• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2018: What did you do to/with your NC700 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends on your definition of "winterize" :p

I got it into the tarp shed a couple days after that photo. It is absolutely shocking how poor the traction is with the Shinko 805 on packed snow.

The chain is fine by the way, you can straighten the links with one finger and they are well oiled.

The big lakes are freezing over, it's almost time to get the ice shack out :)

Depends on your definition of "winterize" [emoji14]

I got it into the tarp shed a couple days after that photo. It is absolutely shocking how poor the traction is with the Shinko 805 on packed snow.

The chain is fine by the way, you can straighten the links with one finger and they are well oiled.

The big lakes are freezing over, it's almost time to get the ice shack out :)
Already!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Spent all afternoon cleaning out the garage. Then put the pop-up camper in, then the bikes. I put the covers on and plugged in the battery tender for the winter hibernation.

JT

Today, having just got the bike.... I just rode it!

Great riding there. Stayed in Dahlonega one night last year. Next morning went up to Suches, headed NW on Route 60 and eventually crossed into Tennessee. I liked that ride, and many of the roads in that part of Georgia more than Tail of the Dragon.

I hate that. I am sure this will get some debate but my technique of late has been to put myself in a more visible position by using the 'right-hand' portion of the lane so I am more completely aligned with his driver-side mirror. I feel that (in this situation) using the left portion of the lane puts me deeper into his 'blind spot' AND I NEVER STAY IN A CAR's BLIND SPOT for ANY length of time.

This would probably be a good topic in a different part of the forum.
ymmv
>Thom

Commuted to work in the dark and commuted home in the dark... Sunrise 7:18 Sunset 4:35....... Man, I miss the long days of summer!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Still love this bike, though.
>Thom

Commuted to work in the dark and commuted home in the dark... Sunrise 7:18 Sunset 4:35....... Man, I miss the long days of summer!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Still love this bike, though.
>Thom

I’m lucky to have large windows in my office. Otherwise, I would only see the sun on Saturday and Sunday during the winter.

JT

I hate that. I am sure this will get some debate but my technique of late has been to put myself in a more visible position by using the 'right-hand' portion of the lane so I am more completely aligned with his driver-side mirror. I feel that (in this situation) using the left portion of the lane puts me deeper into his 'blind spot' AND I NEVER STAY IN A CAR's BLIND SPOT for ANY length of time.

This would probably be a good topic in a different part of the forum.
ymmv
>Thom
Yes, I do the same thing using the same logic. I avoid blind spots. Use the rule if I can see them in the mirror then they can see me. Used the video to teach my 12 year old about blind spots and scanning and looking ahead for potentially problems. Said MC could have sped up to be out of the blind spot or slowed down to make room for the van to come over.

Yes, I do the same thing using the same logic. I avoid blind spots. Use the rule if I can see them in the mirror then they can see me. Used the video to teach my 12 year old about blind spots and scanning and looking ahead for potentially problems. Said MC could have sped up to be out of the blind spot or slowed down to make room for the van to come over.

As soon as I realized we (the left lane) were passing to get around the big truck struggling up the hill, I was on the watch for it. I was as close to the car in front of me as I felt comfortable and didn't see enough room to pass the white van and still leave a safe distance from that car. If the van had kept coming over he wouldn't have hit me, he would have been very very close though.

In other words, if you watch the video closely you'll notice I am holding back just behind the van's horizontal plane until there is enough room in front of me to punch it and pass him quickly. It all sort of happens at once though, and the van did as I suspected he might.

The Denali SoundBomb horn is mounted on the right side of the bike so he got it direct.

I think I subconsciously bias left in the lane when passing under those circumstances to give me time/room in case someone does decide to come over.

Last edited:
I think I subconsciously bias left in the lane when passing under those circumstances to give me time/room in case someone does decide to come over.

Yes, it looked like you had the situation under control (spacing, awareness) as there was no real bobble or panic on your part and you were far enough behind him to avoid contact.

The different biases are the interesting part of the scenario... Bias left for space/time or bias right for visibility??? It would not be difficult to argue either side. Either way, the real key is to NOT be in a spot where he can blindly run you off the road....
Be safe.
>T

As soon as I realized we (the left lane) were passing to get around the big truck struggling up the hill, I was on the watch for it. I was as close to the car in front of me as I felt comfortable and didn't see enough room to pass the white van and still leave a safe distance from that car. If the van had kept coming over he wouldn't have hit me, he would have been very very close though.

In other words, if you watch the video closely you'll notice I am holding back just behind the van's horizontal plane until there is enough room in front of me to punch it and pass him quickly. It all sort of happens at once though, and the van did as I suspected he might.

The Denali SoundBomb horn is mounted on the right side of the bike so he got it direct.

Yeah, I saw that you were expecting it and held back enough to avoid problems. I discussed that too. I was just telling him how I handle it. I emphasized the most important fact. Be aware of the constantly changing environment around you by scanning ahead and checking mirrors frequently and playing out what if and then scenarios in your head. Multiple ways of handling things.

I have heard the sound bomb at a convention center at Chicago MC Show... anyone know of a louder horn? Think they are around 120 to 130 decibels.

XX

Last edited:
I rode to Joplin yesterday to pick up a part for my Goldwing. Stopped at Decades of Wheels, a new auto and motorcycle museum in Baxter Springs, Kansas. It is not fully open, but the restaurant is.

Today I worked on the handguards. I had lowered them by rotating them down for summer and needed to rotate them back up. It required a good deal of moving stuff around on the right side.

Got in about 150 miles, mix of country roads, gravel.

saw a Delorean pass going the other way. That doesn't happen often.

Rode to work again today. Twice in a week yoohoo. Was 39 here this morning but a short ride. Almost 70 on the way home with a #1 sunset.

Oil change and new chain....
9709b9071c2ff314a87a4381949c631a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back