• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

At the NC horizons unlimited meet

7a8ubuqa.jpg

This was à workshop taught by a guy who toured mexico, he was a riot! We also had a border crossing workshop, touring Australia, touring Russia, tire changing, and I forget the rest right now.

Rode to bryson city for lunch and saw the train there. Lots of wet riding here this weekend but it was a blast!
y5azynep.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Over the years I have seen a lot of tire changing classes at a lot of different rallies. Today's tire class was the best I ever saw, because he showed us a new tool that makes the job so much easier, he delivered the information as good as I ever seen done.8.jpg

This has been great rally, and if had not rained it would have been perfect.

smileyRain.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
... tire changing ... he showed us a new tool that makes the job so much easier....
Do tell, please, what this new tool is, where we might buy it, cost, and is it for the home shop (garage) or is it something for the road?

I've repaired a lot of bicycle tires in my time (growing up in Arizona, bullheads were the bane of my childhood riding days) but must confess changing a motorcycle tire intimidates so an easy to use tool could be just the ticket.

Yesterday Cyclerosis, a BMS rider and I took a ride up to the Dragon. Been there many times but a Horizons member mentioned his favorite road in the area on the way to Dragon, Upper Tuskegee Rd. that went from near the campground to Stecoah dam. It was awesome. Rained a fair amount just after we got started, but we had our rain gear off to ride dry roads on the Dragon's Tail. Rain in forecast kept most of the Harley riders away so on a Saturday we had a rare occurrence of good road on the Dragon with little traffic. Apparently there was a fatality last week so the law was out in force. I saw 2 on bikes and 3 more in cars then heard I missed several. Not a problem. Just ride the curves as fast as your skills allow and get off the throttle coming out of the curve and you won't be going fast enough to get more of their attention than you want. To me it is not about how fast I can go in the straights and how hard I can brake prior to curve. Talked to another Horizons participant at the Gap who made the mistake of passing someone in an officer's site. Costly mistake.

This picture is at the overlook. Cameron, BMR rider, on left with red hat, Cyclerosis on right.
photo-1.JPG

Stopped at Deals Gap for lunch. Somewhere behind me in this picture is one of OCR's mirrors from a previous visit. He will have to finish healing his shoulder before he can add to the display. Did not see any NC parts and I say lets keep it that way.
photo-2.JPG

Sad to say good byes at breakfast after such a great meeting. Had to pack my tent wet. Set it up on porch when I got home to dry.
Tento%2520on%2520porch.jpg

All in all an awesome weekend. Great to meet three other NC owners and ride with two of them. OCR is loaded up with great tales to tell. Horizons Unlimited is a great group. If there is an event in your area and you don't go you will miss a great opportunity to meet some really interesting people and learn a wealth of information about traveling with a motorcycle.

Now to pack up my truck and head to Mississippi for a sawmill visit in the morning. :( Guess I have to pay for my NC fun somehow.

Last edited:
Sounds like a great time.sad to say i couldn't go.would also like to hear more about this new tire changing tool.

Glad you guys had a great time! Did you guys get to meet Mike Kilpatrick. I believe he was responsible for the program this year. Excellent guy. He and I did a Saddle Sore 1000 the November after Katrina. I think I saw him this morning heading back into Athens on his aqua blue BMW airhead gs.
I would have loved to be there, but I had a big meeting yesterday that ran into the early evening. I thought about crashing last night, but only if we got the meeting done early afternoon. It wasn't to be.
Hopefully I'll get to make it next year!
Erik

Ocr your allot of fun to be around. If anybody gets the chance to meet this guy, you should take it. He's a great guy and he can entertain you for hours with stories of his life experiences, and keep you laughing. So glad you made it to HU even if it was on four wheels

+1 on that statement!

Glad you guys had a great time! Did you guys get to meet Mike Kilpatrick. I believe he was responsible for the program this year. Excellent guy. He and I did a Saddle Sore 1000 the November after Katrina. I think I saw him this morning heading back into Athens on his aqua blue BMW airhead gs.
I would have loved to be there, but I had a big meeting yesterday that ran into the early evening. I thought about crashing last night, but only if we got the meeting done early afternoon. It wasn't to be.
Hopefully I'll get to make it next year!
Erik

Doc, Yes we met Mike, I talked to him quite a bit over the days of the event. I had him reading this forum as a matter of fact on my Nexus 7 tablet. He was really happy to see all the posts and updates we were posting on the event. This morning when I was getting ready to leave he came over and talked to me and specifically said that he hoped that we would have a bunch of the riders from this forum turn out for next years event. Mike is a great guy, I really enjoyed talking to him.

We met another guy (I can't remember his name for the life of me), and he is going to join our forum. I don't even remember what he rides, but he heard us talking so much about the forum he wants to be a part of it :D It's great meeting people like this at these events. Great people!!!
smileythumbsup.jpg

At the tire changing class we got introduced to a new Motion Pro Tire Bead Breaker tool. So simple and easy to use. Why someone has not thought of something this simple before is beyond me. The tool will fit right into your tool bag, and can be rolled away with the rest of your tools. With this tool, on the road a tire change takes about 8 minutes. No more big heavy clamp tool, no more having to use the side stand, just this simple tool. It currently is pricey like anything new, but I just got to have one my tool sack.8.jpg

002.jpg

Bead Breaker.jpg

smileybucktooth.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
Yesterday Netizen, a BMS rider and I took a ride up to the Dragon.

That was actually Cyclerosis. I was in Bryson City while you guys were tearing up the Dragon.

I met up with that young couple with the Russian type accent there. They had flown down to Asheville and got picked up at the airport by someone from a motorcycle shop where they bought a used KLR. They had hardly any riding gear (no rain gear) but they were having the time of their life riding and just soaking up everything at all of the presentations this week. It was cool just watching the smiles on their faces as they watched the slide shows.

They told me how they had gone to the dragon first in pouring rain then rode to Bryson city in pouring rain to get lunch. I had to break the bad news to them that more rain was already between us and the Iron Horse lodge. They went into the Dollar General and bought one of those cheap rain ponchos to ride in. I had to laugh, cuz I remembered doing the same thing at that age when I was new to riding. I warned them that it would be flapping all over the place and would not last long as the wind would tear it.

They headed off with smiles on their faces to face the rain on the ride back in their bright orange (very thin) $1 rain poncho.

I left about 5 minutes after them, but caught up to them shortly after getting on 28. I was not surprised to NOT see the orange poncho as I passed them in the rain. They both had HUGE smiles on their faces even though they were getting soaked for the third time in the past 5 hours.

Once they arrived at Iron horse they came over to me at my bike and when I asked where the orange poncho was, she pulled it out of her jacket pocket. She said it was flying up wrapping around her face and she couldn't see a thing and no matter what she did she couldn't hold it down. (this was interesting to hear in that accent) They were still all smiles.

I had a really hard time resisting the urge to reach into my top case and give them my rain suit. It's so nice to see young riders at that age enjoying riding that much... made me re-live going through that time in my own life. I've been buying gear for my daughter (also new rider) for the past year as well as trying to upgrade my own and accessorize my bike, and I have stretched myself beyond my limit financially, but I think I may still wish I had given them the suit even though it is my only true rain suit. I think the impact it would have made on them would have been well worth it. Every time I remember those smiles on their faces I can't help but smile myself!

smileyteeth.jpg

At the tire changing class we got introduced to a new Motion Pro Tire Bead Breaker tool. So simple and easy to use. Why someone has not thought of something this simple before is beyond me. The tool will fit right into your tool bag, and can be rolled away with the rest of your tools. With this tool, on the road a tire change takes about 8 minutes. No more big heavy clamp tool, no more having to use the side stand, just this simple tool. It currently is pricey like anything new, but I just got to have one my tool sack.

It is not often that you have to (or want to) break the bead on a tubeless tire in order to repair a flat. The only time I would carry it with a tubeless set-up is on a long expedition where I expected to either have to change tires on the road or possibly repair a wide gash by installing a tube. If you plan to do this, you obviously have to be sure you have a tube to put in there. I carried a set (front and rear) to Alaska. Some people carry internal patches for this, but I have not had good luck with internal patches on tubeless tires.

Now, with tube type tires, it is a good tool to have with you at all times. I think I will invest in a set for the old-timey beemers.

Back