• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Battery (how long do they last)?

kjang

Reaction score
Visit site
Since I read about how NOT to and HOW to jump start a dead motorcycle battery.
Tell me when its a good time to replace a motorcycle battery?
Where is a good place to buy a motorcycle battery?
What is a good brand?

On marine batteries, I typically replace my boats batteries every 3rd to 4th year.
On my car battery, I typically replace on the 5th year to 6th year.

Ken

Last edited:
I run mine until it shows signs of weakening, or if its 8 years old. I am still running my Yuasa original Goldwing battery at 12 years age, but for peace of mind I moved it to my lawn mower when it was 9 years old.

I replace boat batteries at 4-5 years because the consequences of a dead boat battery can be serious. I'd say changing the bike battery at 5-6 years would be prudent if you are concerned about reliability. The climate you live in can be a factor. I believe hot climates are worse on batteries than cold climates.

Hey kjang, I am in the San Francisco Bay area also. I usually buy my batteries from the most local brick and mortar that I can find; unless, it's Sunday, then I go to Cycle Gear. I've had terrible luck with bike master batteries good luck with interstate batteries. My last commuter bike the battery gave me six years of service, the ATK eats one about every 18 months. I think on bikes the battery life is determined by how much vibration it experiences.

I get a longer life out of the boat batteries but I tend them religiously.

I run mine until it shows signs of weakening, or if its 8 years old. I am still running my Yuasa original Goldwing battery at 12 years age, but for peace of mind I moved it to my lawn mower when it was 9 years old.

Would you attribute any of that longevity to using a tender over the winter months? I'm assuming you use one. I've never had a motorcycle battery die on me but I've never kept a bike over 3-4 years.

i have 2005 mercedes benz e320 with original battery (i believe it's a sealed,gel battery,same type as yuasa?) and it works just fine. my next door neighbor sold his MB( 14 years old and if i remember things correctly he changed his battery(same type) after 12 years. both of us regularly charging them,specially during the winter. so-'advanced' type of battery can last 10 years or more. but i'm talking about cars,not bikes. on bike-every time i connect my CTEK charger-it shows-battery full

Would you attribute any of that longevity to using a tender over the winter months? I'm assuming you use one. I've never had a motorcycle battery die on me but I've never kept a bike over 3-4 years.

I don't leave the batteries on the tender full time. I just pop the tender on every three of four weeks in the winter until the green light comes on, then take it off. I attribute the long life to cold storage, since in the winter the machines and batteries stay in an unheated building that drops to whatever the central Illinois outside temperature is. Taking the batteries out and storing them in a heated space would be detrimental to their life span. The other factor is that during the riding season, all the machines get frequent use.

it sounds like about 6 years or so, to replace.
I ride all the time, except during the winter.
I DO NOT put it on a tender battery charger (trickle charge).
During the winter months that I don't ride, I will start the bike and let it warm up a little.

Thanks for all the responses.
Ken

I ride all the time, except during the winter.
I DO NOT put it on a tender battery charger (trickle charge).
During the winter months that I don't ride, I will start the bike and let it warm up a little.

Thanks for all the responses.
Ken

Sorry if this starts another cousin to the oil thread (the winterizing thread or storage thread?). Starting the bike and letting it warm up a "little" is bad news. Unless you take it for a half hour ride and get it to full operating condition, you are far better off to leave it alone over the winter.

You replace an AGM SLI battery typically when it looses 50% of its capacity. In hotter climates you may keep it a little longer.

It's not easy to estimate how much time a battery will survive. This depends on many factors. Climate (in cold climates will last longer), the traffic conditions (idling and low revs may not charge enough the battery to avoid sulfation. They can even discharge the battery.), your driving habits (rpm again), your daily distances (short trips are the worst)... In ideal conditions should deliver at least 3-4 years.

Personally, I switched to a LiFePO4 battery (Ballistic EVO2 12 Cell), because of my daily short trips (about 12' with many stops at traffic lights). it was impossible to achieve a full charge to avoid sulfation and the Yuasa battery could maintain half of its capacity in just a year and a half... The LFP is fully charged in just 10'!

GS - Yuasa is a good brand. I've to check for others... Odyssey is the best but I don't know if they have any model that fits into the NC.

Sorry if this starts another cousin to the oil thread (the winterizing thread or storage thread?). Starting the bike and letting it warm up a "little" is bad news. Unless you take it for a half hour ride and get it to full operating condition, you are far better off to leave it alone over the winter.
You're right. It is bad news.

A lead acid battery must be always fully charged to avoid sulfation. You may plug a battery maintainer and forget it. Trickle chargers must be avoided. They can easily overcharge and dry the battery.

Yuasa Batteries - Maintenance
http://www.yuasabatteries.com/pdfs/TechManual_2014.pdf

Personally, I switched to a LiFePO4 battery (Ballistic EVO2 12 Cell), because of my daily short trips (about 12' with many stops at traffic lights).

Wow! I salute your dedication! Your traffic lights are astonishingly close together!!

I love riding as much as the next guy, but I still have to ask: With a commute of only 12 feet, wouldn't you be better off just walking?

:p ;)

It is 12 minutes using the prime notation! :)

It was 12 to 15 damned minutes with 9 traffic lights for just 2,4 Km (1.4 mi [US])... Was, because I'm unemployed since March :-/

The one thing I have gained from this thread so far is the realization that you can't push start a boat.

The one thing I have gained from this thread so far is the realization that EVERYBODY get better battery life than I do.:( Never had a battery last longer than 2-3 years in any vehicle regardless of make or warranty. Had several that didn't make it 30 days.

The one thing I have gained from this thread so far is the realization that EVERYBODY get better battery life than I do.:( Never had a battery last longer than 2-3 years in any vehicle regardless of make or warranty. Had several that didn't make it 30 days.

Like I said, climate is a factor. I see Tuscon, AZ in your profile, so maybe . . .

Last edited:
It is 12 minutes using the prime notation! :)

It was 12 to 15 damned minutes with 9 traffic lights for just 2,4 Km (1.4 mi [US])... Was, because I'm unemployed since March :-/

I knew what you meant, I just thought it was more humorous the way I wrote it. ;)
Sorry about the unemployed part. Good luck in finding something new and better!

Good rule of thumb:

If you use your bike daily: About two years !

If the poor bike sits rejected: About two weeks !!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, RIDE !

Last edited:
Am i correct to say that each country Honda or any other makes, will contract a Battery from the local battery supplier? Or is the battery also part of the bike shipment crate?
I have not looked carefully at mine and it is 2 years old. Never been charged via a battery tender even during winter (garaged) but then I start her up at least every 4 weeks.

Batteries are a funny thing. They can go on day 1 or they can go on forever.

Back