• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Adventures of Nana Chou - A Texas Butter Goes Alaskan

I looked for you as we rode down the coast because I figured you'd come that way but it looks like I missed you by a day. Stay safe!!!

I'm having a little trouble with this no map idea. It's making me twitchy just thinking about it. Navigational aid withdrawal. I must go flip around in my road atlas.
Seriously though, good on you for getting 'lost'.

Sometimes Chestnut on a day ride I do just that.....Just get on the bike and go...maybe Norh or West...
The desire to KNOW where you are all the time, can somewhat crush the joy of being lost.....:)

Day 10

Today was sent riding the Alcan. A true Alaska/Canada Adventure.

345.jpg

Spent the night in White Horse, Yukon.

343.jpg

Here Nana found Noah's Ark!

But better than that, at the camp ground we found new friends Marty, Charlotte, and son, Houston McIntyre. A family that travels together on their bikes. I pulled up to the gas pump and Charlotte asked me were I was from. I told her Houston. She stated that was her son's name. The fellow sitting at the pump on the other side said he was from Houston also (He was on a Harley) . Three Houston's in a few seconds there. We got to talking, and we all went into the café and had dinner. The fellow Harley was from Sealy, Texas, the home of Eric Dickinson. Marty, Charlotte, and Houston are from West Virginia. After dinner, we all went behind the café and setup our tents. Houston had a flat tire on his BMW. We found a Yamaha dealer that had one Kenda tire that size, and Houston bought it. Went back to the campsite and installed Houston's new tire. (Thanks to the good folks on this site who advised me, I had the 8 minute slime air pump that blew the new tire up with no problems. That evening we all set around exchanging war stories and spraying mosquito repellant on each other. It was a great evening. The next morning after being awoken by a low flying aircraft we all went out separate ways.5.jpg

344.jpg

Smileyok.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
Day 11

Back on the Alcan highway. When you cross into Alaska, the Canada and US check points are for some strange reason are about 20 miles apart. That 20 miles must me No man's land. Believe me no man kept up that highway either. Now in Alaska. Stopped to eat that evening at a café in Tok, Alaska. Meet two fellows outside the café on new water cooled BMW R1200GS. These guys were from Florida. We had dinner together, then went to the camp ground right down the street. You'd know it, another airport runway. At about 5:30 AM a low flying helicopter was nice enough to wake everyone the campsite for an early start to the next day.4.jpg

349.jpg

And away we go!

SmileyAirplane.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
Why isn't it raining? Are you sure that is Whitehorse?

It is neat that that have that old DC-3 on a sensitive enough bearing pedestal that it points into the wind like a weathervane. The only thing that would have been better would be if they rigged the props so that they would windmill.

Enjoy. If you don't care where you are going, I would recommend north out of Whitehorse on the Klondike Highway (Hwy 2) to Dawson City. Stop at the Downtown Hotel and get a Sourtoe cocktail (I was unwilling!). Then across the ferry and over the Top of The World Highway through Chicken and into Tok, Alaska. You can come back via the Alaska Highway through the incredible Destruction Bay area.

ETA: Too late. Now that you are in Tok, you can take the TOTW through Chicken to Dawson City.

Hope you get good weather for the Dalton Highway ride. Northwest rider had to turn back because of fresh gravel being put down rain and cold temps. Hope you ate at Fast Eddies while in TOK.
Waiting patiently to see if you you go to Homer, ride through the Whittier Tunnel take the TOP of World Highway and see how the ride to Deadhorse goes for you. Good Luck
You missed your first Glacier picture back on the way to Hyder if you had gone that way. I would suggest going to Valdez another beautiful ride. They do have cops in Alaska handing out speeding awards be careful.

Day 12

Started out great! Found this golden home dome that has to belong to Regis Philbin.

001.JPG

Next we were on to Fairbanks, and had great weather. Then we hit the haul road.

002.JPG

As you can see the mud and slop is a once in a life time ride.

But after 60 miles of mud and slop we were once again on nice pavement. Later, when on the bad stuff mud is when that pipe truck hit the bridge, up popped the expansion joint, and down we went. I had on my safety gear, so no hide at all ripped from my body. I can't say the same for Nana Chou. She didn't fair as good as I did. A nice lady in a pickup truck, picked me up off the roadway and carried me to the hospital in Fairbanks. I don't even know who this nice lady was, but she was heaven sent. Nana was still lying on the haul road the last I saw her.

The hospital put my shoulder back into socket, and a few young fellows were going back to look for Nana. I'll let you know something on her condition as soon as I know.8.jpg

smileyAccident.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
But after 60 miles of mud and slop we were once again on nice pavement. When on the good stuff is when I hit the hole, and down we went. I had on my safety gear, so no hide at all ripped from my body. I can't say the same for Nana Chou. She didn't fair as good as I did. A nice lady in a pickup truck, picked me up off the roadway and carried me to the hospital in Fairbanks. I don't even know who this nice lady was, but she was heaven sent. Nana was still lying on the haul road the last I saw her.

The hospital put my shoulder back into socket, and a few young fellows were going back to look for Nana. I'll let you know something on her condition as soon as I know.

Auuuugh! :eek: Oh, man, I hope everything works out ok!

OCR, I made your "Little Help" thread a sticky up at the very top of the page for now, so it doesn't get lost down in the shuffle, ok? Fingers crossed for ya, mate!

Oh man so sorry for you! Hope Nana is ok and you heal up fast. Some friends were just up that way in Homer and that area. Their youngest son just moved up that way and they were visiting him. Prayers sent.

OCR, I'm happy to hear no broken bones. Anytime you land on a shoulder the Clavicle is usually the first to pop :-( Hope you find the bike in decent shape. Also hope you can resume your trip!

Sorry, OCR!
Even though a dislocation is very painful, I am glad you are OK otherwise!!!! Let's hope the bike turns out better than you think it is. Good luck!!!!

Sorry about the accident. Glad you're not badly hurt and hope the bike will be fine too.

Get well soon

Chris

Back