• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

About to make purchase or not?

mpritch41

Reaction score
Visit site
I about to purchase a NC 700x...I think.
The thing that is holding me back is it's lack of ABS and I don't want the XA model.
I could wait a year and see if ABS is offered on the next years bike,but the price is very important and I don't want to pay an extra $1000.00 or so.
So my question to the NC 700x folks is: Am I giving up too much by not buying the non-abs model or am I over-thinking the whole thing?

Need some input

mp

The thing that is holding me back is it's lack of ABS and I don't want the XA model.
I could wait a year and see if ABS is offered on the next years bike,but the price is very important and I don't want to pay an extra $1000.00 or so.
So my question to the NC 700x folks is: Am I giving up too much by not buying the non-abs model or am I over-thinking the whole thing?

Need some input

mp

Well, it would seem that everyone that has already bought a manual tranny NC sans ABS has decided they were not giving up too much, and went ahead with the purchase. Perhaps they did or didn't want ABS, but the purchase was made nonetheless.

I would have preferred ABS myself, but not the DCT, so I went ahead and bought one without ABS. I have no regrets.

I'm a bit confused by your post: "don't want the XA model". I was thinking X was manual/no ABS, XA was manual with ABS. XD is DCT/ABS.

Greg

ABS does not improve braking performance. It can be a very expensive component to repair. If you develope good defensive riding habits, and learn good motorcycle handling and braking, that is what will keep you healthy as a motorcycle rider. Even with ABS it is essentual to learn the skills of riding. ABS will not save you in most situations that require good riding skill.

Art

I would have preferred ABS myself, but not the DCT, so I went ahead and bought one without ABS.

+1. I really grew fond of the ABS on my last bike with as many miles commuting I tend to do. Slick roads, dodgy drivers, animals... it nice to have the peace of mind that if I panic and grab more than I meant to, there's a safety net there.

The lack of ABS on the NC was definitely a turn off, and I almost waited until next year to see if they'll add it as a separate option. And honestly, if they do, I'll have some buyer's remorse... kind of. My ABS Bandit tended to have a numb lever feel, which all attributed to the long, complicated lines of the ABS system. I'm really enjoying the direct feel from the NC's lever.

If I were you, at this point, I'd definitely wait and see if the Mothership will release details about next year's model. It can't be too much longer, at least I wouldn't think so.

trey

It it becomes available, I doubt the cost will be less than $1000 additional. The ABS central unit is over $1,300 at parts prices. That does not include the extra plumbing and labor and the more expensive front caliper. My issue with it would have been the linked brakes. To each his own, but me no likey. I am liking my solution of an ABS front caliper on a non-ABS bike with both circuits piped to the front lever. But then, have never owned an ABS bike and I intentionally bought non-ABS versions of both the Honda ST1100 and the BMW R1150R. It is a wonder I am still alive quite a few hundred thousand miles later.

ABS prevents you locking the wheels, and is beneficial in situations where the road is contaminated, or when riding over uneven/different surfaces under braking, but in no way is it a replacement for driving to the conditions, and planning ahead.

If ABS didn't help, I doubt manufacturers would fit them. It is a complex device, and something major to go wrong. The liability of this must be out-weighed by the benefits.

Best regards,
BikerDude.

Last edited:
Agreed. ABS is demonstrably useful in saving people from minor to moderate mistakes. Many don't like it, but essentially none are actually better brakers under adverse circumstances than ABS is.

I would have much preferred ABS, but didn't get it (have to buy the DCT with it here, and that combo was too pricey). I don't especially like the linked brakes Honda likes to use on a bike like the NCX (supposedly off-road as well as on; need to be able to lock the rear to 'steer' sometimes ;) ), but I'd like the ABS very much. There's no reason in the world for ABS alone to cost more than ~$300 - $500, as that's roughly what it costs on comparable bikes (including other Hondas). Though it'll be a little frustrating to me, I really hope Honda will either make it available as a stand-alone option, or just make it standard equipment across the board with a deactivation switch for off-road use.

Thanks to all for the help.

Agreed. ABS is demonstrably useful in saving people from minor to moderate mistakes. Many don't like it, but essentially none are actually better brakers under adverse circumstances than ABS is.

I would have much preferred ABS, but didn't get it (have to buy the DCT with it here, and that combo was too pricey). I don't especially like the linked brakes Honda likes to use on a bike like the NCX (supposedly off-road as well as on; need to be able to lock the rear to 'steer' sometimes ;) ), but I'd like the ABS very much. There's no reason in the world for ABS alone to cost more than ~$300 - $500, as that's roughly what it costs on comparable bikes (including other Hondas). Though it'll be a little frustrating to me, I really hope Honda will either make it available as a stand-alone option, or just make it standard equipment across the board with a deactivation switch for off-road use.

Thanks to all for the help

mp

ABS will not save you in most situations that require good riding skill.

I agree, but it could save yout butt in many other situations. I have the NC700XA (manual with ABS) and I don't know why many of you guys don't like the ABS version, maybe that's because you don't have it / not available to you... I am considering myself as a very good rider, I ride my NC as hard as it can be ridden (hum...) and can easily do stoppies with it, so what's the downside of having ABS ?? The times you lock the front wheel is because you've gone too far, and that feature is there to remind it to you. It doesn't prevent you from doing anything else, except from going too far. I often ride pretty fast on dirt roads and let me tell you that I really love ABS the fraction of a second it sometimes kicks in.

I think the NC700X DCT is priced really well, with only a $2,000 premium over the standard version. Let's say the ABS cost only $1,000, that means the DCT tranny only costs $1,000 extra. That's quite a bargain. Anyway, you can wait for future standard version, hoping that it will have ABS as an option. If it does come, you will have to pay for it, too (sounds like you are hoping it will be a free add-on?)There is no having the cake and eating it here.

Personally, I would think rider experience and CONFIDENCE is more important than ABS. A lot of time, when a rider lock up the front, is due to carelessness and not knowing how to react during an unfamiliar situation. Reacting too harshly and too suddenly with the front brake will cause the front to lock up, going into the corner too fast and unable to turn further in or increase lean angle, and the resulting panic braking would also cause a low side, etc. You MIGHT be saved in those situations by ABS. But you may also prevent yourself from getting into those situation with more experience and, if you do, confidence and experience would also help you get out of it.

If ABS is that important, you may consider the BMW G650GS. A 2009+, well maintained, low mileage, can be had for around the same price as a standard NCX. And it comes with ABS standard and likely have heated grips and center stand already installed.

Last edited:
I was in the exact situation as you and a very experienced rider told me that it is not a good idea for a new rider to get ABS on his first bike. You will depend on them too much and never really get good breaking skills. So I didn't and I'm glad.

It's not a deal breaker for me, but then again the DCT sounds about half interesting to me too, but I'm a purest I guess and wouldn't get either.

Need some input

mp

Your living in the wrong Birmingham as if you lived in the one in West Midlands UK your NC would come with ABS as standard.
Personally all though I rode for many years without ABS I now prefer my bike to have it. Having said that I don't rely on it to save my skin but anything that increases my chances of staying upright is fine by me

Back