• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Wunderlich Wind Deflector - Review and Testing

Skeleton

Reaction score
Visit site
Wunderlich Wind Deflector - Review and Testing

Yesterday I received a Wunderlich Wind Deflector. This reports on the installation, testing and effectiveness.

APPARTUS
- Me: 5'-9" tall, 30" inseam.
- Honda NC750-S 2014
- CalSci (tall screen)
- Wunderlich Wind Deflector (visor)

INSTALLATION
- The manufacturer recommends adding thread-lock to all screws. Instead, I added teflon plumber's tape to all threaded screws. This creates a resistive fit of the screws, while allowing future adjustment.
- The manufacturer provides rubbers seats for only one of the two sides of the metal mount, which contacts the plastic screens. Instead, I added rubber seats to both sides of mount at each contact. The rubber seats where affixed with two-sided tape.

TESTING
- Most screws were fully tightened except for the two screws responsibility for setting the height and rake angle of the visor. Those screws were partially tightened, to allow manual readjustment WHILE ridding the bike at speed.
- Added tell-tales (string) to edge of wind screen and wind visor. These reveal laminar or turbulent air flow that trails past the edge of the screens.
- Ride the bike at 100 kph on highway, with repeated adjustment of the visor's angle.
- Note the noise level to rider for various postures (height and rake angle) of the visor, and turbulence on the tell-tales.

MY THEORY

The visor had only the effect of changing the location of the boundary layer zone for the rider. It did not seem to have any effect on buffeting (neither creating nor eliminating). The experienced noise was attributed to the small eddies that form along the turbulent boundary layer.

The rake angle of the visor can create laminar flow in the start of the boundary layer, if the angle closely matches the wind screen. However, any such laminar flow will always turn into turbulent flow after reaching out to the distance where the rider's ears are. As such, the highest noise level is coincident with the rider's ears being within the boundary layer zone.

MY OBSERVATIONS

The posture with the quietest effect for the rider, is when the top of visor is at eye level (or no more than 1 inch below) of the rider - this is just above height of ears. The trailing air is very disturbed, as seen with turbulent tell-tales. However, the high turbulence does not have any acoustic effect (noise or buffeting) on the rider, since the boundary layer is above the rider's ears - on account of the tall posture of the visor. From previous sound meter testing, I would surmise the visor lowered the noise level by about -10 dB ... this is a huge improvement. Without the visor I would need to speak loudly to hear my voice in my helmet; while with the visor I would need only to speak calmly to hear my voice. This posture will give worse fuel economy (although its impact would be very insignificant).

The posture with the least force on the visor is when the rake of the visor is only slightly (5 degrees) less than the rake of the wind screen. Thus, the visor forms a continued circular arc above the wind screen (think of a semi-spherical profile on the leading edge of an aerodynamic tear-drop shape). At this posture, the air pressure of the front face closely matches that on the rear face. This serves to extend laminar air flow into a larger envelope than otherwise would exist without the visor. This posture will give best fuel economy. This was not quietest, since the boundary layer was below the rider's ears, thus some noise was experienced.

PHOTOS

1) Most quiet (tallest).pg

1) Most quiet (tallest).jpg

2) Most aerodynamic.jpg

2) Most aerodynamic.jpg

3) Compromise to use.jpg

3) Compromise to use.jpg

Last edited:
Outstanding review and post. I found the top setting of yours the most quiet and best on a GIVI (I'm 5'10" 33 inseam, high waisted so like a 5'8" rider) but took it off after running in to some rain and not being able to look over it and going on an off road ride I needed to see over the shield.. I do think it makes it quieter and with less turbulence but the off road experience I desire to look over the shield. I now have a CeeBailey shield that does not need the Wunderlich. I was and still impressed with the quality of it and the engineering but the CeeBailey eliminates the need for me. I loved the review and your pictures with traces is the best I've viewed. Thanks for the detail.

Great post & pics! It encouraged me to invest in a Wunderlich about 3 months ago and I've been loving it ever since. I'm 6'0 and have the Tall Honda Touring screen. I've found the best setting for me is with the Wunderlich slightly more upright and forward. It creates a very nice quiet pocket of air for me to sit it and the air flow moves just off the top of my helmet. I now ride with my shield up (Helmet HJC FG-17) at 65-70 and don't even blink. I even got a back-up 3/4 Bell 500 helmet because it was such an improvement and I wanted to ride more open faced.

Yes, it is a bit pricey, but I would highly recommend this product to anyone.

Here's some pics of the forward setting I prefer -

wunderlich 1.jpgwunderlich 2.jpgwunderlich 3.jpg

I'm happy with mine. I was fairly sensitive to the wind even with a touring shield having come from an ST1300. I'm only 5-07 tall, 29" inseam. Mine is currently tipped more forward than what is depicted in this photo.

WindshieldExtSide.jpg

I have one I can loan out for anyone who wishes to try before they buy or sell reasonable. I switched to "OCRs" National Cycle Vstream system. The 18" allows me to see over yet keep all at bay. I also have the 22" but at 5'10" I cannot see over it so I dropped back to the 18". I leave 5/21 for AK so if need let me know soon.

I have one I can loan out for anyone who wishes to try before they buy or sell reasonable. I switched to "OCRs" National Cycle Vstream system. The 18" allows me to see over yet keep all at bay. I also have the 22" but at 5'10" I cannot see over it so I dropped back to the 18". I leave 5/21 for AK so if need let me know soon.

Any chance I could get a review on the Vstream Sport/Tour N20008 screen. I will be replacing my tall Honda with something else and this one is what I'm thinking about. I had Vstreams on my RT's and found them to be great. Thanks in advance.

Any chance I could get a review on the Vstream Sport/Tour N20008 screen. I will be replacing my tall Honda with something else and this one is what I'm thinking about. I had Vstreams on my RT's and found them to be great. Thanks in advance.
I had the Honda touring, Givi, CeeGee, the Wonderlich on the GiVi , and finally the Vstream. I got the 22" and you look through it like a GoldWing and it was great but I ordered the 18" and use it mostly as when the rain and spray gets on the shield I still wanted to see over for safety. I'm 5'10" but have a 34" inseam so short in the torso. Both were better than anything I tried before and the mount etc. is perfect. I like the quality and as OCR said and showed the polycarbonate is almost indestructible compared to the Acrylic. Sorry on my ipad and no spell checker.

Back