• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Adventures of Nana Chou - A Texas Butter Goes Alaskan

Great ride report! Do yourself a favor. If you are at a meal time when you get to Big Sur, stop at Napenthe for a burger. The food is excellent and the view from the back deck is outstanding! Have a great time!

Edit: Nevermind. I misunderstood your last post. You're obviously north of Big Sur. Great reason for another trip down the road...

Last edited:
Loving the trip so far! Wish I were on a great adventure like yours. Biggest drive I had was moving from Southern California (East of Palm Springs) to Portland Oregon, but I drove past all the good stuff at night and saw nothing. What I did see was breath taking! Just wait to you head further north - Northern California and Oregon are beautiful! I lived in Portland for 5 or so years, and loved every one of them, still miss Portland to this day.

Enjoy your trip and stay safe!

DAY 5

Started the morning at the Golden Gate Bridge

001.jpg

Someone put up one of those No Parking signs. Nana thought it nice of them to save her a parking spot.

002.jpg

Next came the Redwood Forest. We looked for Little Red Riding Hood, but could not find her.
She must have gone riding.

003.jpg

Of all things, it started raining. So, Nana found covered parking in the Redwood Forest.

We camped in the Redwood Forest camp ground next to the road in the tree.0.jpg

SmileyEyeBrows.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
Day 6

Shortly after leaving the Redwood Forest, we found ourselves in the land of the mighty ducks, Oregon.

004.jpg
005.jpg
007.jpg
008.jpg

Lots of coast on Hwy 101

009.jpg

But did you know there are dunes in Oregon.

009.jpg

Rented me a ATV at the place next to the KOA camp ground, and Nana did not see me for the rest of the day. Spent the night at the Dunes KOA.1.jpg

SmileyPerfect.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
Nice update and great pics!
Hadn't heard from you in a couple of days...thought I was gonna hafta go looking for ya!!! Go ahead...twist my arm! lol

!

Day 7

On the road again, found us at the got to have lighthouse picture you see in every Pacific Coast story ever written. However, we got a new twist here. My family coat of arms is the three crows. I give you one guess who showed up for this shot, in the middle, the family crow.

011.jpg

This entire town was washed from the face of the earth by one big wave.

013.jpg

They rebuilt

012.jpg

A lot of folks come to Wale City to watch the wales. This place was packed with people just wanting to look at those big fish.

015.jpg

But Nana had a big idea on how to catch those big fish! A real sportsman that girl.

014.jpg

From here we went on to Washington State. Saw the space needle. Then on to the boarder, time at the Canada boarder was only 20 minutes, so we are now in Canada. Spent the night in Hope. Sure hope this goes well.8.jpg

SmileyPurfectMouthEyes.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
Day 8

In Canada I saw snow melt on the top of a mountain that spelled my daughter's name. |

016.jpg

White water was next to us, on one side or the other the entire way, but the best part of today was awaiting at the camp ground. The owner "Dave" is a true biker. Check out Dave's bikes. They all still ride.

017.jpg
020.jpg
018.jpg
019.jpg

Good night from Canada.9.jpg

SmileyBigEyeGlasses.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
OCR, what great photos and narratives. I'm heading to Nova Scotia next month but you inspired me to go west next summer! Cant wait for your next report!

Day 9

After spending the night with the Velocette motorcycle brothers, Nana Chou was right next to impossible to force to leave the camp ground this morning.

002.jpg

We got back on BC 16 with the white water still flowing. BC 16 is next to the river the entire way.

006.jpg

Well, after a short time we rolled into Houston?

houston.jpg

Not Texas, this is Houston, B.C.. A fellow on a Yamaha Vstar pulled up next to us, and he told us this place is famous for fly fishing. Never done that before, so Nana found us a fly fishing pole.

009.jpg

For some reason, the folks here wouldn't lend us their fly fishing pole. Heck, we could have covered the entire river with that pole.

So we where off again on BC16. But soon we were stopped in our tracks, or maybe it was their tracks.

003.jpg

Soon the train went pass, and once again we were on our way. But, real soon we had to get off of BC16, because this here sign told us to.

007.jpg

So, we made a right turn just like the sign said to do. A short way down this road, I saw my first moose. He was dead, looked like road kill from some 18 wheeler. But the moose was not our problem. However, the big black bear who was sitting in the middle of the roadway eating the moose did not take to kindly to us disrupting his meal. So. Nana put into high gear and we got around that situation fast. A short time later more road kill in the middle of the roadway. This time a black wolf was chowing down on a coon. He gave us a real mean look, then left the roadway with his dinner. I figured we had best get us a home for the night before we became some animals road kill dinner. So, we stopped at Meziadin Lake for an end to day 9.4.jpg

smileyHappyEyes.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
I think you meant Meziadin Lake. Really a nice deserted route you are taking. I know what you mean by the bears be careful. Hoping you turn towards Hyder hope to see a picture of Bear Glacier. Some of the pictures did not come through , but it might be my problem I am camping. Good luck

We are not going on any preset route.
I really do not even like having a destination.
I never been to the artic ocean, just thought I would like to see it. So, we are just riding in that direction. Stop and ask folks for directions now and then, more of a ride like this. Town we are now in is called Tok. Good thing she knew, because I didn't, because I ain't got no map!7.jpg

SmileyTwoThumbs.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
Back