• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2018: What did you do to/with your NC700 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got back from a 5 day 1900 mile trip to Maine. I've been dealing with a vibration, decided to pull the front sprocket cover off. In doing so, i found a rock had wedged itself in there. About to take a test ride and see if removing the rock fixed the issue. If not then i probably need a new chain/sprocket.

Fleet Week in NYC

Taking the NC down to the Lower East Side for sightseeing and cheap pizza. Temperature in the high 80s. Dress whites are gonna be out and about all weekend...

20180526_121629.jpg
20180526_123437.jpg

Last edited:
Finally got around to spend some time with the NC. Did the oil change. Replaced a Fenda extenda. Then started experimenting with replacing my Madstad with a Vstream to address handguards contact with the windshield.

Pullled the Madstand off, put the Vstream touring on. It looks pretty solidly made. sturdy mount. And YES it does clear my cheap ebay handguards. I have some Givi ones to try next, but I am sure if the ebay ones clear I am golden.

Took it for a ride... Double vision, lots of buffeting. Experimented sliding forward toward the tank and back to the rear of the seat where I like to sit. Slide forward and the buffeting decreases, slide back and double vision again. So not happy with that even thought the windshield is the correct size and just below my line of sight.

So I got back and I had purchased one of those clip on deflectors on ebay to add to the Vstream. Right out of the gate no instructions and a real pain in the butt to put together and mound. Then next it marred the top of the new Vstream where it mounted. I am more than a little mad. Then the next strike against this is that it sits several inches above the Vstream. The Vstream is the correct height so now I am stuck looking through the lip deflector.

I took it for a ride and the double vision is gone and it is much quieter, but I am looking through the deflector. It needs to be cut in half in order for this to have a chance to work. I don't have the tools to do the job so maybe I can find someone who can cut it for me. Or for the cost of the thing maybe they sell another complete unit that is already the right size.

So the Vstream helps with the bars contact issue with handguards but creates new problems. Tons more projects waiting in my NC project box here. Hopefully I will get some more time to work on it.

Finally got around to spend some time with the NC. Did the oil change. Replaced a Fenda extenda. Then started experimenting with replacing my Madstad with a Vstream to address handguards contact with the windshield.

Pullled the Madstand off, put the Vstream touring on. It looks pretty solidly made. sturdy mount. And YES it does clear my cheap ebay handguards. I have some Givi ones to try next, but I am sure if the ebay ones clear I am golden.

Took it for a ride... Double vision, lots of buffeting. Experimented sliding forward toward the tank and back to the rear of the seat where I like to sit. Slide forward and the buffeting decreases, slide back and double vision again. So not happy with that even thought the windshield is the correct size and just below my line of sight.

So I got back and I had purchased one of those clip on deflectors on ebay to add to the Vstream. Right out of the gate no instructions and a real pain in the butt to put together and mound. Then next it marred the top of the new Vstream where it mounted. I am more than a little mad. Then the next strike against this is that it sits several inches above the Vstream. The Vstream is the correct height so now I am stuck looking through the lip deflector.

I took it for a ride and the double vision is gone and it is much quieter, but I am looking through the deflector. It needs to be cut in half in order for this to have a chance to work. I don't have the tools to do the job so maybe I can find someone who can cut it for me. Or for the cost of the thing maybe they sell another complete unit that is already the right size.

So the Vstream helps with the bars contact issue with handguards but creates new problems. Tons more projects waiting in my NC project box here. Hopefully I will get some more time to work on it.

I'm not sure all of the steps you've taken to address your buffeting, but it sounds like your chasing it down rabbit trails now. It may be helpful to reset to zero and start again. I would suggest taking everything off (windshield, deflectors, hand guards, mirrors, etc..) and going for a ride. This should result in no buffeting and give you a good baseline to start isolating your problems. You can then start adding items, riding, and analyzing the results. Once you know what each item does individually, you can start with different combinations to see those results.

Fixing buffeting can be a ***** and the solutions tend to be individual. I fixed mine with a set of cheap Chinese mirror extenders and cutting the stock screen down 2 inches. It took a lot of experimentation to get there though.

Good luck

That's the real rub here is that with the Madstad I can position the windshield in a way that buffeting is pretty tame, but in that position the handguards make contact with the windshield. So that was driving me crazy. I read the report here that the Vstream would address the handguards contact issue. Which it did, but now we have introduced some buffeting. It appears for the Vstream to work I need to be sitting fairly close to the windshield to get inside that protective bubble which is not where I usually sit. The deflector just sits up too high so that would need to be cut in half almost to get it back down to a place that I could see over it. So the Vstream setup I don't think is going to work unless I can get the deflector modified and working in a lower position. I might be able to drill holes further up on the deflector plexiglas to move it down enough that it wouldn't be in the way. I should probably give that a shot next before I tear this all apart again and look at putting the Madstad back in place.

So I will go back out and fiddle with the bike some more and see where that gets me.

Waxed the bike for the fist time today, trying to bring a little more life into the color. Came out super glossy so I'm happy.

Just curious who waxes their bike and concern for long term clear coat loss or wear?

Waxed the bike for the fist time today, trying to bring a little more life into the color. Came out super glossy so I'm happy.

Just curious who waxes their bike and concern for long term clear coat loss or wear?
Look up Top coat F-11. It even makes getting the bugs off much easier. But if you have stick on wheel weights don't put it on your rims because I couldn't get my weights to stick after I did

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Look up Top coat F-11. It even makes getting the bugs off much easier. But if you have stick on wheel weights don't put it on your rims because I couldn't get my weights to stick after I did

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I knew a guy that rode his bike for main transportation. He used Armor All (1980s) on most of the bike and wiped it off. It always looked showroom clean. And he did not go through a lot of bikes. Just miles.

Well I drilled more holes in my clip on wind deflector on the Vstream today. Topped up the coolant, and added the Jijima crash bars today. Not sure how I feel about the crash bars, probably will be fine in a parking lot tipover or very slow speed nap, but other than that I wouldn't expect them to hold up in a at speed laydown.

Test ride with the redrilled deflector and it is better than before in that I can see over it, but still some buffeting. But really high winds today so I will take it out for a few more rides before I make a decision to make more changes to the windshield and deflector.

Maybe tomorrow I will get a chance to work on the hand guards waiting for me in the project box.

Note: I installed the Honda ducts/vents on my bike late last year and didn't get much time to ride it. This year the few test ride on the bike I notice a lot of heat pouring out of these ducts, especially on the right side. Would probably be nice in the winter and cooler months, but during the summer heat you can feel it. I don't recall feeling the heat before I put the ducts on so I thought I would mention it for anyone considering adding these ducts/vents to their bike.

Last edited:
I ride my bike, I don't wash it. 43k miles on her though.

So the rock wasn't the issue. Chain slack was about 5mm past the max so I tightened that up. Still not 100% but 98%. Either way, looks like the chain and sprockets are good for a little longer.

Memorial Day, rode with spousal unit on back to family graves. Reminder to enjoy life while you can.
Even two up got excellent gas mileage.

My first shake down ride. I put miles 21 to 45 on it running to the Walmart that's 2 miles away:D

After all the research I did on this bike to make sure that I will feel good about riding on the freeway, I was pleasantly surprised to see how few rpm's it turns at 65.

I am actually looking forward to rush hour traffic tomorrow...

...and a little afraid.

Welcome to the ride NC! I lived just north of Tucson for about 8 years and commuted into the city every day. I wish i would have had the NC700x then. Enjoy the many Smiles per gallon and a hearty welcome from Northern Idaho! :{)

SO the 17T is in and installed!! I also installed a few other things while i was there and had a bunch of stuff apart. I installed the 17T, the new MoTech Skid plate, and the new Highway pegs. I was not able to get out and ride this Memorial weekend, but time well spent with the family. So, I did take it for a quick spin and liked the new pegs. That'll come in real handy for longer rides. Later this week i'll get out and ride and update with any results from the new 17T! :{)

I think you're supposed to keep it upright with the tires on the ground. [emoji11][emoji16]

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Went for a 500 mile overnight camping trip with my buddy. Did some adventuring, some 2 tracks, a lot of dirt roads.
SpotWalla.com - Trip Viewer
View attachment 36411

Sand...why did it have to be sand!

Our NC’s front wheel just plows deep into sand, then you’re just as predictable as the Laugh-In tricycle rider and going over. Nothing to do about it except avoiding anything soft (sand, fine dirt, gravel) like the plague.

Ray

Sand...why did it have to be sand!

Our NC’s front wheel just plows deep into sand, then you’re just as predictable as the Laugh-In tricycle rider and going over. Nothing to do about it except avoiding anything soft (sand, fine dirt, gravel) like the plague.

Ray

That's the bad part about seasonal roads. Sometimes it's a 2 track with ruts, but solid. Then you turn a corner and deep soft sand. I'd do it again though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back