• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

ATTN: HondaBikePro, Beemerphile, other clever fabricators or idea people

As you had altered the suspension at both ends that should equal things out. Usually if you alter only one end you make a difference.
maybe I'm I'm worrying too much due to relating to the days when I acted as gofer for a race team where altering suspension by mm made a difference

I totally hear you mate, a younger LBS on his GSXR750 or Interceptor, NSR's, CBR's etc., would very vocally quibble about mucking with suspensions without careful regard for front/rear balance, ride height, static sag, damping, preload, oil type, volume and viscosity, and so on and so forth.

Old LBS doesn't really care so much, as he doesn't use the NCX for anything approaching "fast" or "corner carving" or "over taking" etc.

I specifically bought the 700 with a mind to putter and bimble along on dirt backroads, and un-trafficked scenic stuff. One of my main criteria when test riding the 700 was how comfortably slow it would go in first gear with no throttle input, for example...:D

So after this sat in the back of my mind for awhile, suddenly last night I had an: "Well freaking, DUH!" epiphany, lol. :eek:

I can't believe I didn't think of this straight away. :rolleyes:

Two of these to thread into the bike's stock mirror perches: RAM-B-349U (M10X1.25" pitch 1" ball on aluminum stud)

ramb349.jpg

One of these that I already have: RAP-B-200-12U (RAM mount plastic twist arm B-socket)

rapb200-12.jpg
rapb201x2.jpg
rapb201x1.jpg

And finally, two of these: (M10X1.25" pitch Flanged nuts)

m10fnut.jpg

I simply split apart the two "halves" of the Twist arm clamp, and they clamp to left side and right side ball/stud mounts in the stock mirror perches. Then, after removing and discarding that little centre plastic hexagon connector button that the Twist arms swivelled around, I put an M10 flanged nut ("upside down") in each end of the now seperate left/right clamps, and threaded the mirror stems into. :D

I will update with pictures once I figure out why my camera is suddenly now on the fritz...
:confused:

Last edited:
That's pretty ingenious! How well do they stay in place at speed? If they slip a little because of the flanged nuts' surfaces, you could rough them up with sandpaper or a wire wheel for a little extra grip.

That's pretty ingenious! How well do they stay in place at speed? If they slip a little because of the flanged nuts' surfaces, you could rough them up with sandpaper or a wire wheel for a little extra grip.

Thanks for the idea- the RAM clamps tighten down with surprising strength, but your idea is a good one regardless, to do as a preventitive back up anyway. :)

Same with the clamps on the rubber ball mounts, they are very tenacious and don't move at all (maybe they'd move on a Hayabusa, but my bike? haha all is good)

So, technically they work as I envisioned, but...

clearancea.jpg

LBS Mirror Mod MKIc.jpg

clearanceb.jpg

LBS Mirror Mod MKIb.jpg

...I'm afraid I'll have to give the LBS Mirror Mod MKI a failing grade :(

Some rough roads, some highway jaunts, and a few cycles of loose and tight, the flange nuts are wallowing out the non-precise flats of the hexagon holes in the RAM mounts.

It's not a question of surface grip, so much as the actual fasteners are too small for the plastic to mate with, so only basically two points are being clamped, versus 6 flats. I think I can address this by wrapping each flange nut in a ribbon of epoxy putty, to make the circumference larger and more closely match the kind of crude hexagon the plastic molded RAM base has.

Wish me luck for MKII lol

Attachments

• LBS Mirror Mod MKIa.jpg
    LBS Mirror Mod MKIa.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
Since you have Rox Risers, instead of folding the mirrors, fold the handlebars as the mirrors will come down with it. See whether you can adapt 2 of those bicycle quick release to 2 of the 4 bolts securing the handlebar top cover to the Rox (not the ones securing the Rox to the steering stem). Release them and fold down then tighten again. Down side is you may not be able to steer the bike with the handlebar in down position.

Bicycle-Quick-Release.jpg

Since you have Rox Risers, instead of folding the mirrors, fold the handlebars as the mirrors will come down with it. See whether you can adapt 2 of those bicycle quick release to 2 of the 4 bolts securing the handlebar top cover to the Rox (not the ones securing the Rox to the steering stem). Release them and fold down then tighten again. Down side is you may not be able to steer the bike with the handlebar in down position.

Bicycle-Quick-Release.jpg

Hah ha, good call Ray, thanks-

That was my very first take on a solution, listed with a picture of the Wunderlich devices for exactly such a purpose, in my first post in this thread. ;)

I have held off with reinstalling my Rox risers and trying the bar adjusters, because even with the bars rotated back as far/low as they'll go, I'm unsure as to whether they will clear under the height restriction I have. The height of the stock bar end on the right side wedges up into the soffit as it is now. Going up about an inch and a bit from there with the Rox install, would thus require the bars to be able to rotate back down at least 2" again, to return to *just* clearing.

I really do want to put the Rox on, and I can't without a bar-clamp quick release set up anyway, so eventually I guess I will reach the point of having to do it, and just see what happens. :eek:

Back