• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2024: What did you do to/with your NC700/NC750 today?

As I work at a dealer, I had a chance to borrow a Transalp for the weekend very early on. I was shocked by how much I liked it, as my expectations were mediocre. Yes, it’s top-heavy (compared to the NC, most things are), but it was a fantastic bike to ride. I’m not a fan of the big ADV bikes; I owned an R80G/S back in the day, and I firmly believe all ADV bikes should try to be modern versions of that, not Gold Wings with dirt pretensions. As for the CRF300s, they’re not comparable to the Transalp. Totally different things. I would be more likely to buy a CRF300 (not the Rally) than a Transalp, but that’s because it would be more useful to me, not because there’s anything wrong with the Transalp.

I just wish I was tall enough to have the options of riding some of these taller bikes. I wouldnt even be riding my 21 NC if Honda hadn't lowered it. You taller guys dont know how good you have it.

I just wish I was tall enough to have the options of riding some of these taller bikes. I wouldnt even be riding my 21 NC if Honda hadn't lowered it. You taller guys dont know how good you have it.
It does broaden the spectrum, but there are tons of bikes out there that give me serious issues re: peg/seat/bars triangle. Very annoying when the bars hit your knees in tight manouvres. Oddly enough, I spent the last seven years on a CBR300R. I was comfortable, but I suspect I looked like a monkey having it on with a football when I was riding it.

My wife could barely ride her 49cc Ruckus in stock form. I then lowered the seat for her. We thought about getting a pair of Groms, but it was too tall for her. The target demographic for motorcycle and scooter design sizing is narrow, and from my observations it favors the taller set of the population.

It’s weird how even from the largest displacement to the smallest, the target operator size seems to be about the same. You would think there would be a spectrum of bikes to fit various person sizes, but no. Better yet, make the motorcycle ergonomics adjustable, like in nearly every automobile on the road today.

My wife could barely ride her 49cc Ruckus in stock form. I then lowered the seat for her. We thought about getting a pair of Groms, but it was too tall for her. The target demographic for motorcycle and scooter design sizing is narrow, and from my observations it favors the taller set of the population.

It’s weird how even from the largest displacement to the smallest, the target operator size seems to be about the same. You would think there would be a spectrum of bikes to fit various person sizes, but no. Better yet, make the motorcycle ergonomics adjustable, like in nearly every automobile on the road today.
There are a number of bikes that favor smaller folks. Harley sportsters are a good example. Frankly a lot of cruisers do.

There are a number of bikes that favor smaller folks. Harley sportsters are a good example. Frankly a lot of cruisers do.
As a taller person, I would tend to agree with that. However, I also believe @670cc is spot on with his position that the manufacturers aim for the middle in their design schema. Probably about the same number of bikes, modern bikes, well suited for those who fall above or below the median...not a lot in any case. One of the Kawasaki bikes does have adjustable ergos; more than most at least. Had to google it...Vulcan S has adjustable ergonomics. Some have to be selected at time of purchase to avoid an upcharge.

As a taller person, I would tend to agree with that. However, I also believe @670cc is spot on with his position that the manufacturers aim for the middle in their design schema. Probably about the same number of bikes, modern bikes, well suited for those who fall above or below the median...not a lot in any case. One of the Kawasaki bikes does have adjustable ergos; more than most at least. Had to google it...Vulcan S has adjustable ergonomics. Some have to be selected at time of purchase to avoid an upcharge.
BRP apparently saw opportunity and developed a great adjustable ergonomic layout for the Can Am Ryker. Nearly instantly and without tools, the handlebars can be positioned forward-rearward, both footpegs can be moved forward-rearward over a wide range (the brake pedal and master cylinder move along also), and the height of the brake pedal can be adjusted. The Ryker wins the prize for best adjustability, in my opinion.

Honda seems to be going down a path of offering electronic “ride modes” and removing the burden of operating a clutch, but I wish Honda would put some effort into adding adjustable seating and controls.

I agree, but we hate the cruiser look and styling, and don’t need the typical weight and engine displacement of cruisers. Looking at small displacement (under 250cc) motorcycles and scooters, where one would expect ergos for smaller people, there seem to be few appropriately sized frames.

I agree, but we hate the cruiser look and styling, and don’t need the typical weight and engine displacement of cruisers. Looking at small displacement (under 250cc) motorcycles and scooters, where one would expect ergos for smaller people, there seem to be few appropriately sized frames.
I agree that the range of offerings is not what it should be, nor is the adjustability. I noticed that the new RE Himalayan will have a seat that can be mounted in two positions, and two different-height seats. Now I know the Himalayan, even at its lowest, is still going to be too tall for many, but I use it as an example of what’s possible. I suspect the two-way mounting is simple. Then you make two seats, which many manufacturers do. Voila, you have four available seat heights. I hope this is an example to others.

Day 13...after being trapped by snow and ice for the last 3 days, was finally able to get out this afternoon for a 30 mile ride @ 41 degrees and sunny

oqaphqeh.jpg

BRP apparently saw opportunity and developed a great adjustable ergonomic layout for the Can Am Ryker. Nearly instantly and without tools, the handlebars can be positioned forward-rearward, both footpegs can be moved forward-rearward over a wide range (the brake pedal and master cylinder move along also), and the height of the brake pedal can be adjusted. The Ryker wins the prize for best adjustability, in my opinion.

Honda seems to be going down a path of offering electronic “ride modes” and removing the burden of operating a clutch, but I wish Honda would put some effort into adding adjustable seating and controls.
Kudos to BRP! I could not agree more that manufacturers misplace efforts on development of features that, from a personal and consumer perspective, do little to entice ownership.

Got my rack today finally after delivery delays because of the weather. Will get the nelson rigg bag mounted to it this weekend and get it bolted on. The rack is bigger than I expected. Made in Vietnam, not China. I got it off Ebay.

Attachments

• 20240124_070242.jpg
    20240124_070242.jpg
    879.6 KB · Views: 4
Got my rack today finally after delivery delays because of the weather. Will get the nelson rigg bag mounted to it this weekend and get it bolted on. The rack is bigger than I expected. Made in Vietnam, not China. I got it off Ebay.
Looks good!

Got the bag mounted to the rack. I used a paint bucket lid to make a template then a piece of 8" x 8" metal plate and drilled the holes using the template. Basically the bag is bolted to the rack using a metal plate in the bag and 1/4" button head bolts. Will get the rack on the bike tomorrow. Itd a nice clean look.

Attachments

• 20240124_141612.jpg
    20240124_141612.jpg
    1,022.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240124_141620.jpg
    20240124_141620.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
  • 20240124_153704.jpg
    20240124_153704.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
  • 20240124_154348.jpg
    20240124_154348.jpg