• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

And then I was tumbling down the freeway

calbigbird

Reaction score
Visit site
On Tuesday night, I was riding home on the 91 Freeway in So. Cal. I was going about 65 MPH when I was rear ended and knocked down. I had no idea I had a problem until I was tumbling down the freeway. When I stopped tumbling I was near the right side of the road, but thought I was still in a traffic lane, so I made myself roll out of the lane and toward the right shoulder. I managed to get there without getting hit again. Whoever hit me continued down the road, as did everyone else. I took personal inventory and got off the ground to call for help. My bike ended up on the right shoulder about another 40 - 50 yards down the road. I think the bike is a total loss.

All of that to bring me to a couple observations. First, I was wearing a Tour Master textile 3/4 length jacket. It performed marvelously. The jacket is shredded, but I have no road rash in any area covered by the jacket. Can't say as much for my blue jeans. I have significant road rash on both knees. Looks like the textile pants or the motorcycle blue jeans I have been thinking about might have been a wise purchase.

I was wearing an HJC modular helmet. The helmet worked very well but for one area. Sometime during my rolling and tumbling (I think) the release button must have been hit and the chin bar released and opened. (I distinctly remember seeing and feeling the roadway up close and wondering where the front of my helmet was.) As a result, I have road rash on my nose and chin. I have no idea if this is a common problem, or a fluke in my crash. My next helmet will probably be a solid full face, not a modular.

All in all I faired very well. I have some road rash, two broken toes and a very sore shoulder. I am walking talking and complaining, but it could have easily been much worse. God was truly watching over me last Tuesday night.

I believe in ATGATT, but never took the time to purchase proper pants. My bad. Had I been wearing better pants and my helmet not opened up, my injuries would have been even more minor.

Just food for thought. Everyone be careful out there and evaluate what you wear while riding. It IS important.

Craig

wow... I am glad you survived to tell the story. It could be much much worse. So the driver never stopped? Any witness stopped to help out? Can't imagine people just kept going when an accident like this happened... :(

You walked away.....nuff said. But I'll say more anyway.
The guy that hit you will get his one day. What I can't figure out is why everyone else just kept on going?
That would not have happened around here.

It's good to have good gear. Great to hear that you are ok, and I hope things aren't so bad for your bike. But as others have said, how can someone do this and then just drive on??!!

Glad you're ok. Kevlar jeans are the way to go. i don't understand people who don't stop, crazy world we live in. I've thought about getting a modular, think I will be sticking with my full face helmet.

Are you absolutely sure you were rear ended? I cannot imagine someone would not stop after this...

Thank you for sharing your experience. I'm glad you faired as well as you did and hope you have a speedy recovery. I recently had a similar experience with jeans vs. asphalt. No contest. Will your insurance cover everything?

Being rear-ended on a highway is probably my number one fear when travelling on said roads, especialy when its dark.

I'm glad to hear you walked with no serious injuries, and I wish you and your bike a speedy recovery.

So far this year I have had more close calls than ever before. All of them involving cages not paying attention. People on cell phones, texting and driving, speeding and in my area just to much traffic for the roads. I now plan my trips around back roads and my joy riding early in the morning on weekends. It's just to dangerous to share the road with idiots in cars.

Glad you escaped with minimal injuries!

I'm glad to hear you came out of this alive. Did you notify the CHP? You're the victim of 20001(a) CVC -- Felony hit and run.

Nobody stopped? WOW! That's both sad and scary. Glad you're ok. Like also mentioned, I hope you notified CH and or other authorities. And yeah, us ATGATT's get joked at by the sandals, shorts, and t-shirt crowd, until one them gets hit. That is, if that person actually has the coconuts to actually get back on a bike again.
Get well and back on 2 wheels soon!All the best...

Glad you came out of it so so well. Rolling and tumbling down the freeway at 65 mph is no joke, even with ATGATT. You are making me rethink my modular helmet. I hope karma gets that SOB. You could be dead for all that idiot driver knows.

About 5 years ago, I got to talk to a guy that worked for Snell(the helmet evaluation guys). I asked him about modular helmets. His immediate answer was that no modular helmets had ever been given to them for an "official" evaluation. When i pressed him about it, he stated "unofficially" every one they had tested popped open on impact. Glad you are relatively O.K. Bikes can be replaced. We cannot.

Thanks for all our well wishes.

Yes I am sue I was hit from the rear. I was on clean flat pavement when I went down. The rear tire still has air and the tail pieces are bent in and forward.

Talked to my insurance company yesterday. They took possession of the bike for evaluation of repair. To tell the truth, I am not quite sure I want that copy back. Difficult to see any frame, tire or rim damage at this point. Because of my "uninsured motorist" clause in the policy, it looks like they will be taking care of my medical bills as well.

I'm on the mend. I will be fine as soon as the road rash starts to heal. Right now it is very irritating.

Ride safe.

I'm glad to hear you came out of this alive. Did you notify the CHP? You're the victim of 20001(a) CVC -- Felony hit and run.

Thanks for the thought agia. CHP was the first call I made from the side of the road. I know all about Felony hit and run - I was a motor cop for 15 years, and a police motorcycle instructor for over 10. Unfortunately the roadway was dark in the area where I got hit and I don't think there are any cameras on that stretch anyway. Oh well, at least I'm here to complain about it. I'm not going to dwell on whoever hit me, etc. The main thrust of my rant at the beginning of this was to describe my experiences with my equipment. If anyone can benefit from my description, I am content. Ride safe

Yes, AGATT, including moto designed pants. I'm glad your alive and will recover, and just fuming over the fact that people can hit someone and drive off, and others can continue on as if nothing ever happened. Society has gone to crap.

Sorry to hear about the accident. Glad you are ok. I feel your pain. Went I went down a few years ago before getting the NC, I was only wearing jeans and a mesh riding jacket. Jean's went away very quickly! I still have the scars from the road rash on my legs and on my stomach where the jacket rode up while I was sliding. I too had a modular helmet but initial impact was on the back so it stayed closed. It's a crappy thing to have to go through, but like you said thankful that you are alive and going to heal from your injuries. Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Back