• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Any one notice idling issues

Badger

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello all,

recently am noticing that my NC DCT version is not smoothly idling as in with the full throttle down the RPM jumps a bar over 1 and then down again every 10 seconds or so. Its really a very tiny fluctuation in RPM but nonetheless is there and kind of annoying. Has anyone come across this and is this just a characteristic of this new type of engine? would love to hear some thoughts if any of you have noticed it.

Everytime I park my car, my NCX is sitting there idling. It is AN ISSUE!

When will WARM weather come back here?

Seriously though, there is little idling issues for my NCX. It is electronic injection, if I did not read the specs wrongly. That should take care of any idling speed mixture. Also I went to 2000m with this bike with little or no change in the power. So the injection must be working correctly.
In cold weather and cold starts, the idling will be a little higher at first but then go back to normal after the engine warms up.

Hope this helps.
Now, don't be idle, go out and ride your bike!
:p

Hello all,

recently am noticing that my NC DCT version is not smoothly idling as in with the full throttle down the RPM jumps a bar over 1 and then down again every 10 seconds or so. Its really a very tiny fluctuation in RPM but nonetheless is there and kind of annoying. Has anyone come across this and is this just a characteristic of this new type of engine? would love to hear some thoughts if any of you have noticed it.

Haven't noticed, but will watch for it and let you know.

maybe I am being a bit pedantic but there is definitely a slight fluctuation in my NC rpm on idle, literally up and down one bar every 10 seconds. If anyone notice this please shout up!

I've noticed a slight variance when I start up and let the bike warm up for a couple of minutes. Don't pay attention to it once I'm riding; my mind is more occupied with what is happening around me. Haven't noticed any issues once I'm riding. The engine runs great. I just figured the slight variation is how the bike runs.

I have the same thing on my 2006 Wing... Once the engine is warm and I come to a stop, it's flactuating up and down, up and down.....not much but constantly...
Some wings do it and some don't. Mechanics say "it's normal"... (Don't we love that answer...)
Seems to be a similar situation with the NC.... Must be the Honda thing.
It really annoys me since new to this day, cause I am very sensitive to abnormal sounds ( I am a pro musician and hear too much :) )
So, I just put the music on louder! He-he-he...:p

Cold starts will cause some fluctuation until warm. Otherwise it may be a vacuum leak

I’ve noticed it. Figured it is a quirk with having a digital display where each bar represents 200 RPM. Drop 1 rpm below the low point for that bar and the bar goes out. Gain that RPM back and the light comes back on. If it was an analog needle you would barely see the needle bounce a little and wouldn’t think anything about it. Generally speaking motors will vary a few rpm at idle.
I have also seen what looks to me like a delay in the display where it will jump several bars at once and then resume a more normal increase in bars.

About 15 seconds after start up ( cold start up ) mine will go up and down a bar until it gets warm amd then it's very steady.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A bike searching for a idle can be a sign of need for a valve service. If its anything like mine was you could be in need of adjustment. If its not a bad fluctuation then it's probably not that far our of adjustment. After my valve service the idle has defiantly become more consistent ( there will always be fluctuation).

A vacuum leak normally will cause a steady, higher than normal idle speed. A lazy or failing O2 sensor, dirty or sticking Idle Air Control, or dirty fuel injector could cause a fluctuating idle speed. A possible cheap fix could be to add a fuel additive/cleaner to the fuel tank for a couple of fill ups and see if your issue is resolved. I am sure Honda sells a good fuel injector, fuel system cleaner/conditioner. Sea Foam is also a great product that has been around for a lot of years, and is harmless to the O2 sensor and cat converter. I am not a snake oil advocate, but these products do have their place and do work in some cases. JMO

A vacuum leak normally will cause a steady, higher than normal idle speed. A lazy or failing O2 sensor, dirty or sticking Idle Air Control, or dirty fuel injector could cause a fluctuating idle speed. A possible cheap fix could be to add a fuel additive/cleaner to the fuel tank for a couple of fill ups and see if your issue is resolved. I am sure Honda sells a good fuel injector, fuel system cleaner/conditioner. Sea Foam is also a great product that has been around for a lot of years, and is harmless to the O2 sensor and cat converter. I am not a snake oil advocate, but these products do have their place and do work in some cases. JMO

I have tried the Sea Foam for a few tanks - did nothing... still searching for idle when warm.

Here's my 2 cents.

It's a motobike. Not a space shuttle Discovery.
If it fluctuates a little up and down, it is called "character".
It is not a refrigerator or a Lexus.

So, lets not over-react.

If it is very erratic and goes beyond a few notches, then it is doctor mechanic time.

Hope this helps.
Live to ride, and not ride to live.
Now go ride and be Happy.
:D

Definitely happens on a cold start. Not sure it really needs a valve service as I have only done 600 miles from new. Thanks for all the advice, will keep an eye out for any issues.

Definitely happens on a cold start. Not sure it really needs a valve service as I have only done 600 miles from new. Thanks for all the advice, will keep an eye out for any issues.

Anything is possible. You may have a one in a million off the assembly line that does need it, or a sensor was a bit fritzy when being installed that day, who knows.

I had my EFI truck do this exact same thing- an RPM up down, up down, up down, thing when started cold, but not warm or hot, happen out of the blue, once.

Turned out to be an idle air speed bleed screw in the throttlebody, needing a little tweak. (not saying this is what yours is, just I know the feeling)

If it's not unbearably annoying, I would just live with it for a while and see what happens. Either that or take it into a Dealer and try to duplicate the symptoms, but that can often prove to be more frustrating than the initial problem, lol.

Good luck regardless, and if anything else shows up, let us know!

I'm sorry for being a bit negative, but I agree with 'Happy Joe,' I think you're worrying about absolutely nothing. If you're worried pop your bike down to your dealer to check it out.

The only idling problems I have had has been that done by my staff when I'm not looking :)
Seriously if you are that worried as the others guys have said get your dealer to check it out even if it's only for your own peace of mind

The only idling problems I have had has been that done by my staff when I'm not looking..
must be a regular thing coz ya always on ere,maybe dats why ya so popular wiv ya staff..oh OK
getmecoat.gif

Back