• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2024 NC750X (DCT)?

It is my view that drivers in Europe and the UK are educated and disciplined to the rules of the road and accept the benefits motorcyclists enjoy in urban settings. Drivers over here are running the asylum and authorities have lost control in many jurisdictions. If riders could filter and lane split universally in the US safely I believe more motorcycles would be used for transportation instead of purely recreational use. As it is I never expected the NC to last this long in North America.
They can split safely in California.

I worked in the mc industry from '72 to '89, during the oil embargo years when you would have to wait in line to get gas. At that time I thought surely motorcycles would start being used as transportation as in Europe, rather than just as toys. As that obviously didnt happen, I came to realize Americans will never see motorcycles as transportation, whether there is lane splitting or not, even if motorcycles got their own lane. Americans are not by nature motorcyclists, but people who like to say they own motorcycles, whether they ride them or not. According to JD Power the average motorcyclist in this country rides less than 3000 miles per year. Americans dont like to get wet, or cold, or hot. They dont like being uncomfortable, and they want to carry lots of stuff, hence the popularity of pickups, mini vans and SUVs. Nope, motorcycles are toys here, always will be.

Btw I just read tonight that Suzuki is showing a hydrogen powered prototype at Eicma this year.

US has 49 other states. That’s why I said universally.
My point being that they can do it safely in California and yet still there are no hordes of folks taking up bikes as their only form of transportation. Despite having high gas prices and great weather. If it’s not happening there then I don’t see it happening anywhere else either. I don’t think lane splitting or anything else will generally change people’s minds that bikes are for fun cars are for work.

I think part of the reason bikes are not being used as commuters more often is the fuel economy of the bikes actually being sold and being advertised. Most of the people that I know who have bought bikes recently have bought big bikes (1000cc+), myself included. Our Can Am gets 36 mpg (US) where the last 4 cars/suvs bought by my family members all get 45+ mpg (US) in all weather conditions.

Right now I can't recall seeing a motorcycle ad on a major TV network. I recall seeing UTV ads on outdoor channels on the secondary networks. If motorcycle ads are out there I would bet you a cup of coffee that they are stressing big bikes, top end speed, 0 to 60 times, and how beautiful people will look on their big bikes. Bikes like our NC aren't advertised except in motorcycle publications.

Late addition: Other reasons for not riding more are fear of distracted drivers, self entitled drivers, and self navigating cars.

Last edited:
My point being that they can do it safely in California and yet still there are no hordes of folks taking up bikes as their only form of transportation. Despite having high gas prices and great weather. If it’s not happening there then I don’t see it happening anywhere else either. I don’t think lane splitting or anything else will generally change people’s minds that bikes are for fun cars are for work.
I should have worded one sentence differently to emphasize the point I was trying to make.

"If riders could safely filter and lane split universally in the US I believe more motorcycles would be used for transportation instead of purely recreational use".

There are too many disengaged drivers in the USA that think the danger of texting and driving applies to everybody else but them.... and speed limits are for suckers. After nearly half a million miles on two wheels I'm getting to where I rarely ride in urban traffic anymore. I used to ride to work a lot a decade or so ago but now it's a rare occasion.

I also more or less quit commuting on the bike a few years ago. I have weather (climate?) as an additional factor, but even in what I think is a relatively non-aggressive part of a huge American city, as far as drivers go, I just didn't want the risk and hassle.

Now I don't commute to work at all, so it's a moot point.
(-:

Honda is apparently planning on introducing E-clutch for some selected models. Add pneumatic piston on the gear lever and you have an automatic transmission with only small part of the weight and complications of DCT. Maybe next NC will go down that route.

Last edited:
Honda is apparently planning on introducing E-clutch for some selected models. Add pneumatic piston on the gear lever and you have an automatic transmission with only small part of the weight and complications of DCT. Maybe next NC will go down that route.
That would be nice having less complexity with hopefully the ability to continue on even if there is a minor failure. Where I think Honda went wrong with DCT is that it’s all or nothing. Either it works completely, or you walk home.

Honda is apparently planning on introducing E-clutch for some selected models. Add pneumatic piston on the gear lever and you have an automatic transmission with only small part of the weight and complications of DCT.

Lamborghini calls that an 'automated manual' in the Aventador. Or, maybe it's just the press who call it that, but whatever. It's not as fast (to shift), not as quick (to accelerate), and not as smooth as _either_ a DCT _or_ a torque-converter-type automatic. It spares some parts and complexity, though, and I should think it spares noticeable production cost.

From friend and journalist reviews, quick shifters and similar devices that momentarily cut engine power to release pressure on engaged driving gears so shifts can be accomplished without use of the clutch, work very well under moderate to hard acceleration but don't do so well under light throttle acceleration or when decelerating slowly. One thing with DCT to date is that it works pretty well under all riding conditions from very easy to very aggressive throttle. Every so often there is a debate over DCT's claimed "learning ability" but however it works it does adapt pretty well to the needs of the moment. Unless I am missing something with the E-Clutch and it offers something different or better than existing quick shifters it won't offer nearly as much to the rider as DCT does. Of course there are many riders that don't want what DCT offers and Honda has been clear to offer up transmission choices with those models.

I'm assuming this E clutch will be hugely cheaper to implement than DCT and possibly retrofit as a kit to existing models. I can't see how it could be better than DCT though.

If I'm understanding this correctly, the E-clutch "brain" monitors the rider clutch input and modifies the clutch bite based on various parameters. It could in theory give a complete noob the gift of smooth clutch control when accelerating from standstill. No more embarrassingly killing the engine when the lights turn green. And if the system fails, you can use the clutch lever.

I think the availability of the DCT will keep the NC750X alive for awhile more. Other than the Goldwing there is no other road bike with a DCT. I think as we age riders will want to downsize from their big Goldwings to an easier to manage lighter bike with a DCT.
i could be mistaken, but i think we still have the Rebel 1100 dct here in the states.

The OP being in the Netherlands, I’d say that chances of there being a 2024 NC750X in the Netherlands is probably higher than there being one in the USA. The NC has never been a big seller in the States, and for 2023 the manual transmission model wasn’t even imported.

The Transalp is more of an adverture bike while the NC, despite it’s adventure styling, is really pure street bike. I don’t think one could replace the other.

Some time ago there were hints of a new style NC engine, but so far it has not materialized. Honda hints and shows lots of concepts that never see production. But what do I know? I never even thought the 700 would morph into a 750.
670cc, I agree 100%, the Transalp is much more of a dual sport bike where the NC is more of a street bike. Plus with the US only offering the NC in a dual clutch and the Transalp in only a manual 6 speed would tell me that here in the US they are two very different customers.

No changes since this variant was announced at the end of 2020. I really thought we would get a facelift of some variety but Honda must feel the bike is doing just fine as is.

Back