• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2014 NC700x DCT won't go into Drive Mode

lotrtolkien2

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all,
Had my first motorcycle wreck about 1600 miles from my house last week. I dropped the bike at around 20 mph or so, then it wouldn't start back up. Wound up trailering the bike home and now that I'm looking at it, I'm confused.
When you turn the ignition on, the bike registers being in first gear. Rolling it back and forth doesn't kick it back down. If I hold the front brake, it'll start right up then registers as being in neutral. No shift sound comes from the bike though, and after getting it started, still won't go into drive or manual mode.
It definitely acts like it's actually in neutral, no power goes to the wheels if you twist the throttle. But when you turn the ignition off then back on, it registers in first again.
Im absolutely befuddled. Any ideas/ anything I might be missing?

As a result of the drop, are there any areas of the bike that may have suffered from impact, such as the right side engine case, handlebar switchgear, front wheel ABS sensor/ring, etc.?

The drop was on the left hand side, sitting on the bike. I'll definitely be needing a new turn signal, mirror, and footpeg. The left hand switchgear had the upshift button break off, which I initially thought was the issue. I checked wiring with a multimeter and it was still intact, so I hooked up a momentary switch in its place just for testing.
Everything else on the switchgear is undamaged. Abs rings both front and rear appear to be okay too. No worries about engine casings either, my engine guards seem to have done their job.

When you initially turn the ignition switch on, what do you hear? Do you hear the shift motor repeatedly trying to put the DCT into neutral?
Do you see gear indicator flashing?
And make sure the battery is in good condition. Temporarily remove the head light fuse (15A - #9?) or disconnect the head light to reduce the load.

@670cc
I didn't before, but I do know. Sidestand switch looks undamaged and seems to be working properly, once I have the bike running putting the sidestand down shuts off the bike.
@lootzyan
When I turn the ignition on, all I heard at first was the fuel pump priming. Listening closer, once that's done I can hear the shift motor clicking repeatedly. The gear inidicator shows a "1" when the ignition is turned on, then once you start the bike holding the front brake it changes to a solid horizontal line, and will not go into drive. If you kill the engine with the sidestand or killswitch, the indicator immediately changes back to a "1", no flashing error codes or anything. Same thing if you turn the bike off with the ignition and turn it back on.

Pulling the headlight fuse made no discernable difference. Tried running the bike off of a buddy's battery as well, same thing.

Try again as recommended by the owner's manual:
"Turn the ignition switch to OFF and move the motorcycle back and forth slightly (to disengage the gears).
It is hard to suspect that the neutral switch is faulty. But you could check if it works properly.
There is also a note in the owner's manual: "If you can't shift from N to D mode and the “-” indicator is blinking: Damage is preventing you from riding. Have your motorcycle inspected by your dealer immediately."

Last edited:
This discussion drags up old memories of a common early NC DCT failure that resulted from a faulty component called the shifter pin. I don‘t remember the model years Honda built it with the weak part, but this being a 2014, it may be affected. Hang on and I will see if I can find shifter pin failure discussions from the “archives”.

In the mean time, I suggest searching the forum for the term “shifter pin”, and see if the symptoms described match yours. Here is an example thread returned from the search: https://nc700-forum.com/threads/dct...ing-resolved-4-26-21.18841/page-2#post-233759

@lootzyan
No dice on pushing it back and forth with the ignition off, the bike still thinks it's in first when you turn the key on. Neutral switch was something I thought about too, but I also agree with you, I don't think that's the issue here. I also can't get the "-" indicator to blink, whenever it shows up it's solid.
@670cc
That honestly seems pretty spot-on. Given the issue happened right after a drop, I could definitely see it being a weak mechanical part giving way. Here's hoping I won't have to tear into that, but might be doing that this weekend if I get the chance. I'm pretty confident in my skills handling a job like that, just wouldn't be much fun.

Back