• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Adventures of Nana Chou - A Texas Butter Goes Alaskan

Old Can Ride

Reaction score
Visit site
8.jpgWe finally got off to Alaska yesterday.

1st Day

Could not have drawn a more perfect ride. Road old highway 90 most of the way, was great! Stopped in Pecos, Texas that night. 605 miles total.

282.jpg

2nd Day

Started off great. The Davis mountain range. Nana handled these mountains with ease. Completely across the 850 miles of Texas went great.

284.jpg

New Mexico, and Arizona praying for rain. HOT could not describe the heat. I had on so much sun tan cream on that it was flying off of me and getting on the bags.

Like that heat ain't bad enough. No Mr. Murphy sends in his unbelievable reinforcements, dust storms. You can't even see the taillights of the car in front of you. Traffic going the other direction all have their lights on, you can't see them. If you stop, the guy behind you runs over you, if you keep going you run into the guy in front of you. Every place on your body and the bike are covered in sand. Your not breathing right, but neither is the bike. Your both spiting and coughing. And that stuff that use to be suntan cream, that which is on your body is now sandpaper. And now after hearing NORTWESTRIDER current problems, I have full confidence that Mr. Murphy intends to wash out the roads and bridges in Alaska with me on them.

I have tried to send the pictures, but for some reason this just ain't happening right now, I'll try again later. Did not take pictures in the dust storm, because all there was to see in any direction is sand..

Does anyone have a Mr. Murphy VooDoo Doll? Can I borrow it?

smileysmug.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry about that, man! Let's hope you've seen the worst on your trip!
Do I see a new air filter in your near future? :)

Day 3

Got up early (4:30 AM) cleaned the K&N air filter (glad I had a K&N that could be cleaned on the move) and still have to oil the chain. Will get a shower and we will be riding out of Tucson, AZ. California Hwy 1 here we come.6.jpg

SmileyHugeEyesandTeeth.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
Yikes, just noticed this now. You don't hang about, do ya OCR? I hadn't thought you were going to take off for a while yet.

Best wishes for an awesome trip! ;)

If you pass through town and need anything, just let me know. I'll do my best to try and help.

Darn you are packed up I guess you are camping and took the kitchen sink with you. Reminds me of these Harley's we saw just south of Fairbanks at Skinny Dick's Inn Five of them heading back to Florida they had just cleaned bikes in Fairbanks.
P1010886.jpg
Good luck keep up the ride reports.

Day 3

While putting gas in the bike this morning we met Carlos Gomez. Nana Chou and Carlos started talking in Japanese. Carlos is Japanese? Only in the USA, what a melting pot!

085.jpg

Soon we were on the road leaving Tucson Arizona. We weren't very far outside of Tucson when I saw a very unusual retire home, AMARC, the world's largest aircraft retirement home. The reason AMARC is located here, is that Tucson has a dry, arid environment year round. There are 4,200 aircraft retired here. Weird, to see an airport with such a large runway, where nothing is flying.

Back on the road we soon meet Dallas Kahler Harley. He pulled up next to us on the interstate riding his Harley Davidson motorcycle, wearing his German style helmet and Texas tan cowboy boots that came up to his knees. Got to love it! He road with us for about 50 miles before get

We were dead center in the desert when we got off for gas at “Desert Center”. Even though there is a gas sign on the interstate, there ain’t no gas. As a matter of fact, there ain’t no Desert Center. Looks like the entire town went under recently. I pulled into the deserted Desert Center gas station, and filled up with the extra 3 gallons I carry. Sure glad I had the extra gas or we could have become part of this ghost town. It is so hot here that even the picture is wilted.

087.JPG

By days end we had made it to Oceanside Ca., goodby to the desert and interstate!2.jpg

SmileyGroovy.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
Day 4

The Pacific Coast Highway! Sort of like riding Route 66, its stops and starts and you got to connect the dots.

First stop was Oceanside. Lots of sail boats.

001.jpg
002.jpg

Next was Newport. These folks are known for the high dollar autos that they drive. Lots of Mercedes Benz, Maserati, Ferrari, Bentley, Roll Royce, and a lot more. But this one is the auto that caught my eye!

003.jpg

Newport has some exclusive beaches, also. Nana saw this beach sign and soon we were there.

004.jpg

Exclusive high dollar parking at the beach! What is it about parking signs?

Newport also has this place where they do exclusive digestive research at.

005.jpg

Newport is a high dollar town.

Next was Long Beach. Long Beach is a down to earth blue collar all American town. Americans are no longer manufacture products, we are now importers.

006.jpg

One of the streets in Long Beach would make you think you are in Japan with Toyota building, Nissian building, Yamaha building, and Mazda building all lined up in a row. Honda is not here, but it is in the next town, Torrance.

Next after Torrance comes Los Angles.

Lots of nice beaches in LA. First came Redondo Beach.

007.jpg

The longest LA beach is off the end of LA X airport, so you can lay back in the sun at the beach, look up, and watch and listen to the jumbo jets take off and land.

008.jpg

Lots of sail boats in LA.

009.jpg

Then there is Venice Beach?

010.jpg

After Venice you leave LA and enter Malibu.

011.jpg

I did not see any famous stars in Malibu, but I did see a nice fishing pier.

012.jpg

When you get to Oxnard the Pacific Hwy (Hwy 1) turns into Hwy 101. Stop for the night about 100 miles short of San Francisco. So, day four with great weather comes to an end.6.jpg

SmileyBubble.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
Back