• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

A Scooter versus an NC700x: Switching Up

Empty Vessel

Reaction score
Visit site
Many of the reviews, not to mention Honda marketing, have suggested that the NC700x is a good step up for people who have been riding scooters. As a scooter rider who did just that, I want to share my experience and impressions with any who might be thinking about doing it too. For the last few years, I have been commuting (about 5 miles each way) on a Kymco People 150, while keeping my car for longer drives and buying lumber. The People is a large wheeled scooter, with about 150cc. I decided to buy a motorcycle because I want to continue commuting, but want to be able to take longer rides on the weekend. I chose the NC700x because all the reviews made it sound like the perfect commuter motorcycle, that I could also take on longer rides. So what do I think of the switch? The short version is that a scooter really is the perfect vehicle for short trips in town, but the NC700x is the better all-around vehicle.

Before I go on, I do want to say one thing. If you are a scooter rider and are thinking of switching to a motorcycle, any motorcycle, first take a MOTORCYCLE SAFETY CLASS. The class costs a few hundred bucks and gives you a good introduction to riding a motorcycle. If you like it, you can go on and start thinking what motorcycle you want. If you don’t like it, the class will make you a far better scooter rider than you were before. Since I ride a 150cc scooter, I had to get a motorcycle endorsement—including a skills test on a closed course. I aced it on my scooter…perfect score…the first time. Even so, I became a far better scooter rider after I took the motorcycle safety class. So, take the class, there is no downside and it will not be a waste of money.

One of the major concerns I had switching from a scooter to a motorcycle was shifting, since my scooter is an automatic. I was worried that shifting would be difficult, annoying and I might kill myself learning. I thought about getting the DCT version, but chose not to because I am too cheap to spend the $2,000 on it. What I have learned in one month of riding is that scooter riders really don’t need to worry about the whole shifting thing. I learned how to shift in the Motorcycle Safety Class, and after one week of riding I pretty much had it down. I am still working at shifting smoothly, but it really isn’t a big deal. So, if shifting is what’s scaring you, really there is no need to be scared.

The real difference between the scooter and the motorcycle is size and weight. The NC700x is much heavier, much bigger and is less maneuverable than the scooter. The reason I aced the motorcycle test when I rode a scooter is because it is much easier to weave and do tight turns on a scooter than on a motorcycle (its much easier to stop fast on a motorcycle). Despite what many motorcycle folks think, a 150cc scooter has more than enough power in town. With 150cc, a scooter can keep up with traffic (I am 240 pounds and still goes 55 mph easily) and I am typically off the line at stop lights faster than other cars and motorcycles. Strictly in terms of taking short (less than 5 mile) trips in town, I far prefer the scooter. But, the scooter can’t go on the highway and really it isn’t even that enjoyable to take for longer rides on secondary roads, where traffic here in Arizona often hits 60-70 mph.

In terms of safety, in theory a scooter and a motorcycle are just about the same. Let’s face it, the main danger on either motorcycle or scooter is getting hit by a car pulling out of a driveway, turning at an intersection or changing lanes. When in town, scooters and motorcycles are travelling at about the same speed…so the damage caused by hitting the pavement at 40 mph is going to be about the same whether you are on a scooter or motorcycle. There is, however, one difference. When I ride my motorcycle, I wear almost all the gear all the time (everything but motorcycle pants—I wear jeans [my bad]). When I ride the scooter, I wear ¾ helmet and otherwise nothing that is going to save my hide in a crash. Even now that I own all the gear, I still don’t wear it when I ride the scooter. Seriously, I can’t think of anything more silly looking than a scooter rider in full motorcycle gear, I’m just not man enough to look that dumb. On a motorcycle, however, I look like one of those safety conscious riders. Sure, the Harley guys might scoff, but I am not alone. So, in practice, the motorcycle is safer because I am wearing all the safety gear.

The last difference I have found between the scooter and NC700x is convenience. When I need to run out and pick up Chinese food for dinner, I head straight for the scooter. I get on it faster, start it faster and I am half-way down the road well before I would even start the motorcycle. What I have realized, however, is that almost all that convenience comes from not putting on all the safety gear. If I just stuck a helmet on my head, getting out on the motorcycle would be pretty convenient too. So, in essence, all of the additional convenience of the scooter is the result of not being safe.

So, all in all, I am happy with the NC700x, it is a better all-around vehicle than my scooter…for the simple reason that I can actually ride it all-around, not just in town. The motorcycle is also safer, if for no other reason than I wear almost all of the safety gear whenever I ride it. So, after one month, I am happy I bought the NC700x. I’ve taken several long rides, I’ve commuted to work and gone grocery shopping (the space in the frunk is equivalent to the under-seat storage on the scooter and the OEM top box is cavernous). I have decided to sell my car (I can use my wife’s car for those rare times I need one), but I am keeping my scooter. There isn’t a good reason to keep the scooter, but there is still something about it that makes me smile, and it is truly a joy to bop around town with it. My advice to other scooter riders is this, if you are looking for a better in-town vehicle, don’t get a motorcycle. You already have the best in-town vehicle possible. But if you want an all-around vehicle for in-town and longer rides in the country, the NC700x would be a very good choice.

Last edited:
Oh, and one more practical matter. On my scooter I usually dismount, then put down the kickstand. DON'T DO THAT ON A MOTORCYCLE. I did it once. My People 150 is 200 pounds, it is light, I can easily steady it while hopping off. The NC700x is 500 pounds, it is heavy, it falls over.

Thanks for your comments from a scooter to NC700X point of view. The wife and I have six two-wheelers in our fleet . Three are scooters, three are motorcycles. I am definitely a motorcycle person, but the scooters are surely fun, too.

When I ride a scooter, even the Ruckus 50, it's in full riding gear. Falling off at 35 MPH is falling off at 35 MPH. It makes no difference if it's a 670cc, an 1832ccc or a 49cc machine, sliding on the pavement is gonna hurt really bad.

The way I convince myself to always wear full gear is to imagine myself with no gear on, then running as fast as I absolutely can across a hot asphalt parking lot and then diving face first onto the pavement. My hands hit the pavement and the skin is ripped off my palms, then my bare face bounces on the asphalt next. My jeans are quickly shredded, my knee caps smack down hard. and my Velcro laced tennis shoes pop off at the impact point leaving no foot protection either. That gory mental picture of just a 10 or 15 mph slide convinces me to wear all the gear, all the time, on any machine - ATGATT. It doesn't matter to me if I'm seen wearing full hi-vis full gear on a 50cc scooter, or what people might think. Having the ride end safely is the main goal.

Enjoy your new ride!

Last edited:
Thanks for your comments from a scooter to NC700X point of view. The wife and I have six two-wheelers in our fleet . Three are scooters, three are motorcycles. I am definitely a motorcycle person, but the scooters are surely fun, too.

When I ride a scooter, even the Ruckus 50, it's in full riding gear. Falling off at 35 MPH is falling off at 35 MPH. It makes no difference if it's a 670cc, an 1832ccc or a 49cc machine, sliding on the pavement is gonna hurt really bad.

The way I convince myself to always wear full gear is to imagine myself with no gear on, then running as fast as I absolutely can across a hot asphalt parking lot and then diving face first onto the pavement. My hands hit the pavement and the skin is ripped off my palms, then my bare face bounces on the asphalt next. My jeans are quickly shredded, my knee caps smack down hard. and my Velcro laced tennis shoes pop off at the impact point leaving no foot protection either. That gory mental picture of just a 10 or 15 mph slide convinces me to wear all the gear, all the time, on any machine - ATGATT. It doesn't matter to me if I'm seen wearing full hi-vis full gear on a 50cc scooter, or what people might think. Having the ride end safely is the main goal.

Enjoy you new ride!

Yeah, you are of course completely right about the gear. These days, I now wear a leather jacket and gloves whatever I am on. I really can't understand how I ever got on the scooter without gloves (I always wore a helmet). I mean seriously, chances are the hands will be the first thing to hit the pavement. But yeah, I am still being a bit of an idiot on the scooter. And I should really pick up some riding pants.

Scooters have not always been automatic. Back in 1962 I owned a Lambretta scooter that had a four speed transmission. You shifted by pulling in on the clutch level and twisting the hand grip. Not sure when scooters went automatic since I soon moved to a motorcycle, and then stopped riding altogether until I recently bought my NC. Glad you had a good experience with your Motorcycle Safety Class, since the one here in Oregon is not that helpful.

Hi Empty Vessel welcome to the forum. I fully agree with you about training being an excellent idea. It is necessary to get a licence here in the Uk. i wish that it was available way back in the 60s when I started out. If it had I may not be limping now.
enjoy your NC

Hello and welcome to the forum!
Yes scooters are a lot of fun around certain riding areas. Your post listed very valid points.
I still, however, cannot see myself owning a scooter yet.

Big maxi scooters have negated the "no highway" restrictions to previous scooters.
Anyway, the NC serie is a little like a giant scooter with the Integra variant.

Ride safe and hope to see more of your posts here.
~joe

I have a Honda Silver Wing and a SH150i along with my NC700. I have been using the Silver Wing for touring, but wanted something with a more upright riding position. Riding on gravel or dirt roads and parking lots with the Silver Wing can be a challange. My Sh150i works good just fine, but you would not want to ride it 500+ miles in one day. With the NC700, no problem. Also with the non trunk, rear trunk & saddle bags there is more storage room for gear than the Silver Wing and it gets better mileage.
You can't really compair them because they are three completely different machines designed for three different purposes. The Nc700 is a motorcycle and loves twisties, but will run the interstate all day and is good on bad surfaces. The Silver Wing has a riding position like a curiser, You can ride across the country on it. It has plenty of storage, but not so good on bad surfaces. The SH150i is good for around town shopping and with the flat floor board you can carry all kinds of stuff on it. It is fast enuff for short hops on the interstate, but would be very uncomfortable on long trips.

Yeah, you are of course completely right about the gear. These days, I now wear a leather jacket and gloves whatever I am on. I really can't understand how I ever got on the scooter without gloves (I always wore a helmet). I mean seriously, chances are the hands will be the first thing to hit the pavement. But yeah, I am still being a bit of an idiot on the scooter. And I should really pick up some riding pants.

Yes!! Pick up some riding pants!! I went down on my last bike wearing only jeans and a mesh riding jacket. Jeans in the places where I was skidding were gone in an instant! I got some NASTY road rash on my legs and on my stomach as my jacket was only mesh and it rode up since I didn't have matching pants to secure it with. I now have matching jacket and pants where the jacket zips to the pants so as not to ride up and expose the mid-drift area in case of slidding on the pavement. I know it's not as convinient to wear all of that gear, but road rash is pretty damn inconvienient and painful. Plus it takes longer to heal up than it does to put on the gear.

Great write up though! Ride safe!

Everyone's making very good points here. I might reference this thread on some of the other forums I visit because of its good content.

I've noticed that wearing gear when going riding is a matter of acclimation. I remember when I first started riding, it felt very awkward to put on these thick gloves, and bulky jacket, and stiff boots. I felt like an idiot walking out of the house wearing that setup. Then, after a while, I got used to it and now it's almost the reverse. I feel awkward, naked and guilty (because I know that I know better) if I ever get on a bike without all of my gear. I still do, on occasion, but only in cases where I deem the risk of crashing low enough. It's still a gamble, of course. It was the same way with ear plugs (discussion here). The inputs from my surrounding that I was receiving with earplugs in was different and uncomfortable than what I was used to. Now that I've gotten used to it, I don't want to ride without them. I imagine the same is true for scooter riders. They've gotten comfortable riding without gear, and it feels strange to ride with. Throw in the social pressure into the mix (O.P.: "I can’t think of anything more silly looking than a scooter rider in full motorcycle gear"), and you've got yourself a standard. Personally, I'd like to see that change, but for now it is what it is.

Maybe an experiment is in order... Empty Vessel, if you're up for it, try wearing your full motorcycle getup on your scooter for a week, and see if your outlook changes.

And welcome to the forum! :)

Enjoy your new ride!

I admire your ability to do this. Like Empty Vessel, I can't handle the fact that I would look like a COMPLETE IDIOT riding around on my Vespa in town wearing full face helmet, elbow padded jacket and boots. I'll take the risk.

I admire your ability to do this. Like Empty Vessel, I can't handle the fact that I would look like a COMPLETE IDIOT riding around on my Vespa in town wearing full face helmet, elbow padded jacket and boots. I'll take the risk.

Well at least I am not alone in this. The sad thing is that those who say wear ATGATT are right. I find its usually a bad to argue with stupid, particularly when I am the stupid one. All that said, I really have a hard time imagining myself wearing all the gear on the scooter. Probably, the safest thing would be to simply sell it, and go full time on the NC. I might do that. Though truth be told I am more likely to sell the People 150 because I would love to restore a vintage Honda Super Cub...but that's a whole 'nother thang.

Though truth be told I am more likely to sell the People 150 because I would love to restore a vintage Honda Super Cub...but that's a whole 'nother thang.

I have a 62 C110 I believe it is otherwise known as a Super Cub, if you are interested I will take the cover off and post a picture. ed

ps I also have a motorcycle trailer and family in Tucson

I have a 62 C110 I believe it is otherwise known as a Super Cub, if you are interested I will take the cover off and post a picture. ed

ps I also have a motorcycle trailer and family in Tucson

Thanks for the offer, but sadly I ain't in the position to start this yet. I still need to learn how to ride well and I need to finish a ton of a carpentry projects around my house. This is one of those things I am gonna do a few years down the road. But thanks again.

it's a British 60s thing. My username should tell you why.

should read silly ol Rocker.
as for its a British thing to a small minority old fools who live in the past this might apply but I do know a number of bikers ,
who would have no qualm's if that all the could ride due to leg ailments etc..
as for scooters I didn't mention V***a or L*******a silly ol bigotry fool.

it's a British 60s thing. My username should tell you why.

should read silly ol Rocker.
as for its a British thing to a small minority old fools who live in the past this might apply but I do know a number of bikers ,
who would have no qualm's if that all the could ride due to leg ailments etc..
as for scooters I didn't mention V***a or L*******a silly ol bigotry fool.

No call for personal abuse mate. I'm not telling anyone that THEY shouldn't ride scooters I'm just saying that there no way I would ever do so. It's called personal choice.
I have no problem with you disagreeing with me but I do object to personal abuse

The question is HOW MUCH IS YOUR BODY WORTH? Get the best gear you can afford and wear it every time you ride. I may look silly riding my NC700 & scooters in full HI-VIS motorcycle riding gear, BUT you can see me. And if something happens hopefully I will come out of it alive. A couple of years ago some friends & I were going on a camping trip. We were in a town about 200 miles from home. One of my friends got in some gravel and went down. If he had been riding in a tee shirt and jeans, he would of been in the hospital. And without a helmet he would of been dead. But he had the proper gear on & outside of a couple bruises, he was ok & we continued on.

Thanks for your post. I think you summed up the feeling of many of us who ride scooters, especially the concern of learning to shift. I should have taken my MSF course on the motorcycle instead of the scooter. My friends told me to, but I didn't listen. I'm going to see if they will let me take it again even though i already have my license. The course is free in my state.

Yes, it's true that many motorcyclists don't see us in the same way as their like minded brethren but to me that's their issue. When I am out there on the expressway elbow to door handle with the cagers I don't think I feel any different than any other person on two wheels.

And please wear your gear. I want to be able to read posts from you in the future.

Back