• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2021: What did you do to/with your NC700/NC750 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not since I was a teenager have I replaced or modified a motorcycle exhaust. I like a quiet motorcycle. My 2013 came with a carbon Leo Vince slip-on still in the box and I installed it before a short ride yesterday. It's a little louder but not much and really only louder under acceleration. I'll leave it on a while and see. I will have to fabricate a small extension to bolt onto the stop that the rubber bumper on the center stand strikes when the stand is up. As it is now the bumper is barely resting against the muffler's center stand stop.

Last edited:
I've dropped my motorcycle exactly twice.

Today was a day.

View attachment 46319

The lovely Mrs Bob and I went for a ride to the north side of the next county. Total ride was under 100 miles. We were coming back via a rural path and got to an intersection with a T-Intersection with stop sign on the top of a hill with a compound slope going across the road and also down the hill we had just come up. I was leading, came to the stop, turned right onto the next road, with an immediate slope down. She was seconds behind, came to the stop and had to make a full stop due to cross traffic. The odd slope and the next thing I heard through the Cardo headset was "S#!% I dropped my bike"

Ok, I was literally 100 yards away, I see a driveway after a bridge that I am coming to so I turn into the drive. It is very narrow, downward slope and about 20' long paved in asphalt, then switches to sand and gravel. Next to it is a strip of grass. Next to that is sand/gravel down to the river. Thought it through and figured I could make a U-Turn. Well nope. I made about 3/4ths of that U turn but when my rear tire hit the sand the bike went down with a thump.

So damn ... My bike is down on a sandy slope. Her bike is 150 yards away down on an asphalt slope. It was a little struggle but I got it up and onto the kickstand. Quick inspection then I and was heading back toward the lovely Mrs Bob to rescue her.

Get back to her, park. Of course she heard all my grief through her headset. So she is freaked because she always assumes I'm going to kill myself. I assure her I am fine. She says she wants to pick up her own bike but wants me to "spot" her and remind her of the technique. So I remind her to put her kickstand down. Then squat next to the bike. Apply the rear brake. Grab the seat rail. And push with her legs. Bike goes up most of the way. I'm standing behind the rear wheel, grab the passenger seat rails and help steady the bike.

Didn't feel anything, no twinge in my back, nothing. Both bikes are up, no worse for the wear. We proceed home. Probably 35 to 40 minutes away.

Got home, got off the bike, still feeling fine. Watered some potted plants and all of a sudden I couldn't move. Lower back is screaming in pain. Pain pill about 3pm. Looking forward to a muscle relaxer just before sliding into bed. I'm coaching an advanced saber fencing class on Thursday evening, it needs to be better by that time. Other than that I think I can rest most of the rest of the time.

Photo was taken about 30 minutes before the double bike drop just before we headed back toward home. One of the most event filled short rides I've ever taken . . . not in a good way.
Sorry to hear about the back spasm. Man that hurts when I have had them.

Today was a day.

View attachment 46319

The lovely Mrs Bob and I went for a ride to the north side of the next county. Total ride was under 100 miles. We were coming back via a rural path and got to an intersection with a T-Intersection with stop sign on the top of a hill with a compound slope going across the road and also down the hill we had just come up. I was leading, came to the stop, turned right onto the next road, with an immediate slope down. She was seconds behind, came to the stop and had to make a full stop due to cross traffic. The odd slope and the next thing I heard through the Cardo headset was "S#!% I dropped my bike"

Ok, I was literally 100 yards away, I see a driveway after a bridge that I am coming to so I turn into the drive. It is very narrow, downward slope and about 20' long paved in asphalt, then switches to sand and gravel. Next to it is a strip of grass. Next to that is sand/gravel down to the river. Thought it through and figured I could make a U-Turn. Well nope. I made about 3/4ths of that U turn but when my rear tire hit the sand the bike went down with a thump.

So damn ... My bike is down on a sandy slope. Her bike is 150 yards away down on an asphalt slope. It was a little struggle but I got it up and onto the kickstand. Quick inspection then I and was heading back toward the lovely Mrs Bob to rescue her.

Get back to her, park. Of course she heard all my grief through her headset. So she is freaked because she always assumes I'm going to kill myself. I assure her I am fine. She says she wants to pick up her own bike but wants me to "spot" her and remind her of the technique. So I remind her to put her kickstand down. Then squat next to the bike. Apply the rear brake. Grab the seat rail. And push with her legs. Bike goes up most of the way. I'm standing behind the rear wheel, grab the passenger seat rails and help steady the bike.

Didn't feel anything, no twinge in my back, nothing. Both bikes are up, no worse for the wear. We proceed home. Probably 35 to 40 minutes away.

Got home, got off the bike, still feeling fine. Watered some potted plants and all of a sudden I couldn't move. Lower back is screaming in pain. Pain pill about 3pm. Looking forward to a muscle relaxer just before sliding into bed. I'm coaching an advanced saber fencing class on Thursday evening, it needs to be better by that time. Other than that I think I can rest most of the rest of the time.

Photo was taken about 30 minutes before the double bike drop just before we headed back toward home. One of the most event filled short rides I've ever taken . . . not in a good way.
Sorry to hear about your troubles. It sounds like some really tricky roadways that would have been unpleasant even in a car. Your post reminds me of all the claims I see or hear about motorcycles that have "never been dropped." When I come across that phrase, my first thought is "Yeah, and never been ridden much either!" I am a firm believer that "never been dropped" is either a garage queen that has been seldom ridden, and even then on straight, level roads, and parked on level concrete pads free of gravel or water; or a wishful fabrication that considers a "drop" to be a crash at speed above slow maneuvers. Bummer of a day, but real, honest, and actually a good learning piece for your fellow riders. Compound slopes, gravel, and sand can be tricky no matter what the rider's level of experience. Thanks for sharing.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. It sounds like some really tricky roadways that would have been unpleasant even in a car. Your post reminds me of all the claims I see or hear about motorcycles that have "never been dropped." When I come across that phrase, my first thought is "Yeah, and never been ridden much either!" I am a firm believer that "never been dropped" is either a garage queen that has been seldom ridden, and even then on straight, level roads, and parked on level concrete pads free of gravel or water; or a wishful fabrication that considers a "drop" to be a crash at speed above slow maneuvers. Bummer of a day, but real, honest, and actually a good learning piece for your fellow riders. Compound slopes, gravel, and sand can be tricky no matter what the rider's level of experience. Thanks for sharing.
Bummer melensdad. the drops and the strain.

My wife and I once pulled into a local restaurant and were climbing off the bikes. I had my back to her. All of a sudden in my intercom I hear "Uh, I dropped my bike", in a surprisingly calm voice. I turn around and she's laying under her 400 Majesty lol. No panic in her voice at all. She forgot to put the sidestand down when she got off and tried to catch it and just went down with it.

I've owned 31 bikes. Dropped four of them. XS 650 with wife on back, VF1100S with wife on back and BMW R 1200R with wife on back lol. My ST 1300 I rode for 110,000 miles without it hitting the ground. My FJR lasted 6 weeks before a zero mph drop (turning around in a gravel parking lot) and broke my arm. At least that time my wife wasn't on the back. lol

Back strains take a lot of time to heal, and you have to be really careful once it has, as once you've had one, the next one comes a lot easier. I absolutely will not lift something heavy by myself unless there is no other choice and it absolutely has to be lifted at that time..

Bummer melensdad. the drops and the strain.

I've owned 31 bikes. Dropped four of them.

Back strains take a lot of time to heal, and you have to be really careful once it has, as once you've had one, the next one comes a lot easier. I absolutely will not lift something heavy by myself unless there is no other choice and it absolutely has to be lifted at that time..
I've skidded one on its side in a parking lot, doing stupid stuff. I don't consider that a "drop" because really it was a 1 vehicle accident/fall. Fortunately no major damage to anything other than my pride.

I've had one fall off a ramp, but that involved multiple people and no clear leader.

But at a stop or a slow speed maneuver like a U-turn if the bike goes down I consider that a 'drop' so this was my 2nd 'drop' for this bike.

My wife is the family member with back issues. I grew up working in a warehouse, I know the right way to lift things and generally use proper techniques. I presume that the strain, was a combination of lifting mine on the sandy slope, then assisting with hers and possibly even the watering of the plants? I dunno.

I need to be upright and not screaming in pain by Thursday. I am the only coach who teaches the class on Thursday evening so I need to be there. Nothing on my schedule this week should cause me any grief. I've got some driving, but that shouldn't be an issue? Quick round trip to Chicago mid-day tomorrow then Notre Dame on Thursday morning and back in the afternoon. Chicago will be a 2.5 hour round trip. N.D. is about a 90 minute drive, I'll be on campus for 2+ hours, a total trip under 6 hours. No lifting required for either trip.

No lawn work needed this week. Refilled the water softener with salt last week. The way I feel this morning I doubt I will even unload the dishwasher for a couple days either. Oh and if anyone asks, the Michelin Road 5 tire is not a good choice for sand dunes :oops:

Not since I was a teenager have I replaced or modified a motorcycle exhaust. I like a quiet motorcycle. My 2013 came with a carbon Leo Vince slip-on still in the box and I installed it before a short ride yesterday. It's a little louder but not much and really only louder under acceleration. I'll leave it on a while and see. I will have to fabricate a small extension to bolt onto the stop that the rubber bumper on the center stand strikes when the stand is up. As it is now the bumper is barely resting against the muffler's center stand stop.
Does your Leo Vince have the dB Killer installed or removed?
I had a Leo Vince on a Honda Silverwing 600 scooter.
I liked the sound with the dB Killer in.
Removed, it sounded just awful.
On my NC, I've got the Delkevic baffle removed.
With it in, the exhaust doesn't sound much different than with the stock factory muffler.
But out, it has a deeper resonance without being raspy or annoying like an HD Sportser with Cobra shotguns. Ouch!

Dave I don't disagree with you but it is the government bodies don't want helmets too quite. People who don't like it should bitch about the .gov regulations that prevent helmets that are 'too quiet'
What is the testing standard for helmet noise and what is the minimum level of noise that is permitted?

In my state there is no restriction on a driver's license for hearing loss, that I know of. Deaf people, those with hearing impairments, as well as normal hearing people are allowed to ride motorcycles, AFAIK. I don't know of any established standards in my state for a rider having ability to hear emergency vehicles, cars, loud pipes, etc. So on that note, I don't see how regulating helmet noise attention makes any sense.

Does your Leo Vince have the dB Killer installed or removed?
I had a Leo Vince on a Honda Silverwing 600 scooter.
I liked the sound with the dB Killer in.
Removed, it sounded just awful.
On my NC, I've got the Delkevic baffle removed.
With it in, the exhaust doesn't sound much different than with the stock factory muffler.
But out, it has a deeper resonance without being raspy or annoying like an HD Sportser with Cobra shotguns. Ouch!
I'm guessing that the dB killer is in place. The volume is not much more than stock as it is. It did not have the installation instructions but from the LV web site I found some to look at and I observe a tubular insert about 5-6" long in the outlet end of the exhaust that looks like it has a threaded screw holding it in place. Pulling a rubber plug out of the underside of the silencer would allow access to the screw.

In the box was a metal disk with 5 or 6 holes in it. It may fit in the inlet end between the adapter pipe and the silencer. I don't plan on installing it.

What is the testing standard for helmet noise and what is the minimum level of noise that is permitted?

In my state there is no restriction on a driver's license for hearing loss... So on that note, I don't see how regulating helmet noise attention makes any sense.
It is a European thing. I don’t know the standard but in one of the newer articles comparing ECE 22.05 to the upcoming .06 in 2024 it was mentioned, sadly without giving and decibel deadening rating.

What makes sense to regulate is often lost on politicians and petty authoritarian bureaucrats.

Last week I was on vacation and I completed a nice 2000km loop inside my beautiful province of Québec! 4 days 3 nights. My butt is still a bit sore but the memories are sweet! Here are some pictures.

Attachments

• 20210816_081004_HDR.jpg
    20210816_081004_HDR.jpg
    631.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 20210816_081019_HDR.jpg
    20210816_081019_HDR.jpg
    708.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 20210816_111601_HDR.jpg
    20210816_111601_HDR.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 22
  • 20210816_135309.jpg
    20210816_135309.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 21
  • 20210816_163606_HDR.jpg
    20210816_163606_HDR.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
  • 20210817_123325.jpg
    20210817_123325.jpg
    682.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 20210818_091724_HDR.jpg
    20210818_091724_HDR.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 20
  • 20210818_180523_HDR.jpg
    20210818_180523_HDR.jpg
    370.8 KB · Views: 20
from the LV web site I found some to look at and I observe a tubular insert about 5-6" long in the outlet end of the exhaust that looks like it has a threaded screw holding it in place. Pulling a rubber plug out of the underside of the silencer would allow access to the screw.
That would be the dB Killer.

Today was a day.

View attachment 46319

Several years ago, I came home, parked my 1800VTX, thought the kickstand was down(it wasn't") & almost dropped the bike. My wife was there to help me catch it , otherwise it was going down. Would have been a bear to lift up.

Only time I ever dropped a bike was when I was 17, riding my Yamaha 180 street twin on a mud trail.
The mud was thick and wet, my speed slow, and I wasn't quite prepared for the bike to stop unexpectedly in the mud.
The bike just fell over once its momentum was lost, and it was too slippery for me to get my foot down in time, wearing sneakers.

Finally starting to address the seat issue. I am good for 2-3 hours on the stock seat, then the old tail bone starts to ache. I figured I would try the Air Hawk and see what good it does for me. If this doesn't help extend my riding time, I may have to invest in a custom seat. Can't say I like the look of it, but test sitting does feel ok. Wish me luck on the cheap fix!

Seat.jpg

Finally starting to address the seat issue. I am good for 2-3 hours on the stock seat, then the old tail bone starts to ache. I figured I would try the Air Hawk and see what good it does for me. If this doesn't help extend my riding time, I may have to invest in a custom seat. Can't say I like the look of it, but test sitting does feel ok. Wish me luck on the cheap fix!

View attachment 46353
Not sure if you have tried bicycle shorts with a gel insert. That helps me get more mileage out of the stock seat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back