• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2023: What did you do to/with your NC700/NC750 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Day 307.... Weather man said it was going to be the coldest morning since last February. He wasn't wrong it was nippy. Added my Cycle Gear freeze out base layer and Thinsulate boots for this morning's 45 mile ride. My toes got cold, everything else was fine lol.

FUeARcmh.jpg
Nope.

Next three days below 70, before a potential 80 next week. Nights in the high 40s.
I don't expect to see many bikes before it warms up for the week-end. Most SoCal riders are total wimps about the cold. People look at me weird if I ride on our (few) near-freezing mornings.
17F would cause a lot of heart attacks, before the actual ice on the roads take down the rest and the whole area tumbles into total chaos.
I understand the weird looks.

Kidding of course, but I don't like the cold. I did ride in ~50° temps yesterday and it was not nearly as bad as I recall. It was actually kind of nice after our last absolutely unbearably hot summer.

Last edited:
Lol if you dress for the cold, it just like riding in the warm. I enjoy the ride just as much at 40, 30, or 20 as I do at 70, 80 , or 90 especially if the roads are dry and the sun is shining. The roads are the same, the speeds the same, the angle of leans left and right are the same, braking is the same. The experience is exactly the same. You just have to dress properly for the temperature variables.

I agree (dress for the weather and the ride is still good). However, the issue is the wide fluctuations in weather. This I think is not an issue for everyone, but here, I may leave the house at 85F, head into the mountains and see 50 - 60F, and return home at 115F. In the winter, just shift all those temps downward by 30 - 40 degrees. It's still do-able, but such a pain to carry so much in the way of clothing, and change it twice or three times over the course of the ride, that I often just don't.

Lubed up the chain in prep for this weekend's rides, took delivery of a new rear tire (Michelen Road 5). and pushed the bike around in the garage. Had to move the NC to get the Can Am out so I could take the Can Am for a spin after adding fuel stabilizer. Two rides on the NC are planned for the weekend, weather permittng.

Did a quick 50 mile ride on the NC today, with temperature hovering around 50F and windy. Started raining just after I got home. Nothing too special; just nice to get out when I can this time of year.

I used to have 2 hobbies, bowhunting/bow building and motorcycling. Now at 73, I quit bowhunting/bow building a couple years ago, so the only hobby I have left is motorcycling. Without riding, I'd be reduced to watching Gunsmoke reruns on TV lol.

For me, my motorcycling habit is just like that of walkers, joggers, yoga people or gym people. I need to do it every day. The night before I watch the late news and start planning when I'm going to ride the following day due to weather conditions. Like today, last night they said it was going to start raining about 4 in the morning, quit about 1 pm this afternoon and start up again at 5 pm so I know I'm riding at 3 today. My wife and I make our plans around my daily rides..or... I fit my daily rides into our plans. If we are going on vacation, I ride the morning we are leaving and the evening after we return, so I don't miss 2 days of riding. On those rare days I can't ride, I'm like a caged animal pacing and staring out the front window towards the road lol.

That is absolutely spot on. I have tons of hobbies so plenty of other things for me to do when I don't want to ride, for whatever reason.
I’m that way. Motorcycling is an important hobby, but there are so many other activities I pursue that motorcycling time is limited. Today I’m modifying and installing inverters in my two RVs, for example. Then tomorrow and the next I’ll finish installing a new heat pump water heater in the house, splitting some camping firewood, and maybe changing the transmission fluid in the van. Oh, and the power steering issue on the utility tractor needs looking at. The boat winterizing is done, but there’re oil changes to do on the mowers. Maybe I’ll ride a motorcycle a few days from now, unless it’s a good day to rake leaves.

I’m that way. Motorcycling is an important hobby, but there are so many other activities I pursue that motorcycling time is limited. Today I’m modifying and installing inverters in my two RVs, for example. Then tomorrow and the next I’ll finish installing a new heat pump water heater in the house, splitting some camping firewood, and maybe changing the transmission fluid in the van. Oh, and the power steering issue on the utility tractor needs looking at. The boat winterizing is done, but there’re oil changes to do on the mowers. Maybe I’ll ride a motorcycle a few days from now, unless it’s a good day to rake leaves.
I’m also going to a heat pump for hot water. I’m really monitoring my electricity usage with the solar system and battery backup. Hot water heating is about 30% of total energy usage with only my wife and me in the house. It really drains the batteries during cool nights. Right now it looks like FPL will owe me about 400 bucks in January!

No boats anymore. We decided to go the boat club route. Not perfect but no maintenance or dock fees is a nice benefit.

I’m a hobby chef and have lots of buddies that live blocks from me ( one of my buddies from the Chicago PD built a house right behind me after we lost contact for years) and we have people over to eat and hang out a lot.

That said, if I need to use a four wheeled vehicle instead of a two wheeled vehicle it’s disappointing to a certain extent.

I have multiple hobbies too that keep me active when I can't ride. Trying to play my tuba, whittling caricatures and cooking with my wife.
I do ride ride year round but in the cool and cold months I ride when the weather and road conditions are suitable.
I am a founding member of "Team Weather Wuss Riding Club", established 1989.

Riding to have breakfast with the motorcycle club today.

Last edited:
I have multiple hobbies too that keep me active when I can't ride. Trying to play my tuba, whittling caricatures and cooking with my wife.
I do ride ride year round but in the cool and cold months I ride when the weather and road conditions are suitable.
I am a founding member of "Team Weather Wuss Riding Club", established 1989.

Riding to have breakfast with the motorcycle club today.
That group name is hysterical! Whittling caricatures sounds really cool! Are they gifts that you make or something for the two of you?

I used to have 2 hobbies, bowhunting/bow building and motorcycling. Now at 73, I quit bowhunting/bow building a couple years ago, so the only hobby I have left is motorcycling. Without riding, I'd be reduced to watching Gunsmoke reruns on TV lol.

For me, my motorcycling habit is just like that of walkers, joggers, yoga people or gym people. I need to do it every day. The night before I watch the late news and start planning when I'm going to ride the following day due to weather conditions. Like today, last night they said it was going to start raining about 4 in the morning, quit about 1 pm this afternoon and start up again at 5 pm so I know I'm riding at 3 today. My wife and I make our plans around my daily rides..or... I fit my daily rides into our plans. If we are going on vacation, I ride the morning we are leaving and the evening after we return, so I don't miss 2 days of riding. On those rare days I can't ride, I'm like a caged animal pacing and staring out the front window towards the road lol.
I was never a hunter but I used to be an archer. I am thinking about getting back into it and also distance shooting. Distance shooting will probably win out as my wife enjoys it as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back