• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Another cheap DIY windshield extension

What about using an old helmet face shield for the lexan, anyone tried that?

they quite a bit expensive. and all my visors are in a pretty good shape after 10 years of usage on shoei rf800. imo-there is no need for that. piece of lexan big enough for extension cost about $4.5 at home depot. regular plexiglass is $3.5. and use a large trash bin as a form for bending.

like i said-because of this specific form this extension gives me 3" more inches on top piug screen and wind just flow over my head. even when windshield is installed on lower settings. i'm 5.9'. not only there is no wind,also-there is no bugs on helmet visor anymore. as i said before-when i have time i'm going to stop by at local wholesale plastic factory and maybe they can cut some for me at decent price,so i can pass it to the forum members. if we didn't agree on factory-then i will try to cut it myself using various techniques. i love the material and like to work with it. i even installed 'add ons' out on some of my house windows out of plexiglass. no more street noise and temps now higher in that room by at least 3-5F during cold nights:)

VE258
What have you determined to be the best clamp? I saw your post with the camera clamp as well as the clamp in this thread, which is your favorite so far.?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

they both hold the extension very well, but both require few tweaks. quick release clamp-you have to cut it,then using tap set make those threads further. on other one- to increase the area of the clamp i have fill it with bondo epoxy. both very time consuming. if those cutters at factory can cut thick acrylic(1/4 inch or so)-i would rather cut U shape clamp from it, make few holes with threads on each side and use regular socket screws
it will look much nicer,cleaner. i'm going to to try that later, with goal to create something that look factory made.

Metric-Socket-Head-Cap-Screw-Stainless-Black-Oxide.jpg

with something like piece of clear sticky rubber on the end. ones that they sell for a furniture legs at hardware stores.

this one(out of 4$ piece of lexan) took me less than 30 min to produce(that include 'baking',bending etc)

97b83fc5b8d0.jpg

it sits on M6 bolts now

e4f16ac63fd1.jpg

but as i said i'm going to use this

ff65ae28201e.jpg

i just need a shorter size.

those are my tools(seriously) to shape it after the cut

d0713a0a2261.jpg

and final look

3abd3c4586e7.jpg

finally i'm completely satisfied with the results(look and performance),but i might come back and work a bit more on mounts(that extension is sit on), to make it even more 'factory' made.
wind deflectors are next

So maybe I missed it, but did you make the clamps out of the same lexan the windshield extension is made of?

Yes.that was my initial idea.to keep them 'transparent', see trough. I did made those clamps out of aluminum, but I like the acrylic better

Great project

Great idea and work-up. I'll be one of your first buyers!
I like the shape,, but have you thought about the ability of the rider to adjust the height or angle of the visor? It would appeal to a wider range of buyers. Maybe a row of parallel mounting holes aligned on each side of the visor would allow the buyer to mount the visor at the optimum height. Since the Puig Touring screen is 1st or 2nd in popularity, you should have a built in customer base, Good luck and keep up the development work.

this one(out of 4$ piece of lexan) took me less than 30 min to produce(that include 'baking',bending etc)

97b83fc5b8d0.jpg

it sits on M6 bolts now

e4f16ac63fd1.jpg

but as i said i'm going to use this

ff65ae28201e.jpg

i just need a shorter size.

those are my tools(seriously) to shape it after the cut

d0713a0a2261.jpg

and final look

3abd3c4586e7.jpg

Alternatives if you are NOT handy?

and final look

3abd3c4586e7.jpg

Very similar in shape and function to the Puig Visor and the Wunderlich wind deflectors. But less expensive, especially if you are handy like VE258!
[Wunderlich ($129.00) on the left, Puig ($59.00) on the right]

Attachments

• 8110024.jpg
    8110024.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 886
  • GetAttachment-1.aspx.jpeg
    GetAttachment-1.aspx.jpeg
    14.5 KB · Views: 1,076
Last edited:
Back