• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Any Musicians On Here?

Yes, The Who were pretty good, as good as I've seen them in recent times, they had a nice song selection and I liked how they brought in the Keith Moon footage.

Kanye may send me to bed, yawn.

I was just in a High School corps in the late 1960's that did not perform outside Alabama. VK? I'm impressed!!! Velvet Knights were a big deal. I saw them at the CYO Nationals in Boston in 1970. They finished top ten but were very unhappy to be topped by the Kingsmen. Lots of rivalry there as I understand. I also saw them later in Birmingham, AL (late seventies). I liked the older military style more than the newer cutsey stuff. When were you a member?

The last competitive fling was just before I went in the Army in 70. I did march with the Kingsmen Alumni Corps in 2007. We did an exhibition for DCI semi finals at the Rose Bowl. Saw guys I hadn't seen since the 60's. I sort of remember the 60's. I agree with the style of the corps now. I like the traditional stuff.

Tuba and Great Highland Bagpipe player here. Played tuba throughout high school and college and have continued playing through the years. Currently play in two wind bands, my church orchestra, and a German band, with an occasional quartet or quintet gig. Started on the pipes about a year ago - much harder than I envisioned, but that makes the reward all the greater. Big fan of drum corps (especially SCV!), but never marched myself. Try to make a couple of shows each year.

So, on a side note, I miss a lot of good opportunities to ride to work because I've got my tuba with me for an after-work rehearsal or performance. The NC holds a great deal of stuff, but not quite a tuba. :)

-Payne

So, on a side note, I miss a lot of good opportunities to ride to work because I've got my tuba with me for an after-work rehearsal or performance. The NC holds a great deal of stuff, but not quite a tuba. :)

-Payne

Does it make you wish you played the piccolo? My favorite corps these days is Top Secret (In Happy's back yard)...

[video=youtube;AFkf100EuvQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFkf100EuvQ&playnext=1&list=PL928B4A51867C2E62[/video]

No bugles or pipes though.

Does it make you wish you played the piccolo? My favorite corps these days is Top Secret (In Happy's back yard)...

[video=youtube;AFkf100EuvQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFkf100EuvQ&playnext=1&list=PL928B4A51867C2E62[/video]

No bugles or pipes though.
Aha....now you know our secret.....

TBH, I did not know these exist. Every year we have Faschtnacht festival, and there are literally hundreds of drummers (not so tidy though).
:D

Do you play an instrument? Favorite music you play? Better yet, in a band? Gig?

I goof around on the drums. Would love to get good enough some day to play live but I'm still in that awkward learning phase. Thankfully my kit is electric so I don't have to disturb the neighbors. I played around on the guitar and piano for a few years too, but decided I need to concentrate on one instrument to get really good at it. So, I sold everything but my drums. Here's my kit:

wgwgoldwing-albums-misc-picture2001-dsc4586.jpg

I really like the drum styles and music of Phil Collins, Peter Gabriel, Pink Floyd, and Tool. I should probably just bite the bullet and take some lessons, but I just haven't done it yet.

WGW

It depends on your definition of musician. I play the recorder, which my accordionist friend likes to tell me is not a musical instrument. I usually have an accordion joke for him. I am completely self taught, both with the instrument and with music, so am not very accomplished, and am what one might call rhythmically challenged. Still I enjoy playing at the level I can. I have an entire consort (soprano, alto, tenor, base) so can go from screechy high to mellow low. Interestingly, the dog leaves the room when I play the lower pitched instruments. I play (should say, try to play) mostly Celtic and early music. Needless to say I won't be jamming with any pickup groups!

I'm more along the lines of Tromba...
I did my undergrad in music performance and have studied privately since then. I freelance on the horn in DC, Richmond, and NYC. I commute to and from rehearsals and gigs with my horn on my back all the time.
I also own/owned a classical record label. (I say "owned" since I'm kinda getting out of the biz). These ladies are on my label:
Genghis Barbie

Back