• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

A Tale of Two Windshields

Tucsonrider

Reaction score
Visit site
To paraphrase Mr. Dickens, “It was the best of windshields. It was the worst of windshields.”

When I got my NC700X in November 2012 I knew my first Mod would have to be to change out the windscreen for something more substantial. After much studying my decision was made.

The Low Down

I decided on the tallest Cal Sci Windshield made for the Honda NC700X. My Mechanic and I installed it and discovered that the screen was not made for the NC700X very well. The mounting hardware was not the best and the right handlebar hit the screen pretty strongly during a tight turn. I had a $213.99 windshield not working correctly right out of the box. I thought, what’s up with that? And of course, using the stock mounting system, the windshield vibrated loose at two mounting points going 75 MPH. OY!

Took that off and put the stock windshield back on… Realization (Again!) set in the stock windshield does nothing to improve one’s riding experience. It had to go… But what to get next?

The High Down

Narrowed my decision to two windshields, A Cee Bailey or one from Parabellum. Could not easily decide which one to get and on a gut decision went with the Cee Bailey 22” windscreen. Wow! What a difference a windshield makes. But I digress.. Placed the order and the windshield arrived 9 days later. My mechanic and I installed it. Much better. Not a perfect install but much less extra work to get the windshield correctly installed as compared to the CalSci. And the nut plates mounting system that HONDABIKEPRO developed for windshield install was superb. Simply superb. (Thank you, Dale for making a great product.)

After putting 300 miles on the bike with the Cee Bailey windshield, the observations are very positive.

1. I can leave my Arai full face helmet visor in the up position for a gentle air flow up to all legal highway speeds.
2. The windshield has stayed tightly connected even at highway speeds past 90 MPH.
3. Wind noise is decreased. The roar of the wind occurring in my helmet during riding is greatly reduced. I can actually hear the whine or roar of the engine during riding and the hum of the tires rolling over the pavement. Nice.

All in all well worth the cost ($162.00 plus $30.00 install fee) to change to the Cee Bailey Windshield,,,,

My Backround: I am 6 ft, 32” inseam and I use an AirHawk seat cushion just about every time I throw a leg over the seat.

Pics to follow..

To paraphrase Mr. Dickens, “It was the best of windshields. It was the worst of windshields.”
This has to be one of my favorite quotes from this forum yet.

The Cee Bailey is a nice windshield indeed. I've got the same 22" version and it worked pretty well for me (6'-1", 32" inseam) until I installed the Bruudt adjustable bracket (top slot, lowest position: a little higher than the top mounting hole) and found perfection. It's one of the better looking windshield solutions available.

Congrats on finding your calm!

Pics and links Cagedodger!
Tucson I removed my Cal Sci after I almost dropped the bike twice in one day. Key here peps, If there is notched in the shield the brake levels and clutch levers have to fit in the notches if you changed handles to the pretty black ones they are fatter!

Last edited:
Congrats on finding something that works for you. For me, it's the most important mod you can make!:)

I've ordered Dale's "nut plate" for the windshield I made at home (DIY Windshield). It will solve the mounting difficulty with something more elegant than I'm using now. I'm glad to hear Dale does indeed send them out when folks order them.

I'll update my Cee Bailey thread with some pics when I have some time. Despite the perfect weather this weekend, I won't have much time to ride since I've got a few tons of dirt and manure to move around in my back yard. Thankfully I ride to work or I'd go stir-crazy!

Thanks everyone... Cagedodger, I realize now your thread on the Cee Bailey windshield was probably the tipping point that allowed me to make the right decision. Thanks!
My next Mod.. The Seat!

Tucson rider I'm here in the old pueblo as well! Rode up to Kitt Peak today fun ride. I'm looking at the Cee Bailey 20" since I'm 5'8". Do you think Dales mounting plate is necessary (your opinion)

Wow, think you've sold me on Cee Bailey's. I'll probably get the 20", even though I'm 6'. I always prefer slightly shorter windshields.

Well,I ordered one and am anxious for it to show up. I wonder if it will mount to the Honda cruising shield frame?

Nope. It's made to mount directly in place of the short OEM shield. You could probably adapt it to fit, but you might end up with an extra pair of holes in the shield for your troubles. Still, it might be worth it.

Hey there Tuscon rider,,I got my motorsickle around the same time as you,,and it seems been though the same hoops..I ordered the Honda touring screen with the bike.It fits great ,looks great,keeps the wind off you great,,but,but o boy the noise,,the howling wind starts as low as 15mph and builds up...Its crap..I could buy brackets to adjust the height but I really do not like that idea,,I also do not like the idea of buying another screen...What I intend to do is replace with the old standard screen for the summer and look again in autumn..Also may invest in a better helmet,,that may help...

The trim around the windshield serves to "trip" the airflow going by, causing turbulence and noise. It is probably glued on permanently, but if you can remove it, the noise level should drop. None of the aftermarket shields have the trim for good reason.

The trim around the windshield serves to "trip" the airflow going by, causing turbulence and noise. It is probably glued on permanently, but if you can remove it, the noise level should drop. None of the aftermarket shields have the trim for good reason.

Not sure I am buying this theory...............

Back