• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2013 nc700xd vs 2015?

Ice

Reaction score
Visit site
I have my heart set on the NC700 with DCT. Problem is... I want the Silver one, which only available with 2012-2013 models. There are a couple dealers in northwest (NY, MA) that still have some left, but I really don't want to deal with the hassle of shipping and transferring to Texas. So a couple questions I have is:

1) What's the difference between 2013 and 2015 NC700XD? Mechanically and cosmetically? Any insight into the upcoming 2016?
2) Can the plastic body parts be swapped between 2013 and 2015 models? I think this would be the most economical way with least hassle to get the bike in the color I want. Thoughts?

Appreciate your help!

Edit: Fixed the color to avoid confusion

Last edited:
To my knowledge there have only been SILVER, RED, AND BLACK NC700X's available legally through dealers in the United States. I would have purchased a WHITE one whenever it had been available.
For WHITE, you had better go for a repaint job or a plastic swap.

In the USA, only grey black and red have been offered through 2015. No white.

As for 2015 vs the 2013, the 2015 will have a few more dashboard gimmicks to play with, but if the 2015 comes with Trailmax tire they will wear out very fast. Engine is painted black on 2015 instead of the grey on the 2013. The 2013 is the only model year that had no recalls. The brakes are not linked on the 2015 like on the 2013.

Last edited:
What does this mean to me and my 2015 DCT? - "brakes are not linked on the 2015 like on the 2013"

Most importantly, it means the front brake pads are a lot less expensive.

I'll leave the detailed explanation to someone else since I don't own either ABS version and my knowledge on the brake system differences is limited.

Last edited:
I too wanted silver. A few months ago I found a new 2013 DCT in Arkansas for $5700.
Too hot out to ride, so I pulled my trailer up there and brought er home.
Ez peazy...there are deals out there with little effort.

What does this mean to me and my 2015 DCT? - "brakes are not linked on the 2015 like on the 2013"

This is getting more interesting now. I was under impression that from 2014 NC700XD gets new "Electronically Controlled Combined ABS" as described here:

" Electronically Controlled Combined ABS allows riders to apply precise rear-wheel braking with the foot pedal. Application of the rear brake does not result in immediate front brake activation unless rear-wheel lockup is sensed, allowing an experienced rider to use the rear brake like a traditional non-linked unit during spirited riding such as track days for outstanding speed, suspension and steering control."

Honda Worldwide | Motorcycle Picture Book | Electronically Controlled Combined ABS

But really I didn't see any confirmation from owners of 2014-15 that this is true for NC. It's not easy to test this functionality, for me at least. Using only rear brake and try to lock up rear wheel so ABS could start and send some pressure to front wheel. I guess on dry surface is difficult to lock rear wheel with those very weak brakes, and I'm not going to test anything on wet surface. When speed drops below 6 mph ABS doesn't work.
Does anybody notice this function?

The key word here is "like". They may both be linked, but using a different method.

The ABS 2012-2013 models ran a second hose to the front caliper for the rear brake pedal to act upon a center, third piston in the three piston front caliper. For 2014-2015 the front caliper is the two pot version with one hose.

"Unlike" the 2012-2013, the 2014-2015 may use some wizardry in the ABS module to simulate that linking action. That's where my knowledge of the system ends. I'm sure it's all in the 2014 service manual, but I don't own that rev of the manual.

G
This is getting more interesting now. I was under impression that from 2014 NC700XD gets new "Electronically Controlled Combined ABS" as described here:

" Electronically Controlled Combined ABS allows riders to apply precise rear-wheel braking with the foot pedal. Application of the rear brake does not result in immediate front brake activation unless rear-wheel lockup is sensed, allowing an experienced rider to use the rear brake like a traditional non-linked unit during spirited riding such as track days for outstanding speed, suspension and steering control."

Honda Worldwide | Motorcycle Picture Book | Electronically Controlled Combined ABS

But really I didn't see any confirmation from owners of 2014-15 that this is true for NC. It's not easy to test this functionality, for me at least. Using only rear brake and try to lock up rear wheel so ABS could start and send some pressure to front wheel. I guess on dry surface is difficult to lock rear wheel with those very weak brakes, and I'm not going to test anything on wet surface. When speed drops below 6 mph ABS doesn't work.
Does anybody notice this function?
The 2014 - 15 NC700X does not have linked brakes. The only 2015 Honda motorcycle sold in the USA with Electronically Controlled Combined Brakes is the CBR1000RR. This I deduced from a careful comparison of brake specifications on the Honda web site. Honda's ECC ABS system has been available maybe 5 or 6 years on 600 and 1000 cc super sport bikes sold in other markets.

On the linked brake bikes application of the rear brake pedal also applies some amount of front brake. The rear brake is linked to the front hydraulically. The front brake is not linked to the rear if I understand it correctly. It was sold as Combined ABS and a decal on the front fender signifies the bike is so equipped. In the USA the C-ABS only came on DCT bikes.

On the 2014-15 bikes this feature was deleted. Rear brake and front brake are entirely separate.

My understanding is (according to MSF BRC manual, my disclaimer, as I am by no means a mechanic) Linked brakes - no matter which brake you use, you also get some of the other. Integrated - front is front only and rear brake gives you some front.

Place your right heel on the rear brake pedal and stand up/press down so that all your weight presses down on the lever. If you're going about 30 m.p.h. or higher I'm sure you will activate the front and ABS.

Place your right heel on the rear brake pedal and stand up/press down so that all your weight presses down on the lever. If you're going about 30 m.p.h. or higher I'm sure you will activate the front and ABS.

That would mean there is Combined (Linked) ABS in NCXD 2015.
Did you try it?

On the linked brake bikes application of the rear brake pedal also applies some amount of front brake. The rear brake is linked to the front hydraulically. The front brake is not linked to the rear if I understand it correctly. It was sold as Combined ABS and a decal on the front fender signifies the bike is so equipped. In the USA the C-ABS only came on DCT bikes.

On the 2014-15 bikes this feature was deleted. Rear brake and front brake are entirely separate.

So I should brake no different than my other non-abs bikes letting abs do its job by not letting me lock up the brakes in a panic situation?

Answering the OP's other question: Yes, the plastics are entirely interchangable between 2013 and 2015.

I would have gladly given you all my grey parts in exchange for red, but it's too late now since I painted my grey one burnt orange.

No word yet on 2016.

Last edited:
So I should brake no different than my other non-abs bikes letting abs do its job by not letting me lock up the brakes in a panic situation?
Yes of course. As you know ABS does not replace proper braking techniques which train maximum braking without thinking. Still practice threshold braking. ABS is a safety net.

Answering the OP's other question: Yes, the plastics are entirely interchangable between 2013 and 2015.

I would have gladly given you all my grey parts in exchange for red, but it's too late now since I painted my grey one burnt orange.

No word yet on 2016.
I read this week that UK and EC are getting a refreshed 2016 NC750X with some styling changes. It did not mention any mechanical changes.

I am in thailand and can only get the NC 750 x in Red, White and Silver. Cannot decide which color I like the best?
Its a christmas present to myself!(misses doesn't like the red??)

Back