• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

20,000+ miles on a NC700

Daily drivers

So I was recently asked how many miles I thought my motorcycle would last, which got me thinking. So who here has the most miles and what parts have you changed along the way?

I've got 29k on my 2012 NC700X I bought last year with 5k miles. I rode friends and family's motorcycles when I was younger but this is the first one that I've owned. I've replaced the chain twice and front brake pads, sprockets once and a set of tires. Almost ready for another set of tires.

Last edited:
12,000 miles on mine since last January 2015. Tires, oil, filters (normal for use anyway). Replaced the chain as it really needed it, and I replaced the sprockets as well, though I could have gotten more miles out of them. This coming year, I am expecting to do another oil change and a rear tire, if not a front as well at some point.

I bought mine brand new, 0 miles out the door.

12,000 miles on mine since last January 2015. Tires, oil, filters (normal for use anyway). Replaced the chain as it really needed it, and I replaced the sprockets as well, though I could have gotten more miles out of them. This coming year, I am expecting to do another oil change and a rear tire, if not a front as well at some point.

I bought mine brand new, 0 miles out the door.

I go through chains every 12,000 miles, also. Mileage on tires all depends on the type of tires and the type of riding I have been doing. I also came on 3 years with the NC7 in Janurary. I have 83,000 miles currently, so my milage is down to 27,666 miles per year. I am currently riding less milage sence I retired, than before I retired. I put over 30,000 miles every year before I retired. I commuted over 100 miles every day, before I retired.

This topic comes up often so I merged the thread with a similar one.

After not riding for over ten years I had my NC700X for less then two weeks when I almost rear ended a truck that was stopped just after a sharp corner, I pulled rookie mistake number two and locked up my rear tire and killed what little was left of it. Sense then I've tried to give myself enough time to stop using just my front brake, using just my front brake 95% of the time my tires ware out at almost exactly the same time. I'm using Michelin PR4's and I've gotten 17k so far, they have 3 or 4 left. but I've only got 6 stop lights from my house to work and it's a 120 mile round trip. Luckily it's not a straight line [emoji41] 20 miles are a mountain pass and most of the rest has some good curves

Last edited:
I am always surprised by how many miles people commute to work. Here in Vancouver, the average house cost is 1.27 million. Ya, I'm afraid I can't swing that, lol.

But, if I lived far enough out of the city to where I could afford a house, I couldn't afford the cost of fuel and vehicle maintenance required for a daily 100+ mile journey either! :eek: :(

Where I work average rent for a 3 bedroom apartment is $2400 a month. Where I live I'm paying $850 a month for a 3 bedroom house with a beautiful front yard and very large back yard. And on my bike it costs me $6 dollars a day in gas, even with California's crazy high gas tax[emoji36] That wouldn't bother me if I roads weren't the worst in the country

Last edited:
I bought my 2013 NC700x in June of 2014 and as of Friday, It has a little over 51,000 miles on it. I commute 130 miles a day back and forth to Macon 5 days a week, rain or shine, hot or cold.

I replace rear tires and chain and sprockets every 10,000 miles. I'm on the third front tire and second set of rear pads. Both sets are due to be changed very soon. I do all of the maintenance myself including tire changes.

Fuel mileage during the winter is low to mid 50's and during the summer climbs to mid 60's. I have had to change the rear brake light switch and nothing else besides routine maintenance. A couple of the valves will be a little tight on occasion, but nothing major.

Sounds good, I also do all the maintenance myself but I haven't gotten to the point of changing the tire off myself. I've never even heard of balancing beads before. I get my tires mounted and have them put that slime stuff to balance and plug a puncture.

I got my Nc brand new off the show room floor. It now has over 20,000 miles on it. The motorcycle is excellent at doing what it was designed to do. I have done a iron butt ride on mine a 2300 mile trip in just over 2 1/2 days and a 900 mile trip in a day in a half and am planning a trip to San Diego and back this summer . I also commute every day on it its smooth comfortable and I have loads of storage. I just don't think there is another motorcycle that can fully replace this motorcycle in many areas. The motorcycle is really easy to maintain. Just did the valves not to long ago and in comparison to my buddy that rides a fz1 took only 45 minutes and I was all buttoned up ready to ride his ended up turning into a all weekend job. I am always up over 70 mpg as well.

28,000 flawless miles on the 2014 XDE so far. It's now playing second to the Tiger Xcx so probably won't roll the odometer over quite so fast. Still, it's my favorite for local rides.

Back