• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2023: What did you do to/with your NC700/NC750 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took my X-Adv on a round trip of about 100km today. I had one purpose for the ride and that was to ride the bike over the roughest roads in my locality and take a fresh assessment of how it is handling them. The reason for that in turn is because the X-Adv has for the third time in my 6 years of ownership become at risk of being traded. It fended off the other two protagonists, but the current one is more of a risk to it.

I rode the new Transalp a couple of days ago and I liked it. I liked it a lot. What I liked most about it was its compliant suspension over the rough roads that I live on. It is considerably more compliant than my X-Adv despite my efforts to make that bike more compliant with a new shock and adjustments to the forks etc. However, no matter what adjustments I make I am always up against the two small wheels that the bike has as standard. They are 17" and 15" respectively and not ideal for roads that are bordering on offroad. Despite this I have lived with the bike for 6 years on these roads because I love its individuality and uniqueness. I have a strong bond with it and I know exactly how it will handle anything that it encounters on the road. I love the motor and the DCT etc etc. However there are times when those small wheels hammer my ageing carcass, and as I get older I am struggling a bit with that. The Transalp on the other hand was a joy to ride the other day over similar roads.

I now have to decide if the cost of trading is worth the difference in the suspension compliance. I tried to get a feel for that today and I came home thinking that I could probably continue to live with the X-Adv, but I am not sure. If I hadn't ridden the Transalp I would have continued without giving it a second thought other than to make a further adjustment to the forks that at best would make a slight difference.

Accordingly I will return to the shop on Tuesday and take out the Transalp again. I will ride both bikes back to back over the same route and make my mind up. The Transalp is a better motorcycle but nowhere near as characterful as the Scoot.

@Griff....you know the guys on the Transalp forum (I assume there is one) probably complain about the non-compliant suspension and get a new rear shock and fork kits for them (plus a seat and a windshield lol). Good luck with your decision. Transalp is a cool looking bike. Rumor has it the U S will get it as a 24 model.

Mrs Ferret and I went for a leisurely 43 mile after lunch ride. She followed me on her 300X Max and is starting to ride pretty well. 84 degrees, humid and cloudy. It was supposed to start thunder storming 1/2 hour ago, but so far nothing. I even snuck in cutting my grass.

I took my X-Adv on a round trip of about 100km today. I had one purpose for the ride and that was to ride the bike over the roughest roads in my locality and take a fresh assessment of how it is handling them. The reason for that in turn is because the X-Adv has for the third time in my 6 years of ownership become at risk of being traded. It fended off the other two protagonists, but the current one is more of a risk to it.

I rode the new Transalp a couple of days ago and I liked it. I liked it a lot. What I liked most about it was its compliant suspension over the rough roads that I live on. It is considerably more compliant than my X-Adv despite my efforts to make that bike more compliant with a new shock and adjustments to the forks etc. However, no matter what adjustments I make I am always up against the two small wheels that the bike has as standard. They are 17" and 15" respectively and not ideal for roads that are bordering on offroad. Despite this I have lived with the bike for 6 years on these roads because I love its individuality and uniqueness. I have a strong bond with it and I know exactly how it will handle anything that it encounters on the road. I love the motor and the DCT etc etc. However there are times when those small wheels hammer my ageing carcass, and as I get older I am struggling a bit with that. The Transalp on the other hand was a joy to ride the other day over similar roads.

I now have to decide if the cost of trading is worth the difference in the suspension compliance. I tried to get a feel for that today and I came home thinking that I could probably continue to live with the X-Adv, but I am not sure. If I hadn't ridden the Transalp I would have continued without giving it a second thought other than to make a further adjustment to the forks that at best would make a slight difference.

Accordingly I will return to the shop on Tuesday and take out the Transalp again. I will ride both bikes back to back over the same route and make my mind up. The Transalp is a better motorcycle but nowhere near as characterful as the Scoot.
I can say similar things comparing the BMW F850 GS to the NC750X. The NC is easier to ride and the handyness Frunk is irreplaceable . However, on ill-maintained roads that could frustrate a Land Rover driver the better suspension is more than appreciated.

@Griff....you know the guys on the Transalp forum (I assume there is one) probably complain about the non-compliant suspension and get a new rear shock and fork kits for them (plus a seat and a windshield lol). Good luck with your decision. Transalp is a cool looking bike. Rumor has it the U S will get it as a 24 model.

Mrs Ferret and I went for a leisurely 43 mile after lunch ride. She followed me on her 300X Max and is starting to ride pretty well. 84 degrees, humid and cloudy. It was supposed to start thunder storming 1/2 hour ago, but so far nothing. I even snuck in cutting my grass.

"..., but so far nothing. I even snuck in cutting my grass."

I should have known all along that you was an over achiever!

meanwhile, I’ve been riding other bikes - 5 other ones just in the past week. Total motorcycle miles this week was about 500.

Thats a consideration with owning a few bikes. Running them all regularly. I have four and each one has a purpose. My ideal number would be three. The other hassle is routine maintenance on them all and my pet hate, washing

Thats a consideration with owning a few bikes. Running them all regularly. I have four and each one has a purpose. My ideal number would be three. The other hassle is routine maintenance on them all and my pet hate, washing
Topping off battery charge and maintaining tire air pressure are the only timed based maintenance chores I do, so even with a seldom used bike, it‘s no hassle for me. The main thing is, I want to ride them all, so running them on a regular basis comes naturally. Between the wife and I, we’ve had as many as eight; we currently have seven and probably will for awhile.

Another 43 miler with Mrs Ferret on her X Max... 75 degrees and overcast with a couple of spots of very light sprinkles. The last 3 days have ridden 3 different routes in opposite directions, 1 north, 1 east and 1 west, and when I got home the mileages were 44, 43 and 43. Weird.

I had 6 motorcycles at one time and felt that was too many...something was always needing either gas, oil change or tires. I'm down to 3 now and something is always still needing gas, oil change or tires lol.

Turned over 30k during an 80+ miler with dirt farm roads, post a front tire change. Changed to a TKC-70 after putting 11k on a Shinko e705 the past 11-months. The Shinko had some more to give but I didn't like the way it was riding, increased vibration from some unusual wear - I'll call it reverse cupping of the center lugs, i.e., extruding dimples. Anyway, fitting that I hit the 30k in the middle of nowhere with nice view.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230704-112333.png
    Screenshot_20230704-112333.png
    1 MB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20230704-112418-269.png
    Screenshot_20230704-112418-269.png
    115.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20230702_191030702_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230702_191030702_HDR.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20230701_134343852_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230701_134343852_HDR.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
4th of July 59 mile ride with Mrs Ferret over to a local lake

yjntkBSh.jpg

Z0YBnf0h.jpg

ClaKh06h.jpg

eih2JJsh.jpg

Put a new side stand on my 2015. A few years of my “not dainty” hulk standing on the peg to mount the bike deformed it a bit, so on with a new one (and replaced the bolts, nut, and spring because, well, I was in there anyway). Nowadays I step through to mount (took some practice but doable). Then, of course, had to test drive it for 50-60 miles (in the heat).

Last edited:
Put a new side stand on my 2015. A few years of my “not dainty” hulk standing on the side stand to mount the bike deformed it a bit, so on with a new one (and replaced the bolts, nut, and spring because, well, I was in there anyway). Nowadays I step through to mount (took some practice but doable). Then, of course, had to test drive it for 50-60 miles (in the heat).
I don’t mount my NC standing on the left peg (I do on my CRF), however my NC sidestand was wobbly early in life. I had to file the slot parallel and add a shim washer to snug up the fit of the sidestand. Sloppy manufacturing or loose specs was possibly the root cause.

all'ya victims of the short inseam haha!!?? :{P

I rode another short 40 miles or so on the new-to-me RDL seat. Man it is so comfy, i love it! Thanks again David.

So i tried on my Kappa 40L touring luggage for the first time to make sure everything fit/mounted/rode comfortably before i try and take off for a few days on it and sure enough, the new muffler/cat delete pipe mounted just about 1cm too high and prevented the luggage box to fully engage into the mounts. So, as a good fabricator i try and be haha, i took the exhaust system loose and modified one of the hanger brackets and it was perfect.

NC700 exhaust clearance mod2.jpg

NC700 exhaust clearance mod.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back