• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

20,000+ miles on a NC700

The_Drifter

Reaction score
Visit site
Just thought, I would create a thread for those who have over 20,000 miles on their Honda NC700, and would like to report their thoughts about the bike. As for myself, it does exactly what I expected of it. The only minor complaint that I have is that the original chain only lasted 13,500 miles. The new chain is doing well (not a honda replacement), and I really like Cycle Gear's Moto Pro Chain Lube, especially at the $6.00 per 13oz. can price. I tried 90w oil, which did a good job too, but it really stinks.

Commuting to work is about 90% Freeway, and if I go the speed limit (55mph 50%, 65mph 50%) , I get about 72-74 mpg, which I'm happy with. I have the Michelin Pilot 4 tires, and am pleased with them, but I may not get the expected 14,000 miles out of the rear tire. I got 12,500 miles from the Metzler Z8 rear tire.

I do all my own maintenance except for tire replacement. The NC700 is very easy to work on. The center stand in my opinion is a must have option. Replacing the chain was probably the most difficult task, I have done on the bike.

I bought my NC7 to RIDE. So, sometimes I go for a short RIDE, sometimes I go for a medium RIDE, and sometimes I just don't go home for a few months because I am RIDING.

I only have a little over 21k miles and the bike is running strong. I notice some vibes at the higher speeds but it hasn't stopped me from long distance travel. Some vibration is typical of parallel twins. Ditto on easy maintenance, and I changed my original chain early on also. I kept the sprockets and they seem good right now. I use the Michelin PR3's and have just over 12k mile on them. I am able to change them myself as I went in on a hydraulic changer with a couple of other friends. Makes it easy! I think they will be good for another couple thousand before I opt for the PR4's.

I just rolled over 20k yesterday on the way home from work. I commute about 55 miles a day year round. I replaced the original bt023's with new ones at 11250 miles and the chain when it let go at 16000 miles. I learned to weld aluminum after the chain broke to fix the mounting tab on the engine for the chain guide. I can't think of a motorcycle better fitted for my commuting needs, comfortable to ride and great mpg. Low maintenance is awesome. I don't who remember who said it but this is motorcycle is the sort of the rebirth of the Universal Japanese Motorcycle, a do all run forever bike.

42,000 miles, and it's a dream. I've had some memorable adventures, and that's what I got it for.
It's helped my soul "venture out beyond the walls of my counting house" to paraphrase Mr. Dickens.

chains last 16K.
Tires (continental motions) last 14K.
gas mileage 67 avg.
modifications: many, but all minor.

I'm just about to roll over 21k on mine. It's been a very good bike for me. It's super-thrifty overall, easy to service & maintain, and more versatile (and a bit more comfortable) than my CBR600F4 was, which is what I was looking for when I changed to it. The new Indian Scout has a whole lot of appeal to me, but I'm too cheap, or too broke, or some complex of those things, to be terribly likely to make a change.

The Honda center stand is worth whatever it costs you to get it. Seriously. My Continental ContiMotion tires are terrific, and very economical/cost-effective. I replaced the factory chain somewhere vaguely around 12k, IIRC, and the OEM Metzies not long thereafter. Next chain change I'll replace the sprockets, too. I do all my own maintenance, including tire changes thus far, and I'll almost-certainly be doing any and all repairs that may ever be needed. I've checked the valves twice, and at this point I expect them to be GTG for quite a while. They're easy and fast to check, though.

The factory seat was horrid for me. The slope mod helped, but I still put a Shad on. It's better, but I've ended up doing the slope mod on it, too.

I can't compete with Strat or several others in terms of pure miles, but I ride the bike most every day (I commute ~80 miles a day). It looks like it'll be like a 'typical' Honda bike from my younger days: reliable and pretty durable. Nearly as good as our Suzukis! :p

I have had the nc700x for 14 months now. It is not my commuter bike (my older bike is my commuter bike since it has so many miles on it -07 Suzuki C50, 70000+ miles); while I don't have 20,000 on it yet, I do have over 14,000 on it and will have over 16,000 (closer to 17,000) come mid Sept. If it was my commuter bike, I would have well over 20,000, my round trip is 80 miles per day (400 miles per week) and I commute almost every day in the warmer months and an occasional day during the winter.

Just checked my odo, 22,271miles. Will have had mine for two years coming up on the 19th of this month. Been pretty much problem free. Changed the chain and sprockets about the same time as average, tires about the same. No real issues. Just putting on the miles and smiles.

I don't have anything valuable to add, other than another data point. I'm at 27k, but have a 4k mile trip planned in a couple weeks, so I should crack 30k by Sept 1. No issues with the bike, just chain, couple pairs of tires, and front brake pads. I wouldn't expect anything different for another 30k :cool:

trey

I'm probably the only one in the WORLD to have to replace the timing chain tensioner .. Did that right at 8,000 miles. Other
than that no problems.
I've only got 9,189 on mine so I don't really belong here....by now!

I'm at 26,xxx miles and like others have said I have had no mechanical or warranty issues. I learned not to buy a cheap chain when one wears out but other that it's been just gas and tires. My bike is a recreational toy as I have a company car and can't ride to work even when I desire to. My NC is a couple weeks past two years with me. I ride for pleasure and have been on a few 3 to 8 day trips on it otherwise it's ridden almost every week when I'm not off somewhere for a few days on this or my other Honda. It does everything I ask of it pretty well and it excels at being thrifty. I ride with hooligan friends at times and when you twist it's tail on narrow twisty roads it hangs right with much more powerful bikes. To push my own envelope I've done two 1000+ mile days on mine with little effort. It's an economical all-rounder.

Just got to 16,000 miles and it's time for my 2nd oil change and valve check. Still running on stock tires, chain, and sprocket. The rear has squared a bit but I did my best to lean into corners as much as I can. I am planning on replacing both tires and chains in the fall, before the rainy season starts. The bike so far has been bullet proof and trouble free. MPG continues to climb year over year, as if the engine is still breaking in.

The battery thought appears to be losing power. A little surprising consider the bike/battery is only 2 years old and it's been ridden daily (commuter). But there has already been reports of weak battery on this site so I guess I am not the only one.

I've added Honda touring screen with NRA extension. The combo has been perfect for my 5'7 30" inseam. The wind hits me right at the top of my head. Handguards (Trackside) added plenty of protection from the elements that made commuting in the low 30s tolerable. With heated grips on the way, I think I am ready for the Seattle winter. :)

So far, this bike has been a great "investment". It's everything I thought it would be and more.

31k miles. On it's 3rd chain (first was almost immediately recalled), 3rd rear tire, 2nd front tire, 1k on it's 2nd set of front pads.

28k of it enjoyed through my awesome RaceTech suspension. Night and day from factory.

That is impressive. I'm not sure I've heard one other person make it that far on one set of tires. Not on this bike.

I changed my stock rear tire at 16K and the stock front at 20K with Pilot Road 3's. I'm just about to crack 30K now and both replacement tires still look good. Most of my riding is highway commuting.

Back