• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Aftermarket windscreen melted my dash panel :-(

I have a MSA screen that's smoked, that I highly doubt would damage anything. It is really more of a deflector screen than windscreen. I like some breeze. My work allows the bikes to park near the building and I track where the sun ends up when I get off, so I am in the shade as much as possible.

A couple years ago I designed this makeshift cover to protect my instrument panel from the sun. I don't know if it protects against the magnified laser beam of aftermarket windscreens, but it's held up in the Florida sun, wind, and rain. I hand stitched it out of a two layers of thick denim-like material and a cut milk jug for rigidity. Easy to keep in the frunk for whenever you need it. Just an idea for you folks.

IMG_0439.jpgIMG_0440.jpgIMG_0443.jpgIMG_0441.jpgIMG_0442.jpg

A couple years ago I designed this makeshift cover to protect my instrument panel from the sun. I don't know if it protects against the magnified laser beam of aftermarket windscreens, but it's held up in the Florida sun, wind, and rain. I hand stitched it out of a two layers of thick denim-like material and a cut milk jug for rigidity. Easy to keep in the frunk for whenever you need it. Just an idea for you folks.

Thanks for sharing your good idea.

I run a CTX700nd and I'm on my second instrument panel melt now. Honda don't want to replace it this time. I've been riding for 50 years and never heard of such a thing. Last bike was a WEE and after 100,000 miles, and 7 years, with a Givi windscreen, never a problem with melting plastic. The solution for Honda, would be to extend the cover over the instrument panel, about 2 1/2" over the panel. Called Honda at 1 866 784 1870 to report this. If everyone would do this it could get the ball rolling for a modification. I've been the only one to call so far. The customer service rep told me to put the word out.
Thanks.

I'm amazed Honda replaced the first one. It's not the bike's fault, if an aftermarket windscreen focuses the suns rays in an entirely different fashion than the OEM one does, and then causes damage!

All you have to do is google and find a whole bunch of people with melted dashes from all brands of motorcycles, that had installed aftermarket windscreens.

Puig Windscreen Melted My Dash - NO JOKE

Who Is Responsible For My Melted Dash? [Archive] - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

givi + madstad = melted dash - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums

Puig Windscreen Melting the dash!?! - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

Dash melted by Givi windscreen??? [Archive] - Kawasaki Versys Forum

http://f800riders.org/forum/showthr...le-had-stopped-melting-the-dash.......wrong-(

I just carry an old pillow case in the frunk, picked up some tiny bungees at the dollar store to hold it on the windshield if it's too windy. I actually switched back to stock for the summer, not enough wind gets by in the heat for me.

It's the ctx700ND so I have to have an after market screen. I'm using the Puig touring.

So call Puig and ***** at them......it's their issue. Let's us know how that goes..............don't think there going to be sending you a check for two dash panels :rolleyes::rolleyes:.( guessing they will tell you .......too bad.....go pound sand) .

Last edited:
you can't go and blame manufacture for this.
any bits of plastic turned at an angle can be used as a magnifying glass against the sun will burn anything that is combustible.
like I've said before you need to spray paint bottom bit of the screen,enough to cover the surrounding clock area.
if you got a flat tyre and found a nail in it are you going to complain to the tyre manufacture? of course not.

if you got a flat tyre and found a nail in it are you going to complain to the tyre manufacture? of course not.

Some people do though! That's the really tough part to comprehend when dealing with people and their view of the world, sometimes. There can be absolutely mind blowing attitudes, that you have no hope of arguing with or understanding :eek:

Not that I don't feel sorry for the guy and it sucks that he had it happen. I have no wish to add insult to his injury, but IMHO his belief that it's Honda's fault somehow, I doubt we will be able to change. Likely he will be pissed off, and go away in a huff like the others have done when confronted with replies they don't want to hear. :confused: :(

Back