• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Any concerns buying a NEW 5-year old NC700X?

monktues

Reaction score
Visit site
After tracking down 28 ads for a new DCT model, I found one that is available and California compliant.

It's a 2013 model with 222 miles on it.

Besides changing the brake fluid and oil, any other concerns about buying a 5-year old new motorcycle?

At 5 years age, you’ll want to start off with a fresh battery. I get about 8 years out of batteries, but you have no idea how this one was treated.

2013 was a good year. There were never any recalls issued for that model year.

Last edited:
Just make sure you a get a big discount. Basically this engine did not run. This is not very good. Corrosion (depends on storage conditions), seals getting dry, deposits in fluids. Also get new tires put on, manufacturers recommand 6 years max for bike tires (rubber looses qualities over time, whatever the mileage).

And yes oil, brake fluid and coolant will all need to be changed. And gas drained too.

So yeah a big discount.

At 5 years age, you’ll want to start off with a fresh battery. I get about 8 years out of batteries, but you have no idea how this one was treated.

Any issues with using the battery that's in it until it starts to give problems? Could it damage the alternator?

Any issues with using the battery that's in it until it starts to give problems? Could it damage the alternator?

No problem using the existing battery until it dies. It will work until it doesn’t.

I would recommend with the first few tanks of gas, run an engine treatment through it, such as Seafoam, just to help clean things out a bit. Heck, I try to run Seafoam through mine every 10th tank of gas or so. Especially if I haven't been able to use non-ethanol gas. Which fortunately I have access to some at two stations here where I live.

So yeah a big discount.

I don't care so much about the price since it's the ONLY new DCT model I can find in all of America that I can register in California. (And I had budgeted for a new Zero but was scared off by potential reliability/customer service issues). I just don't want to get a bike that will need lots of repairs or won't be as reliable as a more recent bike. With 220 miles on it, it sounds like it has been ridden a bit but I don't know how often.

If I do buy it, I'll definitely change the fluids and I'll probably ask for new tires or (better) a discount so I can buy new ones--so thanks for all the suggestions.

If I don't buy it, I'll either have to wait for the summer to get a new NC750X DCT ($8500?) or just get an Africa Twin DCT now ($13,000?). Decisions, decisions...

I don't care so much about the price since it's the ONLY new DCT model I can find in all of America that I can register in California. (And I had budgeted for a new Zero but was scared off by potential reliability/customer service issues). I just don't want to get a bike that will need lots of repairs or won't be as reliable as a more recent bike. With 220 miles on it, it sounds like it has been ridden a bit but I don't know how often.

If I do buy it, I'll definitely change the fluids and I'll probably ask for new tires or (better) a discount so I can buy new ones--so thanks for all the suggestions.

If I don't buy it, I'll either have to wait for the summer to get a new NC750X DCT ($8500?) or just get an Africa Twin DCT now ($13,000?). Decisions, decisions...

Sounds like a good deal, Pull the Trigger, grab it and enjoy the ride!! :{)

If the bike was stored inside ........I would have no reservations on buying a 5 year old bike.

Battery is likely bad unless it was charged often
Oil and coolant would not be real concern.
Bad gas possible.

Last edited:
OK then, if buying from a pro get them to change fluids (and oil filters), tires, battery and offer a warranty in case something happens (like a leak or clogged injector). If not a pro then avoid it.

Three reasons to go for it:
1. It’s a Honda
2. It has a warranty (you said it was NEW)
3. It’s a HONDA

:cool:

How much are we talking about?
If it was me again, I would go for AT directly.
Why?

One reason I sold my 5.5 yr (17000km) NC700x is because the inner tensioner broke and that cost me $1000 to repair. Another reason was it started to have starting problems (electronics or some Gremlins) and finally it became boring to ride. I lost confidence in MY NC700x. Maybe it's just me.

So....not every Honda is good.

Be objective.
I am.
Now I ride a GSA.... wonderful machine. No comparison.

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

Heck, if you budgeted for a Zero, go buy the new African....
If the bike is in a showroom/dealer, I personally wouldn't not worry about most of the fluids (oil change-yep, have them change that-the first oil change is at 600 miles anyways).
Heck, I have an 11 year old C50 Boulevard with original coolant and it ran like a top last summer-oh it also has oem brake fluid (only has front disc-rear is drum) and fluid as of last night when I looked at it was clear...it has been on a battery tender on a lift since November-flat rear tire and I have been putting $$ in other things since then). Battery may or may need changed. I have a 2009 Kawasaki KLX250sf I keep in storage in Florida (no electricity in shed-thus no battery tender), bought new in 2011, and I just had to replace the battery last Thanksgiving-so it went 8 years with no special treatment and the bike started every time after pulling out of shed (every 4-6 months since Feb 2011).
I agree with Red Rider, if the bike is at a dealer, and it has never been registered with another buyer, the bike would be considered new for warranty purposes for a year. If at a dealer and has 222 miles on it-they probably used it as a demo/test ride bike.
NADA has the value of the bike as avg retail of $5395 and low retail of $4100, so price within this range would be acceptable. These are just my opinions/experience-so no flaming please.

Now we are replacing the tires!!! No way...........I assuming we are not taking the bike to track days :D

And thinking the bike might have a one in million failure or hidden gremlins.............not likely. There many bikes far more famous for expensive early and often repairs especially electrical and failure of drive line components.

Last edited:
Now we are replacing the tires!!! No way...........I assuming we are not taking the bike to track days :D

And thinking the bike might have a one in million failure or hidden gremlins.............not likely.
Yea, if in a dealership, I wouldn't consider changing tires. Heck the above mentioned klx still has original tires (I only get it out of storage when I go to florida 2-3 times a year and it only has 4500 miles on it now). Just checked the tires/rode the bike for couple hundred miles this past March, no dry rot-no cracking...
Just look at the tires and if no cracking-should be good to go.

I'll either have to wait for the summer to get a new NC750X DCT ($8500?) or just get an Africa Twin DCT now ($13,000?). Decisions, decisions...

I passed on the new 2013 DCT and got a 2017 Africa Twin DCT. I found a dealer with a great price and couldn't pass it up. It's more bike than I need (i.e. NC700X), but I could afford it and it handles a lot better than I expected for the size.

Now I just have to find an Africa Twin forum as good as this one (I'm not holding my breath!). Here are my thoughts so far:

africatwinforum.com: lots of good information but posts for new users are moderated. I posted my second post on Sunday and it still hasn't shown up two days later!

africatwin.org: my favorite so far, but doesn't seem to have as many users/info as the one above

advrider.com: not AT specific and there seems to be a lot of bike bashing and competition among different brands (but I haven't looked at it too much yet)

You guys have been great. Thanks for letting me be part of your community while I was shopping around for an NC700X DCT.

"5.5 year...17000 km..."

Be objective.
I am.
Now I ride a GSA.... wonderful machine. No comparison.

Objective. Yaaaaa, I don't really think so Happy. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that- but I'm not convinced one can be entirely objective when it comes to wanting or owning any motorcycle. ;)

You've had your new BMW for about 850-ish kilometres so far?

Maybe get back to us after at least 17,000 Km's have passed. (hopefully before another 5.5 years go by)

I think I was still enjoying my BMW after only 850 kilometres had been put on it, too. After that? Not so much, lol.

Objective. Yaaaaa, I don't really think so Happy. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that- but I'm not convinced one can be entirely objective when it comes to wanting or owning any motorcycle. ;)

You've had your new BMW for about 850-ish kilometres so far?

Maybe get back to us after at least 17,000 Km's have passed. (hopefully before another 5.5 years go by)

I think I was still enjoying my BMW after only 850 kilometres had been put on it, too. After that? Not so much, lol.
1600km...
[emoji41]
Yes we praise what we ride. Period.
Objective my arse.

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

Seems like the longer anyone owns a bike the more objective they tend to be. Probably because we are trying to farkle it to make it more of what we want or we are looking around at the greener pastures to suite the current needs, mood, or thoughts about riding. I think if everyone had the room and budget for a stable full of bikes we would probably all own several to mix and match the mood for the day. LOL Sadly that can be quite hard to do and trying to make "one bike" do it all is wishful thinking. :)

Congrats to the OP on the new AT!

Back