making all these mods to make it into a "true" adventure bike ? I'm not putting down the mods. I enjoy seeing all the mods that folks here come up with.. I'm just curious. Mod on !

I'm wondering about the fact that the fender would have to be raised considerably to clear the 19" tire . Then the fender colliding with the lower clamp upon compression.

There is not much room to raise anything to clear a 19 inch front wheel as you have surmised. Some have raised the front fender a bit to clear a taller 17 inch front tire. Others have lowered the forks a similar amount in an effort to reduce seat height. The limit seems to be about one inch. To fit a 19 inch tire/wheel comfortably, it would likely be necessary to increase the fork length to hold the top of the fender to within an inch or less from where it is now. Bear in mind that if you did not use a different fender made for a 19 inch wheel, that the fender would have to be raised relative to the top of the tire because it would be too close at the two ends because the radius of curvature was too small for the larger tire diameter. I put 2 inch fork extensions on mine in order to increase ground clearance with the 17 inch wheel. I only ended up raising the suspension about 1-1/8 inches, but that would be enough to clear a 19 inch wheel. Only the difference in radius (not diameter) is important to fork length. The other half of the increase is taken in the distance from the axle to the ground - which is to say that the seat height would be increased by that amount. A 19 inch front would be two inches taller when you add the inch of fork increase to the inch of extra axle height. That would begin to be a problem for many riders. Mine is quite high enough for me now (with the fork increase and a Russell seat) and even at 6'-2" I would not want to live with it any taller.

I looked at Acerbis for motocross fenders that I could mount to my light bar and remove the stock fender all together. It seems like the brake line would need to be rerouted somehow since it sits directly below the middle of the fork unless you could fashion a bracket to drop the fender down a few inches to clear the brake line.

I'd love to have a 19" spoke wheel but I doubt I'd pay what the going price for one would be.
Mike

I looked at Acerbis for motocross fenders that I could mount to my light bar and remove the stock fender all together. It seems like the brake line would need to be rerouted somehow since it sits directly below the middle of the fork unless you could fashion a bracket to drop the fender down a few inches to clear the brake line.

I'd love to have a 19" spoke wheel but I doubt I'd pay what the going price for one would be.
Mike

The brake line has a molded-in bracket that has an uncanny way of getting in the way of anything you might try to do up-front. I replaced mine with a Goodridge stainless line when I put the ABS caliper on my non-ABS bike. That would probably be a possibility here as well.

Back