• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Are you stopped in first gear or neutral?

I'm trying to think if I've ever owned an automatic trans before this truck. My current truck is the newest cage I've owned in 15 years.I don't think I've ever have (not counting "x's" cars)
It's a 1980 F-150 - yeah, I like the oldies. I like everything about it but the MPG! Thank goodness for the NC!

My last was a 98 Ford Ranger and I had to special order it. Replacing it in 2005 couldn't even special order unless smallest engine and stripped down. To make it worse the manual had less towing capacity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll put it in neutral and hawk the mirrors till there 3-4 cars behind me, I rarely have the bike in gear at a red light.

-Jesse

I was taught to leave it in gear and always on the brake checking mirrors. Flashing brake if cars behind don't slow quickly enough and ready to divert if required. So glad
I took the training.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This might be a dead thread now, but it made some points that got me thinking.
From a mechanical point of view, wouldn't it make sense to put the bike in neutral when you're standing still? Holding the clutch will put more strain on the clutch bearings than necessary, but is this also the case with the DCT?
What are your thoughts/experiences?

Now I'm thinking purely mechanical, the safety aspects have been discussed already.

- Stale

...Holding the clutch will put more strain on the clutch bearings than necessary, but is this also the case with the DCT? ...

There is no clutch release bearings in DCT. When stopped DCT clutches are disengaged - no oil pressure. When engine rev. reaches 1400 - 1600 RPM, clutch #1 is engaged.

Last edited:
nearly the only time either of my bikes goes into neutral is when i'm in a nasty section off-road -- trying to hit second from first, or vice versa -- I swear all the bikes I've ridden find neutral best when you DON'T want it, and discourage you from hitting it easily when that's what you are trying for ; }

Last edited by a moderator:
Another tip I read somewhere was to angle your wheels so that if you are rear ended the bike goes between the lines of cars, not into the back of one.

and leave some room in front so it's actually possible ; }

Another tip I read somewhere was to angle your wheels so that if you are rear ended the bike goes between the lines of cars, not into the back of one.

Better still to put the bike between the two cars so that you can't be rear ended. Unfortunately, in the US that's only legal in one state.

Bike in the gear, angled towards escape route, eyes observing mirrors. Putting in neutral only when several cars are lined up behind me.

Do you sit at a light in first gear or in neutral?

I noticed when gearing down, I can go into first gear nice and smooth right before I stop.
If it's a long light, sometimes I'll put it in neutral while I wait, but I don't like the big "clunk" I get when it goes into first gear.

One of the tips I read over at ADvrider was to stay in first gear a little ways back from the car in front of you. That way, if you see a car coming up too fast (like they don't see you), you'll have a fast exit.

I like that idea plus the fact that I don't have to experience the "clunk". I can't help but think the ker-chunk into first gear is bad for the tranny.

Am I being paranoid about the tranny? Are they supposed to do it?

I am less concerned about the transmission than I am about safety. Ask yourself this: what would you do if an ambulance or firetruck came up from behind, sirens wailing? What would you do if you saw that car, semi, or pickup in your mirrors not seeming to be slowing down as they approached your rear tire? Do you think you have time to reach for the clutch, pull it in, put the bike in gear (which mean probably having to rebalance the bike if you have both feet on the ground or are in a proper three-point stance with your right foot on the rear brake), find your exit strategy and then react to get out of harm's way?

The simple answer to the last one is 'no, you don't'. Being rear-ended will be a **lot** more damaging to your motorcycle than putting it in gear from neutral.

Jurisdictions differ but where I live the law states that motorcycles must remain in gear at all times when on a highway (any conveyance upon which vehicles travel that is not private property), using the clutch or similar mechanism to remain at a signalled or unsignalled stop when necessary. I would suggest you check with the Highway Act or similar laws governing the operation of motor vehicles on roadways in your area to see if it is even legal to put your bike in neutral at a stop light or stop sign.

Back