• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

At the NC horizons unlimited meet

That was my fault, Beemerphile, if forgot to mention. Two parts to this one tool. One side is the tire bead breaker, and the other side in the tire tool. So, one tool does it all. I would have to carry one more tire tool, because three just works so much easier than two.5.jpg

SmileyToungeSuperLong.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
Another great point that was pointed out at the tire changing class was something I have never ever even thought about in all my years of riding.
Most flats are on the back tire, now that I did know. The front tire hits the object (nail, brad, and etc) first, this throws the object up off the ground into to the air, and (bingo) the object lands at the perfect angle to be pushed into the rear tire causing the flat.

Now I always thought of a front fender mud guard to be just a "mud" deflector. However, this mud deflector will also defect the objects that are being thrown at the back tire causing the flats. Now, only a fellow who travels around the world would have even noticed that! They don't say this will stop all flats, but it will cut the number of flats you have in half.

The fellow who sells the front fender mud deflectors needs to advertise this fact. Change the name to the "Front Fender Nail/Mud Deflector".
Even at my age, you still learn something new every day.6.jpg

smileytooth.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
That was my fault, Beemerphile, if forgot to mention. Two parts to this one tool. One side is the tire bead breaker, and the other side in the tire tool. So, one tool does it all. I would have to carry one more tire tool, because three just works so much easier than two.

Agree that three are needed. I prefer the longer narrower irons when I have a good space for them on the bike. BMW airheads have a 24" long straight empty top frame tube which is perfect for carrying them. I also carry the bead buddies (for bikes with spoked wheels) which work well to hold part of the bead in the well when mounting so you don't have to hold a tire spoon down with your knee.

Motion Pro Bead Buddy II Aluminum Tire Tool - Street Motorcycle - Motorcycle Superstore

Tube type tires often bead break by themselves before you can even get to the edge of the road (or the scene of the crash). Don't assume that what looks easy with a tube type tire and wheel will directly translate to tubeless. Wheels for tubeless tires have a bead retention design and the tires will never walk off by themselves even if you shred them. But then again you seldom need to break them so that is normally a happy thing. When you do need to break them, it takes solid gear. My Ninja method for bead-breaking on tubeless tires is this guy...

BestRest Products, LLC - BeadBrakR

There are as many tricks as there are tricksters. Whatever works is great. The key in any case is to be practiced in your method and equipment. Even though I have a fancy NoMar tire changer, once per year I change a tire with the tools I carry in order to confirm that I can still do it.

At the tire changing class we got introduced to a new Motion Pro Tire Bead Breaker tool. So simple and easy to use. ... With this tool, on the road a tire change takes about 8 minutes. ...just this simple tool.

Confused. Sorry to be dense, guys, but the pix fuzzy posted was T-6 Trail Bead Buddy, OCR posted a pix of bead breaker levers, and then there was discussion about the bead breaker levers being not really necessary with tubeless tires. (And, in fact, the pix that goes with the levers shows a spoked rim which I think means a tube). I'm all for ease (demo by a pro in 8 min probably means a half hour + for me - on a good day) but for the neophyte (that's me), what is it we should be looking for?

Confused. Sorry to be dense, guys, but the pix fuzzy posted was T-6 Trail Bead Buddy, OCR posted a pix of bead breaker levers, and then there was discussion about the bead breaker levers being not really necessary with tubeless tires. (And, in fact, the pix that goes with the levers shows a spoked rim which I think means a tube). I'm all for ease (demo by a pro in 8 min probably means a half hour + for me - on a good day) but for the neophyte (that's me), what is it we should be looking for?

I'll try this, in case I was the one confusing you. With a tube type tire and wheel, you can almost always improvise a bead breaker. That does not mean that a purpose built bead breaker is not a very nice convenience. I carry a bead breaker with tube type tires. However, if you plan to break the bead on a tubeless tire, you had better have some purpose built equipment. The tubeless wheel angles in at 5 degrees towards the bead. There is often a ridge as well. These are called "bead retention features". Tube type wheels do not have this. Tube type wheels angle away from the bead at about 4 degrees. That is why the tube type wheel often breaks its own bead while you are trying to stop. The other thing to consider with tubeless tires and wheels is what is the situation whereby you would want to break the bead? I can only think of two:

1) If you wanted to be able to install a carried spare tire on the side of the road.
2) If you wanted to be able to break one bead to install an emergency tube or internal patch.

Otherwise, tubeless tires are generally repaired on the wheel with the wheel on the bike. I would not burden by steed with the weight and volume of a bead breaker unless I was planning to use it. I carried my Bead-BrakR to Alaska because I carried an emergency tube for each wheel. When I got home, the Bead-BrakR and emergency tubes when back in the cabinet where they currently reside. I don't take them everywhere I go. But I do carry tubeless tire repair materials and equipment. On my tube type bikes, I always carry a bead breaker.

That lady in the picture with me, Madeleine, she is the real expert in how to get through customs. She has her ducks in order. She taught the class on customs at the Horizons rally. She is a school teacher during the school year, but come summer she rides, and rides, and rides, and rides. Yes, I'd say she's a real biker.4.jpg

smileyladylaff.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
The rain stopped just long enough to enjoy the last 50 or so miles to the campground. Got registered and paid then scouted out this perfect spot to put up the tarp, in the rain.

HU1.jpg

I didn't get a photo, but there was someone there with a tarp stretched between some trees and a hammock strung underneath. Very lightweight setup.

The rain stopped just long enough to enjoy the last 50 or so miles to the campground. Got registered and paid then scouted out this perfect spot to put up the tarp, in the rain.

View attachment 7293

I didn't get a photo, but there was someone there with a tarp stretched between some trees and a hammock strung underneath. Very lightweight setup.

Were the camp sites with the fine gravel pits the sites with electrical hookups?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Were the camp sites with the fine gravel pits the sites with electrical hookups?

Not the one I used. But slightly off topic, but sort of pertaining to the trip. Excluding the miles still on the trip meter, I logged 1309.3 miles and used a total of 18.57 gallons of fuel, which gives an average of just over 70 mpg. Pretty good considering much of this trip was in the 70 to 75 mph range. These bikes rock!

...Otherwise, tubeless tires are generally repaired on the wheel with the wheel on the bike. I would not burden by steed with the weight and volume of a bead breaker unless I was planning to use it. ... I do carry tubeless tire repair materials and equipment. On my tube type bikes, I always carry a bead breaker.

Thank You! for the clarification. Will copy/paste this into a Word file I keep with useful information for future reference. It will join your treatise on chain maintenance you posted a while back.

BTW, based on this and other posts and the thread about repairing a slow rim leak for another rider, your surgery doesn't seem to have slowed you down too much. Glad you're feeling up to it all. As I'm sure your wife tells you at least 10 times a day, "don't overdo". ;)

I bought on of those pics off xtremesports photography website. They charge $7.00 for a single pic, then discount if you buy additional. This was taken last Friday when fuzzy and I rode the cherohala skyway.
rugysetu.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Doug Wothke was one of the most entertaining and interesting presenters. He left on "Dirt Bag", a Harley bagger converted to a hack, to travel the Trans America Trail, off road across the U.S. His ride reports are great. Here is link to his TAT report on ADV:
Just another TAT ride report, on a Harley DirtBag - ADVrider

Here is Dirt Bag at work:
531872_700737093275812_1604590457_n.jpg

1091194_515041508578717_1324150972_o.jpg

Motorcycle - A two-wheeled vehicle that is powered by a motor and has no pedals.

Doug Wothke - One of the must know people on this planet!0.jpg

SmileyBigeEyesTongue.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
I you haven't seen Doug's around Russia Harley Buell, it is a sight to behold. Even Nortwestrider would admire theses Harley changes.1.jpg

SmileyMaybe.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
Back